Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on dealing with low energy?

:salams:

Does anyone have any good halal energy boosting tips? Since it's haram to take stimulants (since there is no need for such medicine and since the side effects are dangerous), how can I stay awake in class? I literally start falling asleep and I somewhat jerk to re-awake.

:jkk:

Re: Tips on dealing with low energy?

wswrwb,

A few things spring to mind:
    - make sure you get enough sleep and rest. This could mean having to take an afternoon power nap in your lunch break or after school if you had to get up early for fajr

- eat small light meals during the day as a heavy lunch could make you feel drowsy. my aunty had a cleaning lady who cleaned several houses in Faisalabad and she'd eat half a roti at each house instead of one full meal at one place because she said eating so much in one go would make her tired

- some say that slow release carbohydrates are the best way to have a steady stream of energy in the day, so it may be beneficial to keep your intake of sugar and anything containing white flour to an absolute minimum as these cause blood sugar levels to suddenly jump giving you a boost and that's rapidly followed by a slump. The way to avoid this is to either go low carb or if you have carbs then use more wholegrains

- during the summer months a smoothie in the morning or veg juicing can give you a boost as well, I'm sure there are good recipes for that online. I haven't tried it but my sister has a nutribullet and she said drinking from it in the morning helped her feel more energised during the day and she had better sleep at night

- do your wudhu with cool water (not freezing water in the winter but just a little cooler than room temperature) as this can help you feel refreshed especially when you wash your feet

- drink at least a litre of good quality bottled or filtered water per day as sometimes tiredness is a sign of dehydration... oh yes, I mean actual water, don't try to substitute it with other rubbish such as fizzy drinks or "flavoured waters". Maybe once a day you can have a glass of juice or lassi or something instead but you should get into the habit of drinking mostly water as your fluid intake in the day

- if all else fails, bear in mind that caffeine is not haram, 1 or 2 cups of tea or coffee a day can actually have some health benefits but avoid drinking more than that and green tea (often thought to be the healthier tea) is lower in caffeine than the more common black tea... just don't touch red bull. A little dark chocolate or cacao per day (20g) has health benefits and is also a pick me up you can add to smoothies. In fact during the time of the month it's particularly good for the body which is why women crave it

Also let me know how you get on. It's possible that if you try some of these things, your body will react because it's not used to the sudden change in diet or routine and so you could suffer withdrawal (eg if you cut down your sugar and white flour intake as these things are addictive) so you'd feel worse for a number of days but don't let that deter you from persevering.
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah5 View Post
      :salams:

Does anyone have any good halal energy boosting tips? Since it's haram to take stimulants (since there is no need for such medicine and since the side effects are dangerous), how can I stay awake in class? I literally start falling asleep and I somewhat jerk to re-awake.

:jkk:
      Coffee, red bull etc are haram???

Sometimes sacrificing 5 minutes of class for a nap is good to keep ur focus levels up for the rest of the class

Maybe wash your face with water
      Accept the decree

It has happened to a million other people don't expect to be the exception

Comment

From my experience , I think you should avoid drinking coffee/ tea / chocolate except when you want a jolt of energy for a specific purpose. It should not be a daily thing.
        Exercise regularly , and think much of the akhira. Just the thought of the akhira can grant you energy due to its status in the heart of the believer.

Make plenty of dua for energy. It is a blessing from the blessings of Allah .

I also wanted to add this point. If you are not physically tired and you are also healthy , then this lack of energy could be from depression / no motivation. In which , you should never really be immersed by these feelings , seeing that you are a muslim and you are on the true deen of Allah. I don't mean to lecture but rather remind that islam is the absolute truth. We are not like jews / Christians / atheist , we're actually on the truth and our faith is not that of blind faith. Praise God , he has guided us to islam , what a blessing , we are chosen people.

