Mental Toughness Training : Pushing the limits of body & soul

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental Toughness Training : Pushing the limits of body & soul

Let's examine what it is from the Dunya & Islamic perspective and see where the two harmonize.

Tip 1 : keyword Disassociation

The answer is to basically know how to play with pain and discomfort. The skill you must practice and learn how to do is to disassociate.

Since I was introduced to this concept, I interviewed several SEALs, physiologists, and psychologists as well as thought about my own experiences. It was confirmed by all parties - Spec Ops students and scientists alike - the ability to disassociate is a highly useful skill that can be used in athletics, daily life, as well as SEAL training.
    The ability to disassociate should not be confused with the disassociate disorder often caused by traumatic events, but rather realized as a method to endure long, painful, uncomfortable, and tiring events like Hell Week or cold water exposure.

More here. . http://www.military.com/military-fit...c-ops-training

Re: Mental Toughness Training : Pushing the limits of body & soul

Originally posted by Chained Rider View Post
    Let's examine what it is from the Dunya & Islamic perspective and see where the two harmonize.

Tip 1 : keyword Disassociation

The answer is to basically know how to play with pain and discomfort. The skill you must practice and learn how to do is to disassociate.

Since I was introduced to this concept, I interviewed several SEALs, physiologists, and psychologists as well as thought about my own experiences. It was confirmed by all parties - Spec Ops students and scientists alike - the ability to disassociate is a highly useful skill that can be used in athletics, daily life, as well as SEAL training.
    The ability to disassociate should not be confused with the disassociate disorder often caused by traumatic events, but rather realized as a method to endure long, painful, uncomfortable, and tiring events like Hell Week or cold water exposure.

More here. . http://www.military.com/military-fit...c-ops-training
    MaashAllah.

I noticed too when I'm under stress it's how I deal with it that makes me be able to deal with it like a breeze. I guess that's the disassociation ur talking about.
    "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

"Nothing protects the rights of the minority like the tyranny of the majority"

Comment

An example of mental toughness from the Seerah .

Uthman ibn Affan (radiyallahu anhu) in the face of death .

Ibn `Umar related from `Uthman that the previous night the latter had seen the Prophet in his dream
      telling him: "Be strong!Verily you shall break your fast with us tomorrow
      night."

When his assailants
      came in they found him reading the Qur’an. `Uthman was first stabbed in the head with an arrow-
      head, then a man placed the point of his sword against his belly, whereupon his wife Na’ila tried to prevent him with
      her hand, losing several fingers.

Then `Uthman and
      Na’ila’s servant were killed as the latter fought back. She ran out of the house
      screaming for help and the killers dispersed. It is
      narrated that `Uthman
      was killed as he was
      reading the verse "And Allah will suffice you for defense against them. He is the Hearer, the
      Knower."
      (2:137)
      http://www.sunnah.org/publication/kh...en/caliph3.htm

Comment

Originally posted by candyapple View Post
        MaashAllah.

I noticed too when I'm under stress it's how I deal with it that makes me be able to deal with it like a breeze. I guess that's the disassociation ur talking about.
        Yes . When you do Zikr, pray Salah , read Quran in times of Stress you are disassociating from the world. And as even Allah says in the Quran ' Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find satisfaction. That's the best form of disassociation there is.

Comment

Prosperity and Success through Dhikr

And do thou (O reader!) Bring thy Lord to remembrance in thy (very) soul, with humility and in
          reverence, without loudness in words, in the mornings and
          evenings; and be not thou of those who are unheedful. (Surah
          Al-A‘raf, 205)

O ye who believe! When ye meet a force, be firm, and call Allah in remembrance much (and often); that ye may prosper: (Surah Al- Anfal, 45)

Comment

And when things get too tough and overwhelming , what do some people do for eg: the kuffar and unfortunately even a few namesake Muslims . Resort to negative self-destructive forms of dissassociation like alchohol,drugs and substance abuse. Come to Islam and turn your life around today.

#Saynotokhamr
            #YestoIslam

Comment

If you already have a hard life then you know

How it goes

Comment

Tip 2 : Calorie restriction and intermittent fasting

http://gettingstronger.org/wp-conten...U3Ryb25nZXI%3D

Comment

Originally posted by Arabic72 View Post
                  If you already have a hard life then you know

How it goes
                  I was just reading an article from the strategicathlete.com, i think. And this quote hit me heavily.

