Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islamic hunting question

Salam alaikum

Is It permissible to hunt with a slingshot?

I'm inclined to say no as slingshot generally kill by blunt force not penetration.

Has anyone ever hunted with a slingshot here?

I'm thinking of making some darts to use instead of shot so that I will get some blood flow and penetration.

Any thoughts on this?

I'm looking at harvesting a nice sized beaver but it's not much of land loving beaver so It would be easier to shoot it in the water.

Can't use a gun as it's too close to a road and I don't have a good bow to use.

Re: Islamic hunting question

Originally posted by ISAupNorth View Post

I'm looking at harvesting a nice sized beaver but it's not much of land loving beaver so It would be easier to shoot it in the water.
    What does that paragraph mean? The only meaning for beaver I know is that animal...the one that makes dam like homes...

Comment

Salam alaikum

Is It permissible to hunt with a slingshot?

I'm inclined to say no as slingshot generally kill by blunt force not penetration.

Has anyone ever hunted with a slingshot here?

I'm thinking of making some darts to use instead of shot so that I will get some blood flow and penetration.

Any thoughts on this?

Can't use a gun as it's too close to a road and I don't have a good bow to use.
      First question to ask would be if beaver is halal to eat. I don't know, but I doubt that it is halal. If you are harvesting it for its hide, then that's a different matter.

Comment

Originally posted by TCKMuslima View Post
        What does that paragraph mean? The only meaning for beaver I know is that animal...the one that makes dam like homes...
        Harvesting is the polite term for kill it for food,Nice sized means that it's worth harvesting,not a small or juvenile one(around 30-35lbs.last time I saw it), a land loving beaver is one who comes out of the water a lot,some beavers tend to spend more time in the water than others and some are pretty bold on land venturing farther into the bush for forage.

Beaver is Halal as it is not a carnivore,will attempt to escape when approached by man and is not a scavenger like rats or mice.
        Beaver eat bark,twigs and water plants

this is the animal I'm talking about
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_beaver

Comment

Harvesting is the polite term for kill it for food,Nice sized means that it's worth harvesting,not a small or juvenile one(around 30-35lbs.last time I saw it), a land loving beaver is one who comes out of the water a lot,some beavers tend to spend more time in the water than others and some are pretty bold on land venturing farther into the bush for forage.

Beaver is Halal as it is not a carnivore,will attempt to escape when approached by man and is not a scavenger like rats or mice.
          Beaver eat bark,twigs and water plants

this is the animal I'm talking about
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_beaver
          I'm familiar with beaver. Beavers are rodents, no? Rodents are haram, as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by abdulsidd View Post
            I'm familiar with beaver. Beavers are rodents, no? Rodents are haram, as far as I know.
            Evidence?

Mice and rats are haram because of their habits and lifestyle. they are scavengers,spread disease,start fires,pollute water and food stuffs.
            Beavers do none of those things.

Everything is HALAL Until provn otherwise
            unless your a hanafi,then everything is Haram until proven kosher.

Comment

:wswrwb:

Can't you just eat chicken?

I wish I could help but I don't have the exact evidence.

I have never ever heard of any muslim eating a beaver. Rabbits are halal though.

[MENTION=105052]Darul Ilm[/MENTION] can answer this
              'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Evidence?

Mice and rats are haram because of their habits and lifestyle. they are scavengers,spread disease,start fires,pollute water and food stuffs.
                Beavers do none of those things.

Everything is HALAL Until provn otherwise
                unless your a hanafi,then everything is Haram until proven kosher.
                You may be right. I'll have to ask a scholar about it. I know there is a difference of opinion regarding squirrel and that is also a rodent.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=92058

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                  :wswrwb:

Can't you just eat chicken?

I wish I could help but I don't have the exact evidence.

I have never ever heard of any muslim eating a beaver. Rabbits are halal though.

[MENTION=105052]Darul Ilm[/MENTION] can answer this
                  Never seen a wild chicken in Canada,If I knew of some I would hunt them.

Hunting is from the Sunnah,I'm sure if there were Beaver in Arabia the Sahaba would've hunted them and ate them.

Beavers are delicious. I'm sure my beloved Nabi saw would've ate one had he got the chance especially the tail,He saw ate Whale when he got the chance.

Real male muslims like to hunt,it's a man thing I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by abdulsidd View Post
                    You may be right. I'll have to ask a scholar about it. I know there is a difference of opinion regarding squirrel and that is also a rodent.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=92058
                    Squirrells are foragers and not savengers like mice and rats.

