Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aikido martial art

Salams everyone,

Is there anyone who tried this martial art? I'm wondering if women are just fighting women during the training, or it is mixed up? I mean, it would be an unfair competition if women are fighting men as they are usually bigger and stronger than women. On the other hand, how can women learn to fight men if they don't fight them during the training? Please post some information if you have about aikido, or some other martial art that can be useful for self defense.

Re: Aikido martial art

Originally posted by Jade Vine View Post
    Salams everyone,

Is there anyone who tried this martial art? I'm wondering if women are just fighting women during the training, or it is mixed up? I mean, it would be an unfair competition if women are fighting men as they are usually bigger and stronger than women. On the other hand, how can women learn to fight men if they don't fight them during the training? Please post some information if you have about aikido, or some other martial art that can be useful for self defense.
    yup ive done aikido for many years allthough not so much lately due to ill health and injuries.

the.whole idea behind aikido is to be able to use a bigger opponents own force and energy against them in order to beat them so training with bigger, stronger people is actually easier lol..... most classes ive come across are mixed though so chances are you would be training with men. plus youd have to speak to your instructor to be left out of the bowing at the begining and end of the lesson and also during sometimes. its a traditional part of the art so they may say no chance but that would depend on them.

even though i rate it highly and have used it a lot in fights while working as a bouncer for around 15 years id say to look for something different if its just self defence your after. most aikido clubs along with most other traditional martial arts go through a long drawn out process to teach and it could take a couple of years before your really good enough to try anything youve learnt in an actual fight. a katate (stand-up sort of thing) type art or boxing would be better if you go down that route because even though its full of katas your still learning punching and kicking so using that would come more natural.

plus not everyone is cut out for fighting even in self defence so learning a bit to defend yoursaelf might give you a false sense of invincability so you stand and fight where as running may a better option.

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

Salams everyone,

I know about ninjetso and krav maga..Sometime back in childhood usedto practice judo with brothers ...but mother made me left this.Still has this desire.Krav maga and ninjetso are something very interesting...Irani women do ninja fight...quite good i d say..Ya muslim women should know this...I see the videos these days...am atopic so slowly developing the ability to tolerate exercise...Am glad there is a sis here who is interested.
      ".......He giveth and spendeth (of His bounty) as He pleaseth. But the revelation that cometh to thee from Allah increaseth in most of them (kuffar) their obstinate rebellion and blasphemy.Amongst them we have placed enmity and hatred till the Day of Judgment. Every time they kindle the fire of war, Allah doth extinguish it;but they (ever) strive to do mischief on earth. And Allah loveth not those who do mischief."(5:64)

Comment

Originally posted by SILURES View Post
        yup ive done aikido for many years allthough not so much lately due to ill health and injuries.

the.whole idea behind aikido is to be able to use a bigger opponents own force and energy against them in order to beat them so training with bigger, stronger people is actually easier lol..... most classes ive come across are mixed though so chances are you would be training with men. plus youd have to speak to your instructor to be left out of the bowing at the begining and end of the lesson and also during sometimes. its a traditional part of the art so they may say no chance but that would depend on them.

even though i rate it highly and have used it a lot in fights while working as a bouncer for around 15 years id say to look for something different if its just self defence your after. most aikido clubs along with most other traditional martial arts go through a long drawn out process to teach and it could take a couple of years before your really good enough to try anything youve learnt in an actual fight. a katate (stand-up sort of thing) type art or boxing would be better if you go down that route because even though its full of katas your still learning punching and kicking so using that would come more natural.

plus not everyone is cut out for fighting even in self defence so learning a bit to defend yoursaelf might give you a false sense of invincability so you stand and fight where as running may a better option.
        What about krav maga...i saw videos and its a millitary video..very impressive.Do they teach it to civilians?? I also saw the russian combat video (millitary) spetsnaz ...and noticed they are the best.Those of SAS comes next..i wish i cd learn but we civilians...How long does it take to learn self defence?? And how much practice daily?
        ".......He giveth and spendeth (of His bounty) as He pleaseth. But the revelation that cometh to thee from Allah increaseth in most of them (kuffar) their obstinate rebellion and blasphemy.Amongst them we have placed enmity and hatred till the Day of Judgment. Every time they kindle the fire of war, Allah doth extinguish it;but they (ever) strive to do mischief on earth. And Allah loveth not those who do mischief."(5:64)

Comment

Originally posted by snow_flakes View Post
          What about krav maga...i saw videos and its a millitary video..very impressive.Do they teach it to civilians?? I also saw the russian combat video (millitary) spetsnaz ...and noticed they are the best.Those of SAS comes next..i wish i cd learn but we civilians...How long does it take to learn self defence?? And how much practice daily?
          yeahitsgood

yeah its good but its the same as all the others. it depends on how its taught and if you can control your andrenaline when the fight starts.

krav maga is a bit of a mix from a few different MA by using the most effective moves from that art and mixing it with others. basically all traditional martial arts do the same moves more or less just taught a different way. at the end of the day all our joints bend the same so majority of locks are the same and only so many ways to punch and kick someone. same with grappling judo is very simular to jujitsu which is simular to wrestling and so on....... so saying one art is better than another i think is wrong. it should be which art is taught a way i preffer and what do they emphasis more than the tho others that i think i could learn the best.

