Sisters working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sisters working

Why do so many sisters put such an emphasis on working? especially after marriage?

To clarify its paid work, eg in an office or supermarket etc

Also why is no emphasis given to the real work, eg as a teacher to own kids and locals (i mean why pay a masjid to teach your kids quran) or circles etc to gain and give knowledge to other sisters

Re: Sisters working

Wa Alaykumussalam

I don't really know, I'm not married but I work to pay off my loan, afford driving lessons and maybe to start a childcare qualification, insha ' allah. My parents can't afford these, plus they'd rather I work, so aslong as I'm dressed modestly and not interacting with opposite gender, except necessity, I don't see the issue/an alternative. lol unless someone will generously pay off my loan

I know what you mean because after marriage it's different, there's more responsibilities. I don't just mean cooking and chores, but a newborn requires constant attention. Plus one can do things like volunteer if they are passionate about helping and making a difference and study.. whether this is islam or secular subjects. Both those things are better than work imo more enjoyable and interesting.

However some husbands or in laws prefer the wife to work. Or some husbands don't mind.. so if you've spent years on a degree and have the talent to help ppl, and it's not going to interfere with home life, then why not.. I.e part time, shorter hours etc. Surely our intelligence and skills are an amanah and insha ' allah we are rewarded for utilising them. Also.. before kids, when the kids are at school and when the kids are grown up, during this period.. there's no/fewer responsibilities/constant attention for kids. So sisters might have a kot of free time and get bored.. its better than sitting watching TV.. if that's going to happen instead.

There should be an emphasis on real work I.e teaching kids Islam but gaps when kids aren't present.. plus this would most likely be during the evenings and weekends, if kids attend school. Some homeschool but not all are capable of this (although having volunteered in a school recently I was shocked at what the kids were taught r.e christmas, so many in the class were Muslim too). I guess some like shopping too and want to be able to buy things freely.. without spending their hubby's money on this. Or even stuff like buying gifts for the spouse.
    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
    [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Originally posted by nonameakhi View Post
      Also why is no emphasis given to the real work, eg as a teacher to own kids and locals
      Because that would get you jailed for ignoring child labour laws and slavery.
      ูˆูŽุฅูุฐูŽุง ุณูŽุฃูŽู„ูŽูƒูŽ ุนูุจูŽุงุฏููŠ ุนูŽู†ูู‘ูŠ ููŽุฅูู†ูู‘ูŠ ู‚ูŽุฑููŠุจูŒ ุฃูุฌููŠุจู ุฏูŽุนู’ูˆูŽุฉูŽ ุงู„ุฏู‘ูŽุงุนู ุฅูุฐูŽุง ุฏูŽุนูŽุงู†ู ููŽู„ู’ูŠูŽุณู’ุชูŽุฌููŠุจููˆุงู’ ู„ููŠ ูˆูŽู„ู’ูŠูุคู’ู…ูู†ููˆุงู’ ุจููŠ ู„ูŽุนูŽู„ู‘ูŽู‡ูู…ู’ ูŠูŽุฑู’ุดูุฏููˆู†ูŽ
      "And when My servants ask you (O Muhammad concerning Me, then answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright."
      Surah al-Baqarah ayah 186
      [2:186]

.:.
      .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
      Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

Comment

Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
        Homeschooling is not slavery at all and does not violate child labor laws.
        Your wrong because a housewife can homeschool her child legally in the USA because it perfectly legal in'shaa'ALLAH in the USA. Here is link that says homeschooling is legal in the USA as long as state educational guidelines are fulfilled http://law.freeadvice.com/government..._schooling.htm

:salams
        Last edited by ABDEL-AZEEM; 02-01-17, 03:36 AM.
        ALLAH AL-AZEEM is the one and only GOD and ALLAH AL-AZEEM created everything. Therefore ALLAH AL-AZEEM created the Earth and created everything in the Earth and created all of the heavens and created everything in all of the heavens and created all of the hells and created everything in all of the hells and created all of the universes and created everything in all of the universes and created everything in between them.

