Does having anxiety makes you "slow"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does having anxiety makes you "slow"?

"Slow" meaning you think very slowly, and you take a longer time to catch somethiing and getting the meaning of something. And when you're so anxious, you can't focus much and your mind just goes blank. You get easily distracted and you just cant think straight.

It's hard to explain, but sometimes I do get this "slow" moments every now and then, it's a bit embarrassing for me,really. Especially in front of friends, in school, or by myself in public.

I'm not sure whether it's just my social anxiety, because apparently I have one but doctor says it's "mild". Or maybe cuz I just started uni, which appears to be quite fast paced, in curriculum than my previous school, Or maybe I'm just overthinking.

Can't give examples from my personal life, , but I just know that on top of being slow, I tend to get easily stressed over school, overthink what people say, and I feel very numb sometimes.

Can anybody share some insights or say something about this?

have a good one
    x

Re: Does having anxiety makes you "slow"?

Yes. It does, but lessens with familiarity of people and situations (naturally).

People with social anxiety are often processing too much unnecessary information to focus on what it is that should be done. (Allahu a'lam)
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Comment

I personally dont think it is linked
      يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

If you have anxiety your mind wouldn't be able to deal with anything else except the ton of bricks that's weighing down on your chest

But I think ur talking about ur attention. Sometimes when ur dreaming or imagining or coming up with genius ideas then u ain't really paying attention to friends or the people around u... so by the time u snap out of ur dream what they say kinda catches up with u :)
        "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

"Nothing protects the rights of the minority like the tyranny of the majority"

Comment

Originally posted by nudgetheputri View Post
          "Slow" meaning you think very slowly, and you take a longer time to catch somethiing and getting the meaning of something. And when you're so anxious, you can't focus much and your mind just goes blank. You get easily distracted and you just cant think straight.

It's hard to explain, but sometimes I do get this "slow" moments every now and then, it's a bit embarrassing for me,really. Especially in front of friends, in school, or by myself in public.

I'm not sure whether it's just my social anxiety, because apparently I have one but doctor says it's "mild". Or maybe cuz I just started uni, which appears to be quite fast paced, in curriculum than my previous school, Or maybe I'm just overthinking.

Can't give examples from my personal life, , but I just know that on top of being slow, I tend to get easily stressed over school, overthink what people say, and I feel very numb sometimes.

Can anybody share some insights or say something about this?

have a good one
          x
          I used to never really have blank moments, until I literally started having these moments where someone would talk to me and I would stare at them for a good 5 seconds completely blank and completely dumb-founded. Absolutely no reason! It's not like they offended me or were attacking me.

People experience anxiety differently. Sometimes when I'm anxious, it's racing thoughts, overly reactive, stressed, moving quickly, etc. However, there's also the 'doing a presentation in front of 30 people' anxiety where you know your stuff so well but you get up to present and you seem like you did the project five minutes ago. Sub'ana Allah.

Alhamdulillah ever since I discovered Islam, I realized how strong we must be. The biggest breaking point was how woman must not be soft and nice with mahrams and so that is what made my character a bit stronger. I still get tongue-tied and I still experience moments of 'not finding my words' but it's not as much as when I went through the phase of that.

Also my anxiety decreased drastically when I started learning more about Allah SWT and when I put my full faith in him, the outcome no longer scares me because I know it is what is best for me.

"Fighting has been enjoined upon you while it is hateful to you. But perhaps you hate a thing and it is good for you; and perhaps you love a thing and it is bad for you. And Allah Knows, while you know not." [2:216]
          May Allah SWT help you and help all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by aynina View Post
            I personally dont think it is linked
            Psychology is absolutely linked to physicality sister. There was an instance where Hitler had put Jewish people in a room and he told them they will be gased by mustard gas. They all died. Hitler never gased them. It was their psychosis that killed them. Sub'ana Allah

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah5 View Post
              Psychology is absolutely linked to physicality sister. There was an instance where Hitler had put Jewish people in a room and he told them they will be gased by mustard gas. They all died. Hitler never gased them. It was their psychosis that killed them. Sub'ana Allah
              Hi sister could you give me the source of that info please :inlove:
              "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Comment

I have the opposite problem......I think too quick and my mind is 100mph......I finish people's sentences too......
                Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

Originally posted by shay5 View Post
                  I have the opposite problem......I think too quick and my mind is 100mph......I finish people's sentences too......
                  I read a sentence and figure out the gist of the story... alot of times I'm guilty of not reading the OP or whatever :shock: I skim it...

Comment

i had this i think it was due to parenting and lack of social interaction and being grounded to my family so a person will feel lost

Comment

Originally posted by candyapple View Post
                      Hi sister could you give me the source of that info please :inlove:
                      I heard the story from my college professor, I tried to find it but with little avail. I don't know where the professor got it. However, I will give you evidence but on a much smaller scale, when we are depressed, our immune function decreases.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/news...harms-immunity

Also the professor gave a personal anecdote of when she was in University, and one of her classmates was an A student, super stressed all the time. They had a final and it was huge. The student literally woke up the day of the test blind. She couldn't see. She went to the hospital and her sight came back shortly and she rescheduled her exam. Apparently it was out of her stress. I don't see a reason why the professor would lie about her anecdote.

Comment

I read a sentence and figure out the gist of the story... alot of times I'm guilty of not reading the OP or whatever :shock: I skim it...
                        Yes...I am a fast reader too.......
                        Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

Originally posted by shay5 View Post
                          Yes...I am a fast reader too.......
                          :inlove:

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah5 View Post
                            I heard the story from my college professor, I tried to find it but with little avail. I don't know where the professor got it. However, I will give you evidence but on a much smaller scale, when we are depressed, our immune function decreases.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/news...harms-immunity

Also the professor gave a personal anecdote of when she was in University, and one of her classmates was an A student, super stressed all the time. They had a final and it was huge. The student literally woke up the day of the test blind. She couldn't see. She went to the hospital and her sight came back shortly and she rescheduled her exam. Apparently it was out of her stress. I don't see a reason why the professor would lie about her anecdote.
                            It's cool jazakAllahukhair for trying.

In our geography class our teacher showed us the clip of where jews Poured petrol on themselves and litthemselves to fire... we literally watched the vid in black n white.... Now u try n look for it it's nowhere to be found

Comment

It's cool jazakAllahukhair for trying.

In our geography class our teacher showed us the clip of where jews Poured petrol on themselves and litthemselves to fire... we literally watched the vid in black n white.... Now u try n look for it it's nowhere to be found
                              My goodness... May Allah SWT protect this Ummah from such travesties. I cannot fathom watching anything of that nature, you are brave Allahuma barik!

Comment

Working...
                              X