Every once in a while you need to put yourself in that dark place, without the benefit of all those external motivators, and slug it out with yourself.

Comment

Just draw closer to Allah you dnt need none of this otherr stuff - stay up all night pray etc and make this a constant thing it doesnt matter if your feeling cold or about to die stick to your way and ull see the fruits(not that i do)

The Prophet ﷺ said, “When Allah loves a servant, He tests him,” [Tirmidhi].

And Afaik Allah would not give you a test if you were not capable of bearing it

So gain the love of Allah and that would make you strongest inshallah
                    Accept the decree

It has happened to a million other people don't expect to be the exception

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	COeERgqWcAAC8p0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	10764257
                      Accept the decree

It has happened to a million other people don't expect to be the exception

Comment

Originally posted by LingLing12 View Post
                        Just draw closer to Allah you dnt need none of this otherr stuff - stay up all night pray etc and make this a constant thing it doesnt matter if your feeling cold or about to die stick to your way and ull see the fruits(not that i do)

The Prophet ﷺ said, “When Allah loves a servant, He tests him,” [Tirmidhi].

And Afaik Allah would not give you a test if you were not capable of bearing it

So gain the love of Allah and that would make you strongest inshallah
                        Yes. We know Allah tests a person. This thread is to help individuals cope with the test through practical tips rather than just slogans.

Comment

And Ling , the hadith mention the tests get harder when you get closer to Allah. So how do you cope with it . You at the end of your post gave a slogan ' Gain the love of Allah and you'll be Stronger' but the closer you get to Allah , the tests become harder. The hadith doesn't mention us getting stronger. So one can deduce from the hadith and the related Quranic verses that Allah has left it to us to develop strength, patience , perseverance aka toughness of charachter with a few guidelines in the hadith and Seerah. It's up to us to dissect specifics in a way that can be applied in day to day life. So that's the purpose of this thread .
                          Last edited by Chained Rider; 05-10-16, 08:27 AM.

Comment

On Tip 2 : Eating less and fasting.

From an Islamic perspective , one is aware of the countless spiritual benefits it provides to the Muslim besides fulfilling the fast esp during Ramadan as one of Islam's obligations .

The physical benefits on the mind and body are a bonus .Fasting has been known to help to regulate the hormones in your body. So think of all those times your hormones were out of control and you acted all crazy and wacky. Yes fasting makes you serene and a more tranquil peaceful person. Fasting acts like a reset button: the longer you fast, the more your body can regulate itself to release the correct hormones.

Fasting has shown to improve brain function, because it boosts the production of a protein called brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF.)

With a lighter body and a clearer mind we become more aware and grateful for the things around us. Not eating anything for just one day has shown to help the body clean up the toxins and regulate the functioning of other organs of the body like liver, kidneys and other parts. ( scientific stuff ref: from lifehack.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Chained Rider View Post
                              An example of mental toughness from the Seerah .

Uthman ibn Affan (radiyallahu anhu) in the face of death .

Ibn `Umar related from `Uthman that the previous night the latter had seen the Prophet in his dream
                              telling him: "Be strong!Verily you shall break your fast with us tomorrow
                              night."

When his assailants
                              came in they found him reading the Qur’an. `Uthman was first stabbed in the head with an arrow-
                              head, then a man placed the point of his sword against his belly, whereupon his wife Na’ila tried to prevent him with
                              her hand, losing several fingers.

Then `Uthman and
                              Na’ila’s servant were killed as the latter fought back. She ran out of the house
                              screaming for help and the killers dispersed. It is
                              narrated that `Uthman
                              was killed as he was
                              reading the verse "And Allah will suffice you for defense against them. He is the Hearer, the
                              Knower."
                              (2:137)
                              http://www.sunnah.org/publication/kh...en/caliph3.htm
                              Subanallah. Uhthman Ibn Affan (radiyallahu anh) was also fasting during the time of one of history's most tumultous incident. He is truly a model of toughness of character for Muslims.

Comment

Working...
                              X