Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Form vs Function – Unrealistic Body Images of Men in the Modern Media

https://gingerbeardmansite.wordpress...-modern-media/

O children of Adam, take your adornment at every masjid, and eat and drink, but be not excessive. Indeed, He likes not those who commit excess.
    Quran translation, Surah al-A’raf, 7:31

Assalaamu Alaykum brothers and sisters,

We’re all used to hearing about an unrealistic body image being promoted for women in the modern world and yes this is a terrible problem, leading to depression, anxiety, eating disorders (over as well as under eating) and suicides among many, including our young (and sometimes not so young) sisters. We cannot deny how huge an issue this has become but are we not guilty as a society of the same when it comes to men...
    Full article linked top of the post.
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Re: Form vs Function – Unrealistic Body Images of Men in the Modern Media

Cool article.

I remember reading about bodybuilding vs weightlifting and which was closer to the Sunnah. Personally, I'd rather BE strong so I can carry my groceries up the stairs to my door rather than LOOK strong but be too puny and have to take a lift.

I've seen videos of fitness models on the run up to a photoshoot and they overtrain and severely dehydrate themselves to achieve the shredded six pack. Men think they need to look like that yet the fitness models don't even look like that under normal conditions.
    Last edited by EenieMeanie; 17-10-16, 01:52 PM.
    And when it is said to them, "Do not cause corruption on the earth," they say, "We are but reformers." (11) Unquestionably, it is they who are the corrupters, but they perceive [it] not. (12) - Surat al-Baqarah
    http://www.ummzakiyyah.com/polygamy_not_my_problem/

Comment

Originally posted by EenieMeanie View Post
      Cool article.

I remember reading about bodybuilding vs weightlifting and which was closer to the Sunnah. Personally, I'd rather BE strong so I can carry my groceries up the stairs to my door rather than LOOK strong but be too puny and have to take a lift.
      if you find the article again post it here as would love to read
      FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

:jkk: br Gingerbeardman.

This is a big problem for young men these days. So much of what is seen of the ideal body image is actually unnatural and unachievable without going to unhealthy extremes. With all the things that go into a photoshoot, for example, those within that industry mention how they themselves do not look anywhere near as 'impressive' in their normal state. Lighting, dehydrating, getting a pump just before shooting... (Not to mention all the things they are on and have been on).

Even filiming movies, between filiming, you have actors performing exercises to get a pump. Anyone who works out knows what you look like just after a session and when 'cold' there is quite a big difference.

Of course, people can and do get in fantastic shape naturally with a lot of dedication. For some it's a lot easier than others, though. Best to be realistic and to be consistent, and not compare one's self to others.

You are right, brother. To be big and cut naturally is a rare thing, so that strongman physique is more easily attainable. Again, how much eating goes into all of this, though, is it healthy or in line with a Muslim mindset?

Often times people into bodybuilding have dysmorphia, dependance on 'gear' and other problems, and it becomes just another trap of shaytaan to cause us harm.

Imho, exercising, lifting weights, etc are a wonderful ni'mah from Allah Ta'aalaa and help in many ways. We shouldn't become preoccupied with it to the extent it takes priority over other more important things or make it a cause of our unhappiness.
        LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
        -------------------------------
        "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
        NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Comment

Originally posted by Fakhri View Post
          :jkk: br Gingerbeardman.
          To be big and cut naturally is a rare thing, so that strongman physique is more easily attainable. Again, how much eating goes into all of this, though, is it healthy or in line with a Muslim mindset?.
          I've grappled with this too. You end up filling your stomach way over a third and might put off fasting sunnahs. Are you allowed to over-eat Islamically so long as you justify it by 'using it up' at the gym?
          And when it is said to them, "Do not cause corruption on the earth," they say, "We are but reformers." (11) Unquestionably, it is they who are the corrupters, but they perceive [it] not. (12) - Surat al-Baqarah

Comment

Both versions require genetic predisposition.

Comment

Originally posted by EenieMeanie View Post
              I've grappled with this too. You end up filling your stomach way over a third and might put off fasting sunnahs. Are you allowed to over-eat Islamically so long as you justify it by 'using it up' at the gym?
              Personally, I've tried to strike some sort of balance. I don't know the answer to this, but I'm assuming if one were to train with a true pure intention and eat accordingly for strength and size, it might be something acceptable, maybe even recommended, eg, someone working in security? A mujaahid (?)?

This is just speculation, on my part, though, and it might be a little different for men and women.

(Ps, not sure why my phone keeps autocorrectting the word filming to filiming :] )
              LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
              -------------------------------
              "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
              NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Comment

Originally posted by Fakhri View Post
                Personally, I've tried to strike some sort of balance. I don't know the answer to this, but I'm assuming if one were to train with a true pure intention and eat accordingly for strength and size, it might be something acceptable, maybe even recommended, eg, someone working in security? A mujaahid (?)?

This is just speculation, on my part, though, and it might be a little different for men and women.

(Ps, not sure why my phone keeps autocorrectting the word filming to filiming :] )
                Your phone has a Somali accent.

Comment

Working...
                X