• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jade Vine
    replied
    Re: Female MMA mixed club?

Originally posted by shymuslim View Post
    السلام عليكم

For as long I can remember, I have always wanted to learn martial arts for self-defense and just for fun but there were never any clubs near me. Now there are many in my area in schools at accessible hours. And I'm sure you've all heard of Hedaya Ahmed Malak Wahba, the hijabi taekwondoer (?) at the Olympics, well she just inspired me to pursue my dream of learning martial arts and going to the Olympics (maybe the latter is not so likely lol).

The problem is, every club in my area is mixed, so I don't know what to do. Can I go, but take a friend or my sister with me, or go with a mahram? Will either make a difference? Obviously, I shall observe full hijab, secure loose clothing etc. And if it is required to partner up with someone I will be with another female and explain my religious obligations to the instructor beforehand (bowing, female partners etc).

I am not in a very good place at the moment (mentally and emotionally) and I believe focussing my energy on something like this will really help me out, but I also want to do it halal as possible.

Please don't suggest alternative sports like swimming or gym as my dad will not allow me. Nor hiring a personal trainer as I don't have much money, or try to find a female only class as I have searched tirelessly to no avail, or to just give up. If however, there is anyone experienced in this field in my area, do feel free to set up a class near me lol.

I am 20, live in South East England.

Part of being Muslim is to not be ashamed of who I am nor what I believe in, but proudly representing my faith and not letting my hijab stop me from doing what I want.

جزاك الله
    Salam sister,

I already opened a thread about MA. and I understand your dilemma completely. I still didn't figure it out either..

Leave a comment:

• uccello verde
    replied

Alhamdulillah, I have been looking for same thing.
    My issue was, that local women only class is teach by MAN😱. So, I can't go there either.
    Dear ukhti, I know what you mean. I have searched high and low... Insha'Allah one day there is one.

Leave a comment:

• shymuslim
    replied

I'm mostly interested in Taekwondo any martial art is ok. I live in Berkshire.

Leave a comment:

• thebench
    replied
    I don't see what is wrong with going to a mixed club if you are covered up. Everyone is focussed on themselves anyway. I jog outside. I am also going to start going to classes at some point isA. Some of them will be mixed.

Leave a comment:

• -Jibril-
    replied

Originally posted by shymuslim View Post
    السلام عليكم

For as long I can remember, I have always wanted to learn martial arts for self-defense and just for fun but there were never any clubs near me. Now there are many in my area in schools at accessible hours. And I'm sure you've all heard of Hedaya Ahmed Malak Wahba, the hijabi taekwondoer (?) at the Olympics, well she just inspired me to pursue my dream of learning martial arts and going to the Olympics (maybe the latter is not so likely lol).

The problem is, every club in my area is mixed, so I don't know what to do. Can I go, but take a friend or my sister with me, or go with a mahram? Will either make a difference? Obviously, I shall observe full hijab, secure loose clothing etc. And if it is required to partner up with someone I will be with another female and explain my religious obligations to the instructor beforehand (bowing, female partners etc).

I am not in a very good place at the moment (mentally and emotionally) and I believe focussing my energy on something like this will really help me out, but I also want to do it halal as possible.

Please don't suggest alternative sports like swimming or gym as my dad will not allow me. Nor hiring a personal trainer as I don't have much money, or try to find a female only class as I have searched tirelessly to no avail, or to just give up. If however, there is anyone experienced in this field in my area, do feel free to set up a class near me lol.

I am 20, live in South East England.

Part of being Muslim is to not be ashamed of who I am nor what I believe in, but proudly representing my faith and not letting my hijab stop me from doing what I want.

جزاك الله
    London has a lot of gyms that have women only sessions.
    Our local MMA gym has a champion btw, she beating the living day lights out of everyone in every tournament.
    She trains at the KO in East London, forgot her name though-.-

Leave a comment:

Working...
X