Chronic sedentary lifestyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronic sedentary lifestyle

Recently, I made some healthy changes into my life. Like cutting out processed sugar and white flour. It feels good alhamdulillah so far.

But my real problem is the Chronic sedentary lifestyle . I have to sit to my computer at work like 7 - 8 hours , 5 times a week. And then at home I also tend to sit to my computer whether to finish extra work or just having fun and surfing the net. So that's a lot of sitting... It's worrying me. Because it starts taking a toll on my body, weight, and health. I believe I have to do something about it immediately.

Sure I google it and read through it. But It's good to read people's experiences as well .

Does anyone have this problem and how you solve it..?

share your ideas

Thanks
    How merciful Allah on me by giving me respite,and I persist in my sins and Allah shields me :crying2:

Re: Chronic sedentary lifestyle

Set aside an hour every day for exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
      Set aside an hour every day for exercise.
      I do exercise. But sitting long hours in itself is bad for our health. Now matter how much exercise you do after that. It wouldn't remove the negative effects of sitting for long time .. said a Dr

We need to keep moving as much as possible
      How merciful Allah on me by giving me respite,and I persist in my sins and Allah shields me :crying2:

Comment

Originally posted by myeverything View Post
        I do exercise. But sitting long hours in itself is bad for our health. Now matter how much exercise you do after that wouldn't remove the effects of sitting for long time .. said a Dr

We need to keep moving as much as possible
        Unless you get another job which involves physical activity throughout the day, I can't see what more you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
          Unless you get another job which involves physical activity throughout the day, I can't see what more you can do.
          By posting here , I wanna know how people who are in same situation as mine i.e sitting long hours at work deal with this ..

thanks

Comment

get a standing desk.

Comment

At home I stand the majority of the time when I use my laptop, if you can I would suggest doing that too.

Also consistent short bursts of exercise can be helpful, even yoga or tai chi.

Make an effort to do more housework or physical activities?

:salams
              Per aspera ad astra.

Comment

Do everything standing and walking ie on a tablet.
                Also try HIIT for a few minutes every hour (google it.)
                Alexander technique for posture.
                Sleep early and wake up early.
                Train with weights.

Comment

Some suggestions:

Get up early and start your day with vigorous exercise.

As others have said, if you can, use a standing desk. I'm at home majority of the time for my work, but I stand as often as possible, even use my sewing machines standing.

Take breaks often. If I'm at a desk, I try to get up every 20 min. or so and stretch my legs and back, do calf raises and squats.

During lunch break, eat and then go for a walk, even if it's around the building.

Use stairs any chance you get.

If you have a phone or watch that calculates movement, set a goal and meet it every day.

Go straight to exercise before going home. I know it's tough after working all day, but try to stick with it. You can always take a fast nap in your car outside of the gym.

This time of year is really hard because it's getting dark early and makes outside time short. Weekends are good also for hikes and such.

Comment

Originally posted by snowtrees View Post
                    get a standing desk.
                    good idea . I need to get High Adjustable Table . So, I can stand then sit then stand again. Because even standing long time has it's bad effects on legs, knees & feet. We need to be moderate in everything :)

Originally posted by Al-Mualim View Post
                    At home I stand the majority of the time when I use my laptop, if you can I would suggest doing that too.

Also consistent short bursts of exercise can be helpful, even yoga or tai chi.

Make an effort to do more housework or physical activities? :salams
                    I hate it :(

Originally posted by wifeseeker View Post
                    Do everything standing and walking ie on a tablet.
                    not comfortable lol as I don't like holding something with my hands while walking.But will try it and see

Also try HIIT for a few minutes every hour (google it.)

HIIT is awesome. I actually do it 4 times a week like continuous 30 min . I'll try a few minutes every hour.

Originally posted by Sister_2009 View Post
                    Some suggestions:

Get up early and start your day with vigorous exercise.

As others have said, if you can, use a standing desk. I'm at home majority of the time for my work, but I stand as often as possible, even use my sewing machines standing.

Take breaks often. If I'm at a desk, I try to get up every 20 min. or so and stretch my legs and back, do calf raises and squats.

During lunch break, eat and then go for a walk, even if it's around the building.

Use stairs any chance you get.

If you have a phone or watch that calculates movement, set a goal and meet it every day.

Go straight to exercise before going home. I know it's tough after working all day, but try to stick with it. You can always take a fast nap in your car outside of the gym.

This time of year is really hard because it's getting dark early and makes outside time short. Weekends are good also for hikes and such.
                    good suggestions thanks...
                    Last edited by myeverything; 17-12-16, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Sis the nature of HIIT is such that it's practically impossible to go at breakneck speed for 30 mins.
                      A few minutes and you are totally finito.
                      Struggling to breath.
                      Lactic acid preventing you from moving your limbs properly.
                      You're out.
                      So if you're able to go for 30 mins, that is something else but not HIIT.
                      Try it.
                      Go mental for 3 mins.
                      Try this.

Press up, straight into squat thrust, straight into star jump.
                      All as one fluid motion.
                      Do it as fast as you can and there's no way you'll last 30 mins.
                      I dare you.

Comment

Sis the nature of HIIT is such that it's practically impossible to go at breakneck speed for 30 mins.
                        A few minutes and you are totally finito.
                        Struggling to breath.
                        Lactic acid preventing you from moving your limbs properly.
                        You're out.
                        So if you're able to go for 30 mins, that is something else but not HIIT.
                        Try it.
                        Go mental for 3 mins.
                        Try this.

Press up, straight into squat thrust, straight into star jump.
                        All as one fluid motion.
                        Do it as fast as you can and there's no way you'll last 30 mins.
                        I dare you.
                        oh lol sorry excuse my English . It's not my first language. I confused u

I meant I do Hiit on and off for 30 min instead of doing it a few min every hour.

hope u get what i meant

Comment

oh lol sorry excuse my english . It's not my first language. I confused u

i meant i do hiit on and off for 30 min instead of doing it a few min every hour.

Hope u get what i meant
                          Don't you have a house to keep clean?...that takes hours every day. That should keep you active.

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
                            Don't you have a house to keep clean?...that takes hours every day. That should keep you active.

I have my room only and I cook twice a week. Sometimes I don't .. I pay others to cook in my turn.

I just don't like housework

Comment

I have my room only and I cook twice a week. Sometimes I don't .. I pay others to cook in my turn.

I just don't like housework
                              Wow...how lazy.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X