Allah knows best
        Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 16-11-16, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
          wswrwb,

A few things spring to mind:
          - make sure you get enough sleep and rest. This could mean having to take an afternoon power nap in your lunch break or after school if you had to get up early for fajr

- eat small light meals during the day as a heavy lunch could make you feel drowsy. my aunty had a cleaning lady who cleaned several houses in Faisalabad and she'd eat half a roti at each house instead of one full meal at one place because she said eating so much in one go would make her tired

- some say that slow release carbohydrates are the best way to have a steady stream of energy in the day, so it may be beneficial to keep your intake of sugar and anything containing white flour to an absolute minimum as these cause blood sugar levels to suddenly jump giving you a boost and that's rapidly followed by a slump. The way to avoid this is to either go low carb or if you have carbs then use more wholegrains

- during the summer months a smoothie in the morning or veg juicing can give you a boost as well, I'm sure there are good recipes for that online. I haven't tried it but my sister has a nutribullet and she said drinking from it in the morning helped her feel more energised during the day and she had better sleep at night

- do your wudhu with cool water (not freezing water in the winter but just a little cooler than room temperature) as this can help you feel refreshed especially when you wash your feet

- drink at least a litre of good quality bottled or filtered water per day as sometimes tiredness is a sign of dehydration... oh yes, I mean actual water, don't try to substitute it with other rubbish such as fizzy drinks or "flavoured waters". Maybe once a day you can have a glass of juice or lassi or something instead but you should get into the habit of drinking mostly water as your fluid intake in the day

- if all else fails, bear in mind that caffeine is not haram, 1 or 2 cups of tea or coffee a day can actually have some health benefits but avoid drinking more than that and green tea (often thought to be the healthier tea) is lower in caffeine than the more common black tea... just don't touch red bull. A little dark chocolate or cacao per day (20g) has health benefits and is also a pick me up you can add to smoothies. In fact during the time of the month it's particularly good for the body which is why women crave it

Also let me know how you get on. It's possible that if you try some of these things, your body will react because it's not used to the sudden change in diet or routine and so you could suffer withdrawal (eg if you cut down your sugar and white flour intake as these things are addictive) so you'd feel worse for a number of days but don't let that deter you from persevering.
          :jkk: for such detail sister. My problem is definitely not getting enough sleep, this is the culprit (especially since fajr is so early now). I definitely will try eating more throughout the day especially since I refrain from eating when I'm outside the house (I don't like eating in public). And I'm at the point where coffee barely has an effect on me unfortunately. I'll need to increase the concentration of coffee and I'll see if it'll make a difference. Again, thank you sis.

Comment

Originally posted by LingLing12 View Post
            Coffee, red bull etc are haram???

Sometimes sacrificing 5 minutes of class for a nap is good to keep ur focus levels up for the rest of the class

Maybe wash your face with water
            Oh no brother, they aren't haram I meant stimulants in medication form. And I wish I can sacrifice class time but it's near impossible especially since the material is ten times harder when an instructor doesn't teach it. :jkk:, you're right, I'll try washing my face in between classes.

Comment

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
              From my experience , I think you should avoid drinking coffee/ tea / chocolate except when you want a jolt of energy for a specific purpose. It should not be a daily thing.
              Exercise regularly , and think much of the akhira. Just the thought of the akhira can grant you energy due to its status in the heart of the believer.

Make plenty of dua for energy. It is a blessing from the blessings of Allah .

I also wanted to add this point. If you are not physically tired and you are also healthy , then this lack of energy could be from depression / no motivation. In which , you should never really be immersed by these feelings , seeing that you are a muslim and you are on the true deen of Allah. I don't mean to lecture but rather remind that islam is the absolute truth. We are not like jews / Christians / atheist , we're actually on the truth and our faith is not that of blind faith. Praise God , he has guided us to islam , what a blessing , we are chosen people.

Allah knows best
              Highly appreciate your advice brother, and no it's not a lecture, it's very useful and beneficial,in sha' Allah :jkk:

Alhamdulillah I don't believe it's a spiritual tiredness it's physical (although the physicality is affecting my salah and I am not renewing wudhu like I would like to).

What is your experience with caffeine? I haven't dared to try to stop it (I enjoy the taste as well).

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah5 View Post
                Highly appreciate your advice brother, and no it's not a lecture, it's very useful and beneficial,in sha' Allah :jkk:

Alhamdulillah I don't believe it's a spiritual tiredness it's physical (although the physicality is affecting my salah and I am not renewing wudhu like I would like to).

What is your experience with caffeine? I haven't dared to try to stop it (I enjoy the taste as well).
                What I realized during ramadan is that I don't need coffee / tea / soda even though I really enjoy them, especially coffee. I don't want to be addicted to anything. Also I think these drinks can sway you from performing voluntary fasting because it's something you don't want to give up.
                Coffee is really nice , but it's even better when you limit it to once or twice a week. It becomes like a reward and big event on a sataurday or what ever, but when you drink it everyday then it just becomes an addiction with no real benefit. Rather you are like a zombie and god forbid you don't get your fix..

