No announcement yet.

I don't know what I want to major in!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know what I want to major in!!!

I'm going to be going to college soon....I want a major that would provide me a good, halal job with just an undergrad, so that I could get married early, but if I choose to go into graduate school and academia, something I wouldn't mind studying at the doctoral level (or master's level).....so something I would be willing to research, something which would allow me to be influential in the social sciences if I were to go into academia....and something which provides a good job with just a bachelors, if I choose to get married without a doctorate to avoid being broke....

I've narrowed it down as of now, but it keeps changing...
    here they are....
    1) accounting (problem is, I don't feel passionate enough about accounting to go into academia. I take an intro to business and tech class, and it is my highest grade in school with a 96)
    2) finance (problem is, the jobs are often stressful, and many jobs are haram due to the work with riba....)
    3) economics (most jobs with just an undergrad are the same stressful jobs as a finance major, cause you need a master's to become an economist...also, on the exams, I scored higher on macroeconomics and international economics than the more practical microeconomics and personal finance...however, I scored 99th percentile in the nation)
    4) mathematics (not sure if that would help me be influential in the social sciences, even if I worked with econometrics.....(mathematical economics) )
    5)international studies/global studies (second highest grade I have in school is in international affairs, with a 95, but I'm not sure that a bachelors would be practical in finding a job, especially for someone like me with anxiety and autism)

Re: I don't know what I want to major in!!!

What about Architecture?

Comment

Originally posted by ElKh View Post
      What about Architecture?
      I'm not interested in it AT ALL, besides, there is a high unemployment rate for architecture majors...

Comment

Pharmacy? Dentistry?

Comment

Originally posted by Striving for Janna View Post
          I'm going to be going to college soon....I want a major that would provide me a good, halal job with just an undergrad, so that I could get married early, but if I choose to go into graduate school and academia, something I wouldn't mind studying at the doctoral level (or master's level).....so something I would be willing to research, something which would allow me to be influential in the social sciences if I were to go into academia....and something which provides a good job with just a bachelors, if I choose to get married without a doctorate to avoid being broke....

I've narrowed it down as of now, but it keeps changing...
          here they are....
          1) accounting (problem is, I don't feel passionate enough about accounting to go into academia. I take an intro to business and tech class, and it is my highest grade in school with a 96)
          2) finance (problem is, the jobs are often stressful, and many jobs are haram due to the work with riba....)
          3) economics (most jobs with just an undergrad are the same stressful jobs as a finance major, cause you need a master's to become an economist...also, on the exams, I scored higher on macroeconomics and international economics than the more practical microeconomics and personal finance...however, I scored 99th percentile in the nation)
          4) mathematics (not sure if that would help me be influential in the social sciences, even if I worked with econometrics.....(mathematical economics) )
          5)international studies/global studies (second highest grade I have in school is in international affairs, with a 95, but I'm not sure that a bachelors would be practical in finding a job, especially for someone like me with anxiety and autism)
          story of my life ,someone help us
          How about clinical psychology its very rewarding
          Ya Allah,
          Make me a stronger person today. Make me a better person out of all these. It is no longer bearable for me for my heart is aching and You are the only One who knows how I feel. Nothing is making sense to myself and for anyone else for that matter especially to the one person I wish to understand me better than anybody else.
          "Don't use the sharpness of your tongue on the mother who taught you how to speak

Comment

3 or 4 imo according to what you've said about each
            Say what somebody can do instead of the haram if you want to help.

Comment

Originally posted by ElKh View Post
              Pharmacy? Dentistry?
              again, that would take a long time of being broke, especially compared to academia, and it would involve getting riba loans to pay for dentistry school or pharmacy school, and I also want to get married without being penniless.

Comment

Originally posted by Striving for Janna View Post
                again, that would take a long time of being broke, especially compared to academia, and it would involve getting riba loans to pay for dentistry school or pharmacy school, and I also want to get married without being penniless.
                Brother, I'm sorry I don't know what to advise you. Ideally, I would say to try to find a job now that you can work full time, settle your expenses, save up and get married. May Allah make it easy for you.

Comment

Story of my life.. well 3 years later and I still don't know what I wanna be. But that's fine, Insha ' Allah I'll know in the next year. Wanna know how? Because I have like 7 different work experiences I am going to be starting, to figure out what I wanna do. Excessive much...yup. But Insha ' Allah that will settle it, once and for all.
                  My advice consists of a couple of things things... (kinda feel hypocritical giving advice, but I do feel like with the amount of research I've done, I could work as a careers advisor)
                  1) Do something you enjoy... something that interests you... and something that is employable in halal jobs too.
                  2) When you pick something, stick to it,and ride it through. Don't think 'what if, what if' etc... just be decisive, and see it through till the end. (unless you really hate it, and firmly know you'll love the alternate option)
                  3) Make Istikhaarah
                  4) Resarch.. open day.. view the specific course content. If you won't enjoy it, don't pick it. If its leading directly to haram, don't pick it. If you enjoy it and it's halal.. go for it. Having a halal degree in itself is valuable, and you can figure out your exact career path open, but it will open doors, if It's the right thing for you, Insha ' Allah.
                  And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
                  [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Working...
                  X