Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm feeling very sick but my parents won't believe me....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm feeling very sick but my parents won't believe me....

i woke up this morning feeling sick, and could hardly get up....(this has happened several times this school year) my mom tried waking me up and getting me up and ready for school before she went to work, but i told her i was feeling sick, she didn't believe me, i refused, she poured water on me, and she pulled the covers off of me, i argued with her and eventually she texted my already distant father, telling him i wasn't going to school, when just last friday i missed school due to several panic attacks and not being sure if i took my medications.....she then left for work, and i realized i was not gonna be talking to my father today or the next few days, but i still told my father i was missing school and promised to make up any late work....and i called my counselor asking for advice and he said i could be "psychosomatic" in other words, i keep feeling sick because i am avoiding school and my mind tricks me into feeling im sick, and we would work on it.....i told that to my father, but no reply.....i keep feeling sick and keep missing school, and my parents dont believe me when i say im feeling sick......also, my symptoms got worse after i took my pills and almost choked on them.....what should i do?

Re: I'm feeling very sick but my parents won't believe me....

:salams

Take advantage of your health before sickness and trust me your not that sick to even begin with. Just man up..
    Accept the decree

It has happened to a million other people don't expect to be the exception

Comment

What is it about your school that fills you up with panic and a feeling of sickness? Is it a good school? Are people treating you badly there? What kind of thoughts fill you with horror when it's time to get ready for school and make you feel like you can't go?

What are you on meds for again? Do you have social anxiety issues?
      The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
        What is it about your school that fills you up with panic and a feeling of sickness? Is it a good school? Are people treating you badly there? What kind of thoughts fill you with horror when it's time to get ready for school and make you feel like you can't go?

What are you on meds for again? Do you have social anxiety issues?
        "what is it about school that fills you up with panic and a feeling of sickness?" answer: 1)in 1st period, I have class with special ed kids, many of whom are spoiled and rotten freshmen and are very obnoxious and it is hard to concentrate, and though I am not always in the classroom (often in library, I am doing online work), their disturbance makes it difficult to do my work, and I feel humiliated for being treated as the same level as those morons....
        2) I have autism, and am sensitive to multiple stimuli and noises going on around me, which causes sensory overload, and causes me to panic.....this is especially when I am in a crowd, not moving much, and/or are in a loud area with a lot of people talking.....3) in 5th period, there is a kid who always shouts and acts distracting, and another who does similar annoying things, but on a smaller scale.....they act very uneducated and ignorant, and it is hard to focus.... 4) I get burnout 5) I have trouble staying organized, and often lose assignments 6)I have to keep changing environments, (class to class, and going on walks when i get hyper) and because of my autism and my rigidness and resistance to change it stresses me out and causes sensory overload 7) fear of not getting a scholarship.......I didnt do so well in high school my first 3 years (2.77 gpa) so i need a 3.69 gpa this year to get a scholarship (specifically, HOPE scholarship)......question: "what feels you with dread when you have to go to school?" answer: not sleeping, worrying about forgetting to take meds.....question: "what are you on meds for again?" answer: aggression, anxiety, unstable mood......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

Comment

These are perfectly legitimate concerns to have in your situation. It is not psychosomatic. I suffer from Lyme Disease so I also have similar difficulties with overstimulation and am very noise sensitive. It is a real shame that your parents and shrink don't seem to understand this. A busy school with loads of teenagers sounds like the worst possible place for someone in your situation but sadly, schools are designed to have a "one size fits all" model and not individually tailored for anyone whose needs are different from the neurotypical kids. Perhaps for your parents, denial is their coping mechanism- I know my parents were in denial a lot for the first couple of years in my case though alhamdullilah, they are supportive now.

Is there a way that you can do some sort of OU course instead? I don't know if they have such courses where you are, but in the UK, these courses allow people to study from home, even study to degree level. The main downside of that is, you're expected to have good organisational skills and motivate yourself a lot whereas at school, you have teachers on your back to remind and make sure of certain things, but at least you'd avoid the overstimulation problems and having to deal with obnoxious people.

Would it help if your parents hired a tutor a couple of hours a week to make sure you cover stuff that's missed at school? I personally think at the end of this academic year, you should rethink everything and go out of your way to find a type of educational course that better suits your unique educational needs rather than everyone trying to force you to "adapt" to a school that isn't a good fit.

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
            These are perfectly legitimate concerns to have in your situation. It is not psychosomatic. I suffer from Lyme Disease so I also have similar difficulties with overstimulation and am very noise sensitive. It is a real shame that your parents and shrink don't seem to understand this. A busy school with loads of teenagers sounds like the worst possible place for someone in your situation but sadly, schools are designed to have a "one size fits all" model and not individually tailored for anyone whose needs are different from the neurotypical kids. Perhaps for your parents, denial is their coping mechanism- I know my parents were in denial a lot for the first couple of years in my case though alhamdullilah, they are supportive now.

Is there a way that you can do some sort of OU course instead? I don't know if they have such courses where you are, but in the UK, these courses allow people to study from home, even study to degree level. The main downside of that is, you're expected to have good organisational skills and motivate yourself a lot whereas at school, you have teachers on your back to remind and make sure of certain things, but at least you'd avoid the overstimulation problems and having to deal with obnoxious people.

Would it help if your parents hired a tutor a couple of hours a week to make sure you cover stuff that's missed at school? I personally think at the end of this academic year, you should rethink everything and go out of your way to find a type of educational course that better suits your unique educational needs rather than everyone trying to force you to "adapt" to a school that isn't a good fit.
            there are online courses i can take, but you said, "OU"....I am not in university....i am not sure if I would be able to take online classes only........I would have to talk to my school, also, I am worried I would not be able to transition from regular school to online school in the middle of a semester.....I suppose I could do all my work from home for the rest of the semester, or I could just stick it out and do next semester all online.....

Comment

I don't think you'd be able to switch to a different form of learning (such as online or learning from home) mid semester but yes, it would be a good idea to talk to the school about which options are feasible so that you can make a transition towards this sort of thing maybe next semester if you're convinced that it would make the learning experience less stressful and more manageable for you. I hope they help with this.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X