Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bodybuilding... too much food and arrogance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodybuilding... too much food and arrogance?

My cousin is trying to be a bodybuilder ... he eats like a monster not because he is hungry but he wants to be big.

He wears tight t-shirts with Islamic writing (sorry my Arabic alphabet is terrible) but they show his big muscles. Even when he wears baju koko it shows his muscles and I'm sure he likes this.

As Muslim what is your opinion? Muhammad SAW ate like a poor man but Muslim bodybuilders are eating like tigers just for competition. My cousin says he is humble but I don't agree.

Re: Bodybuilding... too much food and arrogance?

Originally posted by oakandivy View Post
    My cousin is trying to be a bodybuilder ... he eats like a monster not because he is hungry but he wants to be big.

He wears tight t-shirts with Islamic writing (sorry my Arabic alphabet is terrible) but they show his big muscles. Even when he wears baju koko it shows his muscles and I'm sure he likes this.

As Muslim what is your opinion? Muhammad SAW ate like a poor man but Muslim bodybuilders are eating like tigers just for competition. My cousin says he is humble but I don't agree.
    Personally, I don't believe this is very good muslim character for a number of reasons:

1) Anything in excess is makrooh (I think even haram but I don't know so I will say makrooh). And his reason for doing so is not justifiable because it's obviously for aesthetic reasons. This also raises problems because:
    a) Beautification is supposed to be a feminine concern
    b) His aesthetics are most likely to impress the opposite gender, which is basically to cause fitnah for women.

2) If his reason is strength, body building will not give anyone strength (strength in terms of practicality like self defense or handy work). The workout machines are specifically designed to work certain muscle groups and not in a manner that is natural to the human body. For example, what human activity requires us to do the same motion as a dumbbell curl?

3) If his intention is to please Allah SWT and take care of his body for Allah SWT, then he can do so without showing off his results (tight shirts) and without the excessive food (which is actually quite damaging to the body to overconsume, no matter what body type someone is, it's stressful on the body). One can obtain a healthy body in sha' allah with simple exercises and eating healthily without the need for any percentage of leanness (9% body fat or 12% or whatever they aim for these days).

He must remember that Allah SWT is the one whom we must try to please, not the people and CERTAINLY not the opposite gender. Please ask a brother to give him advice (since usually men listen to other men and because he is your non mahram).

Comment

He's probably a teenager.
      Most teenage lads want to be big and strong.
      Bodybuilding easily leads to steroid abuse as growth hits a plateau.
      Or the person simply gets fat.
      It's no big deal if your cousin wants to be strong and healthy.
      He said he's humble so why you hating on him.
      Talk to him about vanity as bodybuilders constantly flex whenever they see their reflections.
      It's an addictive past time.
      Gary Taylor used to be a bodybuilder, then he became a strongman and won the worlds strongest man so they are strong.
      What's wrong with trying to be the best physical specimen you could possibly be.

At least he's not on crack...

Comment

Originally posted by wifeseeker View Post
        He's probably a teenager.
        Most teenage lads want to be big and strong.
        Bodybuilding easily leads to steroid abuse as growth hits a plateau.
        Or the person simply gets fat.
        It's no big deal if your cousin wants to be strong and healthy.
        He said he's humble so why you hating on him.
        Talk to him about vanity as bodybuilders constantly flex whenever they see their reflections.
        It's an addictive past time.
        Gary Taylor used to be a bodybuilder, then he became a strongman and won the worlds strongest man so they are strong.
        What's wrong with trying to be the best physical specimen you could possibly be.

At least he's not on crack...
        lol such a low bar

Comment

Bodybuilding is fine, the excessive eating is unneccessary and just pure glutony

These kids who say you need 10 meals a day are misguided. My mates did the same but ended up putting on a lot of fat along with the muscle. Your body can only process a certain amount of protein and the carbs are only really needed before the workouts

Comment

Originally posted by oakandivy View Post

:salams

"A strong believer is better and is more lovable to Allah than a weak believer, and there is good in everyone, (but) cherish that which gives you benefit (in the Hereafter) and seek help from Allah and do not lose heart, and if anything (in the form of trouble) comes to you, don't say: If I had not done that, it would not have happened so and so, but say: Allah did that what He had ordained to do and your" if" opens the (gate) for the Satan." [Sahih Muslim]

I don't think you should be questioning his sincerity. Make excuses for him, :insha:. For example, maybe he wears tight t-shirts to help motivate him in bodybuilding? Or perhaps it gives him confidence in his appearance thereby boosting his self-esteem? :)
            ~‘And He will provide him from (sources) he could never imagine. And whoever puts their trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed, Allah has set a measure for all things.’~ - سورة الطلاق : 3

Comment

the fitna of the arms. sisters can't resist the gaze! brothers envy him! he may become arrogant! tell him to stop showing off, he's doing more harm than good.
              لآ اِلَهَ اِلّا اللّهُ مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُوُل اللّهِ

Comment

Originally posted by Aloo View Post
                the fitna of the arms. sisters can't resist the gaze! .
                That's a bit of a generalisation. Maybe some sisters like muscular men. I don't. I think big bulging muscles look a bit obscene and gross. I can't understand women who are into it.
                The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                  That's a bit of a generalisation. Maybe some sisters like muscular men. I don't. I think big bulging muscles look a bit obscene and gross. I can't understand women who are into it.
                  Although that's true sis (and as I also do not see fitnah in them) I think the brother has a very valid point. Many sisters lust over muscular men and our deen makes modesty a requirement for both genders.

Comment

Working...
                  X