Comment

Originally posted by ABDEL-AZEEM View Post
          Wrong a housewife can homeschool her child legally in the USA because it perfectly legal in'shaa'ALLAH in the USA. Here is link that says homeschooling is legal in the USA http://law.freeadvice.com/government..._schooling.htm

:salams
          :suspicion:

....that flew right over your head akhi.
          ูˆูŽุฅูุฐูŽุง ุณูŽุฃูŽู„ูŽูƒูŽ ุนูุจูŽุงุฏููŠ ุนูŽู†ูู‘ูŠ ููŽุฅูู†ูู‘ูŠ ู‚ูŽุฑููŠุจูŒ ุฃูุฌููŠุจู ุฏูŽุนู’ูˆูŽุฉูŽ ุงู„ุฏู‘ูŽุงุนู ุฅูุฐูŽุง ุฏูŽุนูŽุงู†ู ููŽู„ู’ูŠูŽุณู’ุชูŽุฌููŠุจููˆุงู’ ู„ููŠ ูˆูŽู„ู’ูŠูุคู’ู…ูู†ููˆุงู’ ุจููŠ ู„ูŽุนูŽู„ู‘ูŽู‡ูู…ู’ ูŠูŽุฑู’ุดูุฏููˆู†ูŽ
          "And when My servants ask you (O Muhammad concerning Me, then answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright."

Comment

I saw what you did there

but you know what I meant?

Comment

:suspicion:

....that flew right over your head akhi.
              Homeschooling is not slavery at all and does not violate child labor laws at all.

your thinking is warped , Okhti
              Last edited by ABDEL-AZEEM; 02-01-17, 03:43 AM.
              ALLAH AL-AZEEM is the one and only GOD and ALLAH AL-AZEEM created everything. Therefore ALLAH AL-AZEEM created the Earth and created everything in the Earth and created all of the heavens and created everything in all of the heavens and created all of the hells and created everything in all of the hells and created all of the universes and created everything in all of the universes and created everything in between them.

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
                Wa Alaykumussalam

I don't really know, I'm not married but I work to pay off my loan, afford driving lessons and maybe to start a childcare qualification, insha ' allah. My parents can't afford these, plus they'd rather I work, so aslong as I'm dressed modestly and not interacting with opposite gender, except necessity, I don't see the issue/an alternative. lol unless someone will generously pay off my loan

I know what you mean because after marriage it's different, there's more responsibilities. I don't just mean cooking and chores, but a newborn requires constant attention. Plus one can do things like volunteer if they are passionate about helping and making a difference and study.. whether this is islam or secular subjects. Both those things are better than work imo more enjoyable and interesting.

However some husbands or in laws prefer the wife to work. Or some husbands don't mind.. so if you've spent years on a degree and have the talent to help ppl, and it's not going to interfere with home life, then why not.. I.e part time, shorter hours etc. Surely our intelligence and skills are an amanah and insha ' allah we are rewarded for utilising them. Also.. before kids, when the kids are at school and when the kids are grown up, during this period.. there's no/fewer responsibilities/constant attention for kids. So sisters might have a kot of free time and get bored.. its better than sitting watching TV.. if that's going to happen instead.

There should be an emphasis on real work I.e teaching kids Islam but gaps when kids aren't present.. plus this would most likely be during the evenings and weekends, if kids attend school. Some homeschool but not all are capable of this (although having volunteered in a school recently I was shocked at what the kids were taught r.e christmas, so many in the class were Muslim too). I guess some like shopping too and want to be able to buy things freely.. without spending their hubby's money on this. Or even stuff like buying gifts for the spouse.
                Dont get me wrong , I understand sometimes living how and where we do its unavoidable.

But even volunteering in mixed environments, why? why not spend that time doing islamic circles with sisters, for example

Hubby wise, he should know he has to provide maintenance to buy things.

Comment

I saw what you did there

but you know what I meant?
                  Aye.

To be honest, women working is something that has always taken place in every single society that has ever been created. As for emphasis on real work, that's subjective to be honest. For some, that means teachers in deen and daycare, to others it's astrophysics. We should be encouraging sisters to help the ummah, but also find things that interest them and get them closer to Allah

Also, for some who work in office and retail it's due to a need and not really something they may desire. No one really likes working, unless you're a workaholic. But due to the way society is, it's hard to not work since you have people to support, debt/bills to pay, and the other stuff that is dependent on the person you are speaking to.

