Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are South Asians really embarrassed of their origins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are South Asians really embarrassed of their origins?

Originally posted by wifeseeker View Post
    You ought to come meet the locals.
    Proper Pakistani People.
    In Salwaar Kameez even in the winter.
    What is this nonsense about being embarrassed.

Pakistan is less than 100 years old.
    Whereas the culture is a lot older and spans all across the Asian region.
    Nationality can change and so can identity.
    Use it or lose it.

Majority of 'ethnics' in the West are products of the West.
    They have been fed and nurtured by the West.
    It's a fact.
    They don't intentionally try to lose older cultural values.
    It's merely a consequence.

Wait till you see the next generation Somali's.
    Unless the community as a whole makes and effort, they will end up Western.
    already happening, I can remember how rare it was when I first became Muslim to meet westernized somalis, you'd get secular somalis, but not outright westernized ones. Now you do.
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
      I really don't like talking about my ethnicity and where I was born/citizenship. Cos I always get side-glances from people of my ethnicity, like they don't believe I'm Somali.
      I was born in Norway but raised in the UK, so which should I claim, and would they 'claim' me back?
      Why would they not believe you?

Comment

Originally posted by thebench View Post
        Why would they not believe you?
        right, I always get "you don't look somali" often from annoying youngsters from my ethnicity, I don't think adults would say that
        وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
          right, I always get "you don't look somali" often from annoying youngsters from my ethnicity, I don't think adults would say that
          What do they say you look like? I think I say that sometimes. It just comes out. Especially when it comes to Barawanis. It's amazing how diverse Somalis are. You don't see that with English people for example.

I can see how it would be annoying.

Comment

"Hi. Bob Evergreen here. And today I'm going to share the Jospel of Gesus Christ with you."
            Click image for larger version

Name:	e0011993_55c1c0deef531.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	10764772

WOULD YOU?! :D
            No, I think everybody should play to their strengths, and not try too hard.
            Say what somebody can do instead of the haram if you want to help.

Comment

I don't think the majority are, though some may be.
              You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
                Ethnicity is different to nationality. I was raised in England, as was my father as well. But ethnically I am Irish and I would never say I am English, they are a different ethnicity, and the more I study history and indeed present day culture the less I would wish to be associated with them.

So I would say I am Irish by ethnicity, or British if you ask my nationality.
                I think I mentioned ethnicity didn't I? Yes it seems I did.

I'm not ethnically Welsh. I wouldn't consider you ethnically Irish either. If you consider yourself to be so then that's fine if you feel comfortable saying that about yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by thebench View Post
                  What do they say you look like? I think I say that sometimes. It just comes out. Especially when it comes to Barawanis. It's amazing how diverse Somalis are. You don't see that with English people for example.

I can see how it would be annoying.
                  Peeps say I just don't look very Somali, perhaps South African, Kenyan, once in high school a friend (who is jamaican) said that I looked Caribbean.

Honestly this happened more when I didn't wear hijab
                  وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Rifqah View Post
                    I think I mentioned ethnicity didn't I? Yes it seems I did.

I'm not ethnically Welsh. I wouldn't consider you ethnically Irish either. If you consider yourself to be so then that's fine if you feel comfortable saying that about yourself.
                    It may be true in your case, but ethnicity is a matter of lineage, not just where you were born or raised.
                    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
                      already happening, I can remember how rare it was when I first became Muslim to meet westernized somalis, you'd get secular somalis, but not outright westernized ones. Now you do.
                      The main difference is that Somalis only have been in the west since the early 90s but Desi's have been in the West for longer.
                      There are more westernized Desis than there are Somalis probably because Desis have been in the UK longer than Somalis. I don't think there's anything else. The main difference is time. Not necessarily whether one is liberal or conservative.
                      نحن قوما اعزنا الله بالإسلام فإن ابتغينا عزة بغيره أذلنا الله

Comment

It's awkward. Someone asks me where I'm from. I'll be like birmingham or pakistan?
                        There is a clock on your forehead counting down to the time of your death. Only Allah knows how many seconds are left on it

Comment

I say I'm Bangladeshi mainly to differentiate myself from others. It sets up different set of expectations on you, I suppose.

If discussion goes further on the subject I explain I was born in here.

Comment

I don't think so. Why to be embarrassed.
                            As a matter of fact majority of people think I am Arab due to my abaya n naqab but I clear their misconception at the spot "NO NO I AM FROM PAKISTAN" :D

Comment

Working...
                            X