Limerence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limerence

Popular culture has done us a great disservice in our understanding of romantic love. From a young age, we watch movies and read books that form the scripts of our adult relationships. But popular culture usually gets it wrong, often in the name of entertainment, and ends up confusing love with limerence.

What Is Limerence?Signs of Limerence
    Love vs. Limerence
    When Love Becomes an Addiction
    Source

Re: Limerence

So, something like this could be considered to be a 'disorder'?! Limerence just sounds like infatuation to me.
    And whoever puts their trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. - سورة الطلاق : 3

Comment

Originally posted by Muslimah1436 View Post
      So, something like this could be considered to be a 'disorder'?! Limerence just sounds like infatuation to me.
      That's basically what it is.

Comment

Love is great but in limits. Yet love for Allah, there can be no boundaries for it *__*
        :salams
        Forge ahead!

Comment

It's something more than infatuation. I was reading about the horror stories related to this. It's a nightmare for the person who is 'infatuated' and it really messes with their personal lives, and mental health.

I was thinking of all the tragic love stories (Rome & Juliet, Paris & Helen (Greek Mythology) Devdas etc) it could just be limerence and not love.

Alhamdulillaah for Islaam, for setting limits between gender interaction, for showing us the meaning of hayaa and telling us to lower our gaze.

Comment

So, a crush?

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post
              It's something more than infatuation. I was reading about the horror stories related to this. It's a nightmare for the person who is 'infatuated' and it really messes with their personal lives, and mental health.

I was thinking of all the tragic love stories (Rome & Juliet, Paris & Helen (Greek Mythology) Devdas etc) it could just be limerence and not love.

Alhamdulillaah for Islaam, for setting limits between gender interaction, for showing us the meaning of hayaa and telling us to lower our gaze.
              Romeo and Juliet, while deemed a love story, is a great example of infatuation and teenage stupidity. I mean, Romeo was in love with someone else right before he saw Juliet.

As for Paris and Helen, I don't know how it could be love when Paris was promised Helen, who happened to be married, and Helen was more or less bewitched by Aphrodite.

Definitely not romance. Paris didn't think with his head and caused a huge war, while Romeo and Juliet killed themselves because they're stupid.

From what I remember infatuation and limerence is slightly different. Infatuation is based purely on attraction, while limerence is closer to love but not quite there yet.
              وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَرِيبٌ أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُواْ لِي وَلْيُؤْمِنُواْ بِي لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ
              "And when My servants ask you (O Muhammad concerning Me, then answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright."
              Surah al-Baqarah ayah 186
              [2:186]

.:.
              .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
              Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

Comment

Originally posted by kaymorr View Post
                So, a crush?
                Something more obsessive than a crush. It could happen to anyone, at any stage of life.

Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
                Romeo and Juliet, while deemed a love story, is a great example of infatuation and teenage stupidity. I mean, Romeo was in love with someone else right before he saw Juliet.

As for Paris and Helen, I don't know how it could be love when Paris was promised Helen, who happened to be married, and Helen was more or less bewitched by Aphrodite.

Definitely not romance. Paris didn't think with his head and caused a huge war, while Romeo and Juliet killed themselves because they're stupid.

From what I remember infatuation and limerence is slightly different. Infatuation is based purely on attraction, while limerence is closer to love but not quite there yet.
                Limerence isn't love though. It's an obsession which takes over the mind, whereas love is a controlled emotion.

Comment

Source

Comment

^^Interesting analysis. Wow. It happened to somebody in their fifties. Scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Chained Rider View Post
                      ^^Interesting analysis. Wow. It happened to somebody in their fifties. Scary.
                      It is scary. May Allaah protect us.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X