Homeschooling is not slavery at all and does not violate child labor laws at all.

your thinking is warped , Okhti
                  ...I never said it is.
                  Last edited by Pippin1376; 02-01-17, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Dont get me wrong , I understand sometimes living how and where we do its unavoidable.

But even volunteering in mixed environments, why? why not spend that time doing islamic circles with sisters, for example

Hubby wise, he should know he has to provide maintenance to buy things.
                    The volunteering doesn't have to be in a mixed environment.. plenty aren't I.e visiting women who are autistic at their home.. reading one on one with a kid in primary who struggles with that.. Why can't people do both.. It's not one or the other. We can volunteer outside and of course set up islamic study circles as well.. there are many hours in a day before having kids or whilst kids are at school etc, to fit in a lot of things. We benefit from study circles with knowledge gained and applying this insha ' allah,with outside volunteering we can help people and make a difference too.
                    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
                    [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

...I never said it is.
                      What were you exactly talking about in this quote? please speak clearly next time in'shaa'ALLAH about what exactly your talking about because your thoughts are extremely scatterbrain and confusing.
                      Last edited by ABDEL-AZEEM; 02-01-17, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Aye.

To be honest, women working is something that has always taken place in every single society that has ever been created. As for emphasis on real work, that's subjective to be honest. For some, that means teachers in deen and daycare, to others it's astrophysics. We should be encouraging sisters to help the ummah, but also find things that interest them and get them closer to Allah

Also, for some who work in office and retail it's due to a need and not really something they may desire. No one really likes working, unless you're a workaholic. But due to the way society is, it's hard to not work since you have people to support, debt/bills to pay, and the other stuff that is dependent on the person you are speaking to.
                        I dont necessarily buy the ''helping the ummah'' argument tbh. Not to say that no one has that intention, but in the main it always seems to be an excuse to do something and the justification is ''help the ummah''

I appreciate circumstances can dictate the need to work as Islam is something that is individual these days rather than societal where the needs are catered for

Interestingly a few years ago some mangetar (guys from back home married to sisters in uk etc) made a lot of money by opening up barber shops. What thsi lead to was educated guys from back home learning the trade before getting visas. Similarly sisters who sew abayas and shalwar kameez make a lot of money without freemixing. So there are alternatives we dont seem to consider

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
                          The volunteering doesn't have to be in a mixed environment.. plenty aren't I.e visiting women who are autistic at their home.. reading one on one with a kid in primary who struggles with that.. Why can't people do both.. It's not one or the other. We can volunteer outside and of course set up islamic study circles as well.. there are many hours in a day before having kids or whilst kids are at school etc, to fit in a lot of things. We benefit from study circles with knowledge gained and applying this insha ' allah,with outside volunteering we can help people and make a difference too.
                          The examples you give would fall into teh category I meant tbh. So visiting elderly/disabled women would be something that could be explored over primary school kids if the school has mixed gender teachers and there would be interaction with male teachers

Comment

What were you exactly talking about in this quote? please speak clearly next time in'shaa'ALLAH about what exactly your talking about because your thoughts are extremely scatterbrain and confusing.
                            I'll try to remember that for next time.

I dont necessarily buy the ''helping the ummah'' argument tbh. Not to say that no one has that intention, but in the main it always seems to be an excuse to do something and the justification is ''help the ummah''

I appreciate circumstances can dictate the need to work as Islam is something that is individual these days rather than societal where the needs are catered for

Interestingly a few years ago some mangetar (guys from back home married to sisters in uk etc) made a lot of money by opening up barber shops. What thsi lead to was educated guys from back home learning the trade before getting visas. Similarly sisters who sew abayas and shalwar kameez make a lot of money without freemixing. So there are alternatives we dont seem to consider
                            I only mentioned helping the ummah because that's what everyone here keeps talking about. Helping the ummah could mean anything though. It could be working as teachers, nurses, doctors, and other 'real jobs' that you think sisters should do, but at the same time it could be working as anything and earning money to help the ummah. It's purely subjective really and it's up to the sister and her family to decide whether it's okay or not.

Comment

I'll try to remember that for next time.
                              in'shaa'ALLAH

Comment

Working...
                              X