Two year degrees, and my parents...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two year degrees, and my parents...

I may have to settle for getting a two year degree, but first let me give some background info...in order to get a HOPE scholarship, where 80 percent of your tuition is paid for....you have to have a 3.0 gpa, but the way they measure it is f=0 d=1 c=2 b=3 and a=4, and they average the classes.....but they add 0.5 points for college level classes, unless it is a 4, since the maximum is 4....i didn't do so well in my first years of high school, but eventually became a better student alhamdulillah....but i thought my gpa was 2.77, and all i needed was a 3.7 gpa to bring it up to 3.0 and get the scholarship (and i cant turn to my parents for help with money because they are currently helping family and friends in and from Turkey due to the recent political turmoil, and student loans are haram).......but instead, i found out my gpa is a 2.7285......which means i need a much higher gpa, and though i am getting mostly a's, it would still be very difficult.......I have two options.....get a two year degree.....or go to community college for two years and bring up my gpa, and then transfer to four year school......but im thinking of just getting a two year degree, getting a job, and then getting married.....and even if i did the transition plan, it is still not a guarantee.......i want a two year degree for some reasons: 1) my chances at getting into 4 year school look bleak...... 2) i would start working and standing on my own two feet sooner, which ties in to 3) ill be able to get married early......
    but my parents have high hopes for my education...
    what should i do?

Re: Two year degrees, and my parents...

Assalamualaikum

How well you think you will get a job with the 2-year degree?
    Also aren't you able to further your studies once you have completed the 2 year degree if you wish so?

Comment

Generally speaking, from my experience the requirements for transfer and AA/AS are almost the same. I think it takes one more math and English class from what I remember. AA /AS will not help you unless it's in a technical or vocational field. However if you are technically inclined, there are other educational routes you can pursue depending on where you live.

(I am a teacher and have some experience navigating the college experience so you're welcome to ask me any other questions.)

Are you eligible for FAFSA?

Comment

Originally posted by ilming View Post
        Generally speaking, from my experience the requirements for transfer and AA/AS are almost the same. I think it takes one more math and English class from what I remember. AA /AS will not help you unless it's in a technical or vocational field. However if you are technically inclined, there are other educational routes you can pursue depending on where you live.

(I am a teacher and have some experience navigating the college experience so you're welcome to ask me any other questions.)

Are you eligible for FAFSA?
        I'm not sure if I'm eligible for FAFSA since my parents are upper middle class......also, I've decided to just work extra hard to bring up my GPA, and if that doesn't work I'll transfer to community college to raise my GPA, and then from there transfer to 4 year school......

Comment

There is nothing wrong with going to community college, finishing up your 2 years and then putting in 2-3 years for your Bachelors. I have a friend who completed her PhD recently and she started out in community college because her GPA wasn't that great. It took her 1 year extra because you do lose some credit during transfer but its not big deal.

Focus on your grade now. If you can't go straight into univ, take your gen ed class in community college but remember to tell your councilor in CC that you are planning on transferring so your class line up with what is acceptable in university. you can even transfer after one year in CC

Comment

Working...
          X