Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hijab related question, mainly for sisters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hijab related question, mainly for sisters.

Asalaam Alaikum,

I will get straight to the point. I am going to be starting my new job next week Monday, and I am thinking of starting to wear the hijab. I have been thinking about wearing the hijab for the longest time, but just did not have the strength to do so as I was still in school and a different work place. I thought I didn't have the courage to start wearing the hijab in the middle of everything. But now since I am done with school and starting a new career, I want to start a fresh.

I know ultimately the decision is up to me, but I would love any suggestion/tips or feedback to strengthen my imaan and do it to obey Allah's commands. Since the start date is very near, I have been going through an inner turmoil in deciding if I should start wearing it from the first day, like cold turkey, or gradually transition into it. Just to note, I am not just going to wear it for work. I am talking about in my everyday life as well. I don't have any hijab wearing friends around me to ask for help or support, hence why I am asking here.

I have read online some sisters recommending to set a date and take it slow and steady. And some just going for it. My dilemma is not so much about what others will think, it is more about if I can remain true to my faith and keep it on. I don't want to feel to have it take off midway. I am not being able to come to a decision. In the morning I will be like "yes, I am going to do it from the start date" and then in the afternoon, I am like "No, may be I should wear it out and be confident in it....." Sometimes, I also have Satanic whispers in my head that "what if I don't get to make any friends because people may treat me different with a mere piece of cloth on my head. I am hating feeling and thinking this way.

In one way, I am feeling glad that perhaps Allah swt is guiding me some way. But then I am also guilty that I kind of weak in faith to actually start wearing it already. I had worn it during 4 years of high school, and somehow I didn't get bothered by these type of thoughts a bit. People have called me different names, but Alhamdulillah I didn't seem to care at all. Then I took it off in college for reasons best not mentioned in this post. I don't know why I am feeling this way now.

Please, any help would be very much helpful.

JazakAllah Khairan

Re: Hijab related question, mainly for sisters.

Wearing the hijab in high school is much tougher than to wear it in college where there is much less peer pressure and the want to fit in, and where you are more independent. But you said you had an excuse to take it off so may Allah accept it.

The below message may or may not pertain to you, but just read it as reminders benefit the believers.

Every person has been called personally by Allah to accept faith and submit to Allah. Allah says:

O mankind! Fear your Lord and be dutiful to Him! Verily, the earthquake of the Hour (of Judgement) is a terrible thing.

Allah has sent us a revelation and a book which contains His own speech. We should not ignore it and cast it aside and claim we have a life to live. That is true; but we have an eternal life to live that is much better.

It first starts with the prayer. If it's not in order, everything else will not be in order with it.

Also keep in mind that your environment shapes you. You must adhere to Muslim sisters who are religiously committed. You also shouldn't work in mixed places and be around kuffar all the time. This will negatively affect your eeman.

Comment

::wswrwb::

I'm not a female but I can tell you that tomorrow is not guaranteed.
      So if your heart is constantly telling you to do something good for the sake of Allah, then it's better to do it sooner rather than later.
      You take that first step and watch how Allah grants you strength and resolve to overcome the weak whispers of Shaitaan,
      Just like you did for 4 years.
      You're stronger than you're giving yourself credit for.
      Impress Allah.
      Every good person, Muslim or not, will automatically be impressed by this.
      As for others, they are not worth impressing but even they will be reminded about Islam through you.

Do the external and continue to work on the internal inshallah.
      Allah tells us "Take one step towards me, I will take ten steps towards you. Walk towards me, I will run towards you.” Hadith Qudsi.

Comment

Wear it with pride sister :up:

give it a try at least...
        I beg my parents for money

Comment

walaykum salamWhat led you to take it off before? Any chance that same factor would influence you to take it off again? I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to gauge your level of commitment and think that if you still have doubts, if you still feel half hearted, if you're still so afraid of what will happen, then maybe now is the time to air those doubts, ask those questions and clear away those nagging concerns, so that you can get them out of the way before you get started.In my case I just started covering my head one day and just got on with it. There's a significant possibility that you'll cover your head without incident and things will go very smoothly- which is great. There's also a significant possibility that covering your head can change things; maybe your job offer will suddenly be withdrawn, maybe people around you will treat you differently (some better, some worse), people start having different expectations of you and stuff like that. There's a good chance your decision will have consequences (consequences that are better for the next life but the consequences in this life are as yet unknown) so you have to prepare yourself and ask yourself if you can handle it.I don't know what your neighbourhood is like. Alhamdullilah the neighbourhood I live in now is very good, but the town I lived in during my student days was quite hostile to Muslims, so that wasn't easy. What I can tell you if you ever encounter any hostility is: do NOT expect anyone to stand up for you or come to your aid. It is rare for people to intervene in bullying/Islamophobia incidents- you have to learn to stand up for yourself. I'm making this sound scary but it really isn't- I'm only mentioning some worst case scenarios you may or may not encounter. Having said that, I've never lamented or regretted covering- it has always just made sense to me.
          The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
            if you still have doubts, if you still feel half hearted, if you're still so afraid of what will happen, then maybe now is the time to air those doubts, ask those questions and clear away those nagging concerns, so that you can get them out of the way before you get started.
            Neelu made some good points. I agree that you should address any concerns you may have, especially since you have previously decided to stop wearing it. If you want to ask anything, maybe we can help.

Personally, I don't see the benefit of putting it on in stages - you will still have to deal with the challenges that wearing it brings, but you will have the extra problem of deciding when to wear it, when not to wear it, and any complications that the half-decision will add. It seems to me that starting to wear it at the beginning of this new stage in your life is a good idea. Your colleagues don't know you yet, so you don't have to explain anything to them, and it will just be part of a new step.

Of course, it's possible that you will face challenges, as Neelu mentioned, but in the end, hijab is not an optional feature of our deen, it is a requirement, so we need to wear it regardless of fears. Alhamdu Lillah, you have been guided with a desire to wear it, so thank Allah for this mercy, trust in Him and go for it! I'm afraid I can't think of any ways to ease it for you at the moment, except to make du'a frequently for strength, conviction and ease. You could practise with different hijab styles beforehand to find one you are comfortable with, so you don't have the added discomfort of it sliding, being too tight, etc. I suppose you already have an idea how to wear it since you wore it previously, but there's no harm in refreshing your memory or trying something different. :)

May Allah ease it for you, dispel any concerns you have, accept your good intentions and deeds, and give you the steadfastness to wear it and keep it on for the rest of your life.

Comment

Working...
            X