CBT Therapy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBT Therapy

Anyone have experience with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)? I might be starting a CBT session in dealing with anxiety around making decisions. It seems silly and simple but I learned I get 5 free session from work so figure why not. I do have difficulty making the simplest decision. Is it worth doing or waste of time?

From what I read online, I am left wondering... are most of our negative behavior link to some negative believes or are we just lazy

Re: CBT Therapy

:salams

It's usually worth doing. However, make sure the therapist knows you will only work from within an Islamic frame of reference. CBT follows a pattern as does NLP, BST, PCT, PDT, and many others but the therapist, being human, will inject their own way of working into any form of therapy and that's the unknown part. Inshallah, you will have a good therapist and the sessions will be helpful.

I've known peoples' lives change dramatically after good therapy but underneath it lies information about yourself. You can only change when you have an epiphany about yourself and your behaviour. Therapy should serve to be a mirror that shows you, you.

May Allah (swt) make it easy and productive for you inshallah

Comment

So how do they do this, and what its used for?

:salams
      “Mix with the noble people, you become one of them; and keep away from evil people so that you protect yourself from their evils.”

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

Originally posted by Kya View Post
        Anyone have experience with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)? I might be starting a CBT session in dealing with anxiety around making decisions. It seems silly and simple but I learned I get 5 free session from work so figure why not. I do have difficulty making the simplest decision. Is it worth doing or waste of time?

From what I read online, I am left wondering... are most of our negative behavior link to some negative believes or are we just lazy
        Worth doing it.Thats what experts are there for...
        ".......He giveth and spendeth (of His bounty) as He pleaseth. But the revelation that cometh to thee from Allah increaseth in most of them (kuffar) their obstinate rebellion and blasphemy.Amongst them we have placed enmity and hatred till the Day of Judgment. Every time they kindle the fire of war, Allah doth extinguish it;but they (ever) strive to do mischief on earth. And Allah loveth not those who do mischief."(5:64)

Comment

I met for my anxiety around making decision. I make lot of pro/con list and stress over simple decision, go in circle and circle until I am supper stressed out and then finally I go with flow. Back in the days I use to do lot of isthakara prayer to help with decision making but that too has been used up too many times that I can't tell the difference anymore.

I attended my first session, I wasn't 100% sure what was wrong with me. I didn't know the reason behind my anxiety and stress was due to decision making. I told the lady what was bothering me..etc different aspect of life. Almost 40 min, in she pin pointed, it might be type of anxiety. She explained the purpose of CBT therapy is that we have some negative inner believe that is the source of our negative behavior. Usually there is a trigger point, a specific thoughts such as I am bad decision maker, or I never do anything right, or I am not worthy" or something negative. Once that trigger is started, the anxiety sets in and the same cycle repeats over and over again. Best way to get to the source is to identify that inner negative belief & reprogram mind with something positive. So for CBT training the lady gave me home work before our next meeting. Homework is to look at last few times I had anxiety & what were the initial thought process I went thru. So I made a list, not sure if they are real reason or something useful or just random crap. Lets see. If this works, I am going to try to use this to get myself to focus more. I am such a lazy person

Comment

Yep. Alhumdollilah I have studied CBT in older age adults and currently studying NLP ( from an Islamic perspective ) and both of them can be powerful tools to facilitate positive change in an individual..
            وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

:salams:

Go for it, ukhti. :insha: it'll work. But just be sure the doctor works within islamic framework.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenicca View Post
                Yep. Alhumdollilah I have studied CBT in older age adults and currently studying NLP ( from an Islamic perspective ) and both of them can be powerful tools to facilitate positive change in an individual..
                Sister do you have any tips, advise for someone who wants to DIY themselves. Use the method without expert. I don't think I will pay for the service after my 5 free session from employee service is over. I read good review on CBT (not sure about NLP method). I would like to apply it in other aspect of life, like why am I so lazy or why do I get depress every few weeks. so many other things. For now I will focus on decision making

Comment

Originally posted by Kya View Post

I have had 2 years of CBT for depression etc, and next week I am getting CBT for anxiety. I had a really good relationship as a patient with my therapist and he tried hard with me, but I was so wound up because of my mental health condition and never had the confidence to take his advice.

I literally think Allah helped me cos after years of not being able to take advice, my younger brother told me to get myself together, and then I realized I couldn't live in that way anymore.

For anyone on the forum taking CBT I'd say listen to your doc, CBT is priceless and can change and alter your way of thinking for the better.

I am looking forward to my CBT sessions for anxiety. Can I ask what its like?
                  وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

let us know how the sessions go, sis :)
                    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
                    [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Do it. I did CBT 6 years ago. It didn't work for me for a variety of reasons. One being that although I did suffer with Depression, my main problem was BPD and that was undiagnosed (and therefore untreated) at the time. These therapies are all evidence based. MBT is working for me. It is very intensive but worth it. If I was you, i'd give CBT a shot. You have nothing to lose as you will be receiving it for free.

http://www.counselling-directory.org...-based-therapy

Comment

Working...
                      X