KM is taught to civvies, there was a club not to far from me that i went to a while back. tbh i went half a dozen times and practically every move he taught me id done very simular in aikido earlier. and the throws we done i also done in judo and jujitsu so its not the super art people think it is. theres little new in it its just the way its put together makes it stand out. obviously in my limited opinion.......

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

I don't know about Aikido but they do mix women and men in MMA (Boxing, MT, BJJ etc) gyms so I think you should know more about the gym before signing up. Lots of combat sport gyms offer segregated classes.

Also, you shouldn't worry about who's bigger or not. It's important to spar with anyone regardless of their size so you can use the skills to improve your self defense. Keep learning and sparing, you'll gain more confidence in real life situation.
            Last edited by 'noname; 31-10-16, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 'noname View Post
              I don't know about Aikido but they do mix women and men in MMA (Boxing, MT, BJJ etc) gyms so I think you should know more about the gym before signing up. Lots of combat sport gyms offer segregated classes.

Also, you shouldn't worry about who's bigger or not. It's important to spar with anyone regardless of their size so you can use the skills to improve your self defense. Keep learning and sparing, you'll gain more confidence in real life situation.
              Yup..gymnasts..hmm..what about adults? I ve heard you need to learn it since childhood? is it imp to learn for aaikido?
              Originally posted by SILURES View Post
              yeahitsgood

yeah its good but its the same as all the others. it depends on how its taught and if you can control your andrenaline when the fight starts.

krav maga is a bit of a mix from a few different MA by using the most effective moves from that art and mixing it with others. basically all traditional martial arts do the same moves more or less just taught a different way. at the end of the day all our joints bend the same so majority of locks are the same and only so many ways to punch and kick someone. same with grappling judo is very simular to jujitsu which is simular to wrestling and so on....... so saying one art is better than another i think is wrong. it should be which art is taught a way i preffer and what do they emphasis more than the tho others that i think i could learn the best.

KM is taught to civvies, there was a club not to far from me that i went to a while back. tbh i went half a dozen times and practically every move he taught me id done very simular in aikido earlier. and the throws we done i also done in judo and jujitsu so its not the super art people think it is. theres little new in it its just the way its put together makes it stand out. obviously in my limited opinion.......
              Thanks ..yes i saw vids of many fights and came to know KM is best...was v impressed.I ll take tips once in a while from you when necessary..iA

Comment

A friend of mine told me that KM is about street fight, like no rules. Is that true?

Comment

Also, I use home fitness DVDs for regular exercises, and I was wondering, in theory, would it be possible to learn some of these martial arts in this way? Or you absolutely need to have an instructor?

Comment

Also, I use home fitness DVDs for regular exercises, and I was wondering, in theory, would it be possible to learn some of these martial arts in this way? Or you absolutely need to have an instructor?
                    Actually some classes need an extra person to learn the techniques..I also watch vids off and then at home.You need an instructor ..

Comment

A friend of mine told me that KM is about street fight, like no rules. Is that true?
                      [MENTION=8872]Sil[/MENTION]erus can tell...but the best so far i ve seen.Do you do gymnast?? Would like to know if its imp to learn before going for actual training.

Comment

Salams everyone,

I’ve practiced karate, judo and iaido. Like Brother Silures, most classes I’ve attended were mixed, although males were not allowed to practice with females (except for iaido). Of the three, karate is best for self-defence on the street (the police get a wee bit worried when they see someone walking about with a sword tucked in their belt, so I wouldn’t advise it ;)); but (and I agree with Silures) it can take several years to be proficient; and it’s all too easy to become over-confident. I’ve a friend whose daughter does Thai-boxing. That’s pretty neat too, but the same cautions apply.
                        'Sometimes, silence is the best answer for a fool.' (Alī ibn Abī Tālib‎)

Comment

For karate you can learn the basics this way, but to be really effective a full length mirror would be needed, so that you can check your posture. Katas can be practiced alone, of course. Learning in a dojo is best.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandad View Post
                            For karate you can learn the basics this way, but to be really effective a full length mirror would be needed, so that you can check your posture. Katas can be practiced alone, of course. Learning in a dojo is best.
                            You still martial artsing, Grandad !

Comment

Originally posted by Chained Rider View Post
                              You still martial artsing, Grandad !
                              I'm afraid not. But I do raise and lower my eyelids 100 times every morning. If I fasten a paper-clip to each eyelid I can just about manage 50.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X