Re: Writing tips

Ameeeen

Leave a comment:

• Ibn-Adam
    replied

Originally posted by mazuiz View Post
    @wifeseeker
    But I'm terrible at speaking and conversing too, and your right, I need more practice @snowtrees- but.... but that's cheating
    The advice by a brother on this thread to read and learn from writing styles invaluable.

On the subject of writing and grammar, your vs you're frequently used incorrectly:
    "...and your right..." should be "...and you're right..."
    "Your" means "belonging to you".
    "You're" means "you are".

May the Ummah benefit from your efforts to improve and see these skills employed on the Path of Allah SWT.

May we be increased in knowledge that is beneficial.

Leave a comment:

• Aloo
    replied

never start off with "It was a dark and stormy night..."

so cliched

Leave a comment:

• mazuiz
    replied

Thanks for the encouragement to read fiction

Leave a comment:

• zitoun
    replied

Advice taken inshAllah, but is reading fictional books looked down upon, since there's no benefit and it wastes time
    There are many benefits of reading fiction. It gives you access to other cultures and lives in a way that allows you to experience it rather than simply reading about the facts. This, in turn, can develop your ability to empathise and interact positively with others. It can also allow you to consider ideas from a different perspective and/or process them effectively. It can also be therapeutic. That's without the benefit already mentioned of improving your writing.

Leave a comment:

• mazuiz
    replied

Charlottes web? I'm not in 5th grade.

Lolololololzzzzz. Advice taken inshallah I read a book called unwind today, so is practicing:up:

Leave a comment:

• wifeseeker
    replied

Nah your ok.
    It'll benefit you from where you are right now so crack on with it.
    About time you read Charlotte's Web anyway.
    Try a variety of genres (fiction, biographies, science fiction, humour etc) and different formats (books, magazines, comics) too in order to get a feel for all the styles out there and their differences of expression.
    Just make a start and keep at it, things will improve.
    Gym for the brain.

Leave a comment:

• mazuiz
    replied

Advice taken inshAllah, but is reading fictional books looked down upon, since there's no benefit and it wastes time

Leave a comment:

• Meriadoc
    replied

Like another user mentioned, reading as a 'hobby' is crucial in developing a flair in your writing. Be it essays, fictional pieces, poetry etc. That'll greatly help in widening vocabulary.

For academia, you'll need to structure your essay prior to actually writing it up i.e. a very detailed plan of what pertinent points you want to cover. It doesn't need to be elaborate, just the main points (with any quotes/ citations as relevant). The conclusion needs to be as strong as the introduction- usually a broad overview summing it up with a slant towards whichever opinion you feel more strongly inclined to (without saying the word 'I'- replace with 'it could be suggested', 'it may be inferred'; if you actually have scholarly quotes to back up those points, that'll help to round it up nicely).

For leisurely pursuits, I recommend keeping a daily journal (Penzu is a secure online journal site that can be utilised, especially if you can't keep a physical journal around for privacy reasons). Just mind dump in there regularly, and you'll find as you continue typing, you'll develop your own style and flair.

Leave a comment:

• mazuiz
    replied

I got you fam

Leave a comment:

• snowtrees
    replied

[MENTION=32418]wifeseeker[/MENTION]
    But I'm terrible at speaking and conversing too, and your right, I need more practice [MENTION=141639]snowtrees[/MENTION]- but.... but that's cheating
    its not cheating if the teacher doesnt say you cant use it.

Leave a comment:

• mazuiz
    replied

[MENTION=32418]wifeseeker[/MENTION]
    But I'm terrible at speaking and conversing too, and your right, I need more practice [MENTION=141639]snowtrees[/MENTION]- but.... but that's cheating

Leave a comment:

• snowtrees
    replied

get Grammarly........does all your grammar for you.

Leave a comment:

• Stoic Believer
    replied
    Originally posted by wifeseeker View Post
    Read more often.
    Explore how other authors play with ideas and themes.
    Each a different style.
    This.

Leave a comment:

• wifeseeker
    replied

Read more often.
    Explore how other authors play with ideas and themes.
    Each a different style.

Also speak more often.
    If it's easier try dictating your ideas as a recording.
    Then play back and select the good ones via pen and paper.

Practice makes perfect, so keep at it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X