Animals that graze or forage are game animals and can be hunted as they are halal. animals that hunt other animals or scavenge are haram,only reason to hunt one down and kill it would be the protecting of people/community.

usually a scavenger will eat anything,grass,herbs,fruit, grains and dead meat ex. bears,wild dogs,coyotes,raccoons,rats and mice.
                    AS a general rule scavenger are also not delicious,they have funky tasting meat. bear meat is horrible

Comment

that's a pretty sketchy site you linked

The scholars may Allaah have mercy upon them differed in opinion with regard to the permissibility of eating a squirrel; the majority of them are of the view that it is permissible to eat it. However, some other scholars may Allaah have mercy upon them are of the view that it is forbidden to eat it because it eats with its canine teeth; this is the view of the Hanafi school, and the view of some scholars may Allaah have mercy upon them of the Shaafi'ee and Hanbali schools, whereas the Maaliki school is of the view that it is disliked.
                      To conclude, the most preponderant opinion is that it is permissible to eat a squirrel according to An-Nawawi may Allaah have mercy upon him from the Shaafi'ee school, Ibn Qudaamah and Al-Mardaawi may Allaah have mercy upon them from the Hanbali school, and Khaleel may Allaah have mercy upon him from the Maaliki school.
                      Allaah Knows best.

What squirrel has canine teeth?
                      If it has canines it's not a squirrel,no rodent has canine teeth,dentition is a defining characteristic of ALL animals.
                      Carnivores and scavengers have canines.
                      Squirrels and all rodents have prominant INCISORS not canines.

Fatwa fail

Comment

Never seen a wild chicken in Canada,If I knew of some I would hunt them.

Hunting is from the Sunnah,I'm sure if there were Beaver in Arabia the Sahaba would've hunted them and ate them.

Beavers are delicious. I'm sure my beloved Nabi saw would've ate one had he got the chance especially the tail,He saw ate Whale when he got the chance.

Real male muslims like to hunt,it's a man thing I wouldn't expect you to understand.
                        If you do see one take a picture for us.

I like fishing (I know it's not like real hunting but it's close for me anyway) not that I do it often just did it in Bangladesh for a bit because my grandparents had a pond. I understand it is fun, I'm not dissing hunting for food.

Yes, I agree. Hunting is a man thing and every man should do it just like archery and other activities instead of sitting at home playing games all day.

I don't know about beavers though, not appealing to me :/

I want to try camel meat and milk though.
                        'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

that's a pretty sketchy site you linked

The scholars may Allaah have mercy upon them differed in opinion with regard to the permissibility of eating a squirrel; the majority of them are of the view that it is permissible to eat it. However, some other scholars may Allaah have mercy upon them are of the view that it is forbidden to eat it because it eats with its canine teeth; this is the view of the Hanafi school, and the view of some scholars may Allaah have mercy upon them of the Shaafi'ee and Hanbali schools, whereas the Maaliki school is of the view that it is disliked.
                          To conclude, the most preponderant opinion is that it is permissible to eat a squirrel according to An-Nawawi may Allaah have mercy upon him from the Shaafi'ee school, Ibn Qudaamah and Al-Mardaawi may Allaah have mercy upon them from the Hanbali school, and Khaleel may Allaah have mercy upon him from the Maaliki school.
                          Allaah Knows best.

What squirrel has canine teeth?
                          If it has canines it's not a squirrel,no rodent has canine teeth,dentition is a defining characteristic of ALL animals.
                          Carnivores and scavengers have canines.
                          Squirrels and all rodents have prominant INCISORS not canines.

Fatwa fail
                          First of all, the 'fatwa' is just presenting the fatawa of the various madhabs on this issue.

Secondly, canine might be a mis-translation from the original Arabic fatwa.

Hardly a fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                            If you do see one take a picture for us.

I like fishing (I know it's not like real hunting but it's close for me anyway) not that I do it often just did it in Bangladesh for a bit because my grandparents had a pond. I understand it is fun, I'm not dissing hunting for food.

Yes, I agree. Hunting is a man thing and every man should do it just like archery and other activities instead of sitting at home playing games all day.

I don't know about beavers though, not appealing to me :/

I want to try camel meat and milk though.
                            I don't take picture of things with souls,it's Haram. Once it's dead and the head is removed I might.

I want to get them to start teaching archery to children at the local masjid along with hunting and fishing to get the boys to become men as your right video games and TV turn boys into non-men.

Maybe a muslim version of the Boyscouts as it all skills that the The Prophet saw and the sahaba had and used regularly.

Hunting,tracking,navigation,horsemanship,wildernes s survival etc It teaches young boys valuable skills,help builds confidence and independance which is one thing the men of the Ummah really need.
                            Met WAAAAY too many "men" who had a "let's run to the Kuffar for help on every little thing" attitude and teach their children that. It's not healthy.

There is a store here that sells camel meat,I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

Regarding your original question, I don't know. That question never crossed my mind. I do hunt with a bow and a shotgun, but never really considered slingshot. Have you tried trapping the beaver instead? Or maybe make a throwing spear?

Comment

Working...
                              X