You can replace coffee with an apple , or something like that.. frozen fruits and put them in a blender in the mornings (my aunt does this every morning) Though I don't think you should do that everyday.

You can really use this stuff when you need it. Let's say you have a presentation or something , having a piece of chocolate after not eating any over a week will give you such a boost , you will be flying.

The best way to quit the stuff is by fasting. Not getting that awful migrant from the caffeine urges makes fasting 10x easier as I'm sure you are all aware of

Comment

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
                  What I realized during ramadan is that I don't need coffee / tea / soda even though I really enjoy them, especially coffee. I don't want to be addicted to anything. Also I think these drinks can sway you from performing voluntary fasting because it's something you don't want to give up.
                  Coffee is really nice , but it's even better when you limit it to once or twice a week. It becomes like a reward and big event on a sataurday or what ever, but when you drink it everyday then it just becomes an addiction with no real benefit. Rather you are like a zombie and god forbid you don't get your fix..

You can replace coffee with an apple , or something like that.. frozen fruits and put them in a blender in the mornings (my aunt does this every morning) Though I don't think you should do that everyday.

You can really use this stuff when you need it. Let's say you have a presentation or something , having a piece of chocolate after not eating any over a week will give you such a boost , you will be flying.

The best way to quit the stuff is by fasting. Not getting that awful migrant from the caffeine urges makes fasting 10x easier as I'm sure you are all aware of
                  :jkk: brother. To be honest I don't think I'll be quitting it soon, but it's definitely something to keep in mind. I may start drinking juice between classes since the sugar will help with spike of energy.

Comment

I just remembered take vitamin tablets
                    Accept the decree

It has happened to a million other people don't expect to be the exception

Comment

Try to get out everyday when is daylight.
                      Sleep after isha.
                      Reduce time with gadgets/social media.
                      Eat plenty of fruits.
                      Take spoon of sesame oil every morning.
                      Do exercise daily, even 10 mins stretching.

Comment

Originally posted by uccello verde View Post
                        Try to get out everyday when is daylight.
                        Sleep after isha.
                        Reduce time with gadgets/social media.
                        Eat plenty of fruits.
                        Take spoon of sesame oil every morning.
                        Do exercise daily, even 10 mins stretching.
                        :jkk: sister, I dream about sleeping right after Isha but that's impossible for me at the moment. And I think the sun plays a major part since we haven't seen it (due to the weather).

Comment

start drinking honey

One spoon of it at least mixed in a cup of water in the morning.
                          شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
                          فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
                          وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
                          ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Comment

Sounds like you're struggling to maintain your energy levels even with caffeine. Increasing your concentration of caffeine is not a good idea as it'll increase your dependence on it. Are there any patterns to when or how often you get tired? For example, certain times of day or certain seasons in the year? In the winter it could be due to SAD, not seeing enough sunlight throughout the day, but you can get a light box to help with that and it's possible that vitamin D supplements (or vitamin D rich foods) can help with this. Also hormones can affect this like the time of the month and the most obvious health factor would be anemia.

Having said that, your post suggests that you're not getting enough sleep and most other measures can't really compensate for that. Aren't you able to go to bed earlier in the evening so that you can get enough hours in before fajr?
                            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                              Sounds like you're struggling to maintain your energy levels even with caffeine. Increasing your concentration of caffeine is not a good idea as it'll increase your dependence on it. Are there any patterns to when or how often you get tired? For example, certain times of day or certain seasons in the year? In the winter it could be due to SAD, not seeing enough sunlight throughout the day, but you can get a light box to help with that and it's possible that vitamin D supplements (or vitamin D rich foods) can help with this. Also hormones can affect this like the time of the month and the most obvious health factor would be anemia.

Having said that, your post suggests that you're not getting enough sleep and most other measures can't really compensate for that. Aren't you able to go to bed earlier in the evening so that you can get enough hours in before fajr?
                              Not at all sis, there's too much to do before I go to bed. Thank you very much for your concerns sister, today I have found that drinking black coffee pretty fast helped get me through class (the whole 3 classes actually) so temporarily, I guess this is what I have to do when I lack sleep (since I started out my weekdays with around 4 hours of sleep). :jkk: I must compensate sleep, you're right.

Comment

Working...
                              X