Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using soaps that contain haram ingredients

Originally posted by ninety1daisies View Post
    Yeah I hear you. It gets a little troubling when you have to do wudu in public restroom though. I don't know if it's a good idea to attempt to dry your face under the hand drier.
    Hahaha and that is why you keep an extra set of napkins in your purse, just for those tough times ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah5 View Post
      Hahaha and that is why you keep an extra set of napkins in your purse, just for those tough times ;)
      :)
      Indeed we belong to Allah,
      and indeed to Him we will return.

Quran 2:156

Comment

You are right . It's better to avoid what is doubtful.

But from what I know it is not impermissible to use soap which is in the bathroom or anywhere which is random.

According to our imaam who is following the Hanafi tradition of Deriving rulings (fiqh) he says it is "Halal" until proven haram.

Not ALL soap is automatically haram except for muslim soap.

Soap can contain halal material even amongst non Muslims. There are plenty of vegetarian soaps which use vegetable/plant extract.

Also there is a difference of opinion with regards to alcohol which is none consumable and is not made of grapes or other fruit typically used when making wine.

At the end of the day, there are a difference of opinion amongst trustworthy muslim scholars. I personally don't mind to use any soap , though I try to use what I know is halal (Or should I say I am more confident with) as far as body wash/shampoo.

As our respected imam says and warns, "Do not look down upon your muslim brothers (sisters) if they do not follow you in avoiding what is doubtful"
        (Not saying you are, just thought I would mention that because the advice is valuable)

Allah knows best, hope I don't deter anyone from striving to follow what they are certain is halal. May Allah guide me.

Comment

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
          You are right . It's better to avoid what is doubtful.

But from what I know it is not impermissible to use soap which is in the bathroom or anywhere which is random.

According to our imaam who is following the Hanafi tradition of Deriving rulings (fiqh) he says it is "Halal" until proven haram.

Not ALL soap is automatically haram except for muslim soap.

Soap can contain halal material even amongst non Muslims. There are plenty of vegetarian soaps which use vegetable/plant extract.

Also there is a difference of opinion with regards to alcohol which is none consumable and is not made of grapes or other fruit typically used when making wine.

At the end of the day, there are a difference of opinion amongst trustworthy muslim scholars. I personally don't mind to use any soap , though I try to use what I know is halal (Or should I say I am more confident with) as far as body wash/shampoo.

As our respected imam says and warns, "Do not look down upon your muslim brothers (sisters) if they do not follow you in avoiding what is doubtful"
          (Not saying you are, just thought I would mention that because the advice is valuable)

Allah knows best, hope I don't deter anyone from striving to follow what they are certain is halal. May Allah guide me.
          Oh I hope I didn't seem condescending, that's not my intention at all! And exactly, because there is a difference it's very hard!

And the reason if you want there you can easily find a list of animal derived ingredients to look out for, it may be overwhelming at first, but I can pretty much recognize most of the common derived ingredients (that's how I know how some soaps are haram).

And certainly! I always love vegan options (even though they are expensive) I just look out for the "fragrance" ingredient because it usually contains ethanol.

Again, anyone's best bet (especially when out and about) is when in need to use soap, use it but wash thoroughly the soap left on your hands (try not to get it on your shirt to be extra cautious). And I believe the only problem with alcohol is the view that it is najis (a bit of a difference among scholars though) so washing it off, in sha' Allah will deem it pure. Allah swt knows best, may we be all guided to the correct path and right fatwas.

Comment

Oh I hope I didn't seem condescending, that's not my intention at all! And exactly, because there is a difference it's very hard!

And the reason if you want there you can easily find a list of animal derived ingredients to look out for, it may be overwhelming at first, but I can pretty much recognize most of the common derived ingredients (that's how I know how some soaps are haram).

And certainly! I always love vegan options (even though they are expensive) I just look out for the "fragrance" ingredient because it usually contains ethanol.

Again, anyone's best bet (especially when out and about) is when in need to use soap, use it but wash thoroughly the soap left on your hands (try not to get it on your shirt to be extra cautious). And I believe the only problem with alcohol is the view that it is najis (a bit of a difference among scholars though) so washing it off, in sha' Allah will deem it pure. Allah swt knows best, may we be all guided to the correct path and right fatwas.
            You can buy suitable soap, put it in a little bottle, and keep it in your purse in a small plastic bag. I take my own soap and lotion out with me. I don't like fragrance.

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that they are not halal however if I am stuck in a toilet that only has these soaps, I'll use them but then wash off the najasat
              You can use any soap, Any ingredient incorporated in soap-making is halal, Im assuming not pig ingredients.
              “Mix with the noble people, you become one of them; and keep away from evil people so that you protect yourself from their evils.”

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Lark View Post
                You can use any soap, Any ingredient incorporated in soap-making is halal, Im assuming not pig ingredients.
                Unfortunately, factories are using pig glycerin/ non zabiha fats in soaps and that is why it is an issue. I found this online (MuslimConsumerGroup deems to be reputable) which is what helped me to come to this conclusion:

BAR SOAP

THERE IS NO PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL CHANGES (TABDEELE MAHIYA) DURING THE PROCESSING OF PORK GELATIN AND BAR SOAPS MADE FROM PIG FAT

There is lot of discussion among Muslims living in western countries about physical and chemical changes of Haram raw materials during the manufacturing of food products, such as Type A gelatin from pig source, or emulsifiers such as Mono & Diglycerides from pork fat and personal care items such as bar soaps made from pork fat or glycerin. Several Muslims are quoting Fatwas (Fatwa is a legal statement in Islam, issued by a Mufti or a religious lawyer, on a specific issue) which were issued 50-60 years back, to justify to consume or use them due to physical and chemical changes occur during their processing.

There is no doubt about the following physical and chemical changes or Tabdeele Mahiya of Haram raw material to Halal products. This includes production of vinegar from alcohol, falling of pig in a salt mine and becoming part of salt mine, bone ash, tanning of dead animal skin. These Tabdeele Mahiya cases are acceptable to majority of Islamic scholars.

But few things such as vinegar from wine, pig gelatin, bar soaps made with pork fat are not acceptable according to scientific facts and opinions of several Islamic scholars. Since some of the fatwas are issued 50-60 years back, it seems that no assistance from Muslim scientists was used to check it out scientifically.

Requirements for Tabdeele mahiya are (1) complete change from originality to new things which are not present in the original material (2) change in the name (3) Complete conversion of basic components of a raw material to a complete new product containing new components and several others. The common understanding about change in the original status is that it should not contain original components. Some Islamic scholars do not pay attention to this fact and consider that any chemical changes or reactions result in a new composition, which is not true. Let us discuss this in detail:

Bar soap from Pig fat and other fat based ingredients:

Bar soaps are made from animal fat or vegetable oils or their fatty acids by reacting them with inorganic water-soluble alkali salt or bases. The source of fat is mutton or beef tallow or pork fat but glycerin is also added besides stearic acid (fat based).

The animal fat or vegetable oil is made of distinctive mixture of several different triglycerides. A triglyceride molecule consists of one molecule of glycerin to which three fatty acid molecules are attached, and these fatty acids are specific to different type of triglycerides. Fatty acids are the basic components of any fat. During manufacturing of bar soaps, fats or oil are heated with liquid alkali, such as sodium hydroxide or caustic soda or potassium hydroxide or caustic potash to yield neat soap, water and glycerin. This process is known as saponification of fat or oil. During this process, the basic components fatty acids are transferred without change in its composition from triglyceride to alkali making neat soap (combination of alkali and fatty acid). Neutralization with alkali is also used to produce neat soap. The neat soap is dried and made into pellets, then glycerin and other ingredients are added, and then mixture is extruded to make bar soaps. If the bar soap is made from pork fat then nothing happens to its basic components fatty acids, it remains as it is, same as in pork fat. So bar soap manufacturing process is not the example of Tabdeele Mahiya. The emulsifiers and mono and diglycerides also fall under this category.

On the other hand in manufacturing of distilled white vinegar, dilute ethyl alcohol is converted to acetic acid, water, and a very minute amount of unconverted dilute ethyl alcohol. Tabdeele Maheyia applies here in the case of dilute ethyl alcohol, which is converted to new material acetic acid and water by acetobacter bacteria. The name is changed from dilute ethyl alcohol to vinegar. Distilled white vinegar is Halal but raw material ethyl alcohol is not Halal.

In the case of wine vinegar, the table wine contains 12.2% ethyl alcohol by volume or 9.9% by weight, 85% water, 4% carbohydrate, 0.1% protein and volatile wine flavoring compounds. In wine, only alcohol is subjected for change by acetobacter bacteria to acetic acid and water. So wine vinegar contains acetic acid, water and rest of the above thing, unconverted small amount of wine and wine flavors which are the result of wine making. Imam Shaafi RA does not consider it as Halal. Presence of unconverted wine, wine flavoring compounds are the scientific basis for its not being consider as Halal.

Liquid raw materials are best suitable for Tabdeele Mahiya compare to solids. So it is very important to use scientific facts in deciding the Tabdeele Mahiya of Haram raw materials for the processing of food products, food ingredients and personal care items.

Source: http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/fiqah_science.html

Comment

Thanks for the article.

So basically, you can use soap made out of other animal products besides pig ingredients.
                  “Mix with the noble people, you become one of them; and keep away from evil people so that you protect yourself from their evils.”

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

The thing with alcohol is that there is a dispute among scholars regarding its purity. Some say it's najis others it's pure. I am with the view that it is najis because of the hadith:

At first I was like well maybe the messenger (SAAWS) was referring to the pork but then I thought, well if only the pork is najis then why did he also mention that they drink alcohol in the vessels? So that is my reasoning.

As for external use, it's not completely haram (just my opinion, not a fatwa) especially when in need like sterilizing a wound and such but obviously it's better to avoid it when possible.

Allah swt knows best, I'm no scholar this is just an opinion. May Allah swt guide us ameen , it's just so hard to know these days.
                    Islam is based on Quran and sunnah (and knowledgeable scholars interpret them). We cannot give our own opinions. It's not allowed and it's also very dangerous to say "this is haram/halal in my opinion". How could we know? If we claim something to be halal/haram we have to give daleel (evidence), we have to refer to what scholars have said.

Also, we should not make religion difficult for ourselves. "Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship" (2:185)

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
                    “Religion is easy, and no one overburdens himself in his religion but he will be unable to continue in that way. So do not be extremists, but try to be near perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded. Gain strength by worshipping in the mornings and afternoons and during the last hours of the night.”
                    Narrated by al-Bukhaari (39) and Muslim (2816).

We should be very careful with waswas. Shaytan uses different tactics to lead us astray. When we go to the extremes and focus only on little details (for example if we are not sure if soap contains pig we don't use it, even if it is said that things are pure unless proved otherwise), we forget the bigger picture. Of course we should take deen and everything about it seriously but we should not over burden ourselves. If we give into waswas it usually gets worse and worse.

May Allaah guide and protect us all, aamiin.

Comment

Watch out sis, soap is basically oils that are saponified through the use of lye, but to make a moisturising soap, people use only enough lye to saponify 90-95% of the oils, so that 5-10% of the oils remain oil, in order to moisturise and nourish the skin. Thus if lard from pig is used, there will be some residue in the soap, not all will be saponified, so please everyone beware of the ingredients of hard soap, which often contains lard.
                      يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

use liquid soap - no need for hard oil/tallow/lard

Comment

Originally posted by Kya View Post
                          use liquid soap - no need for hard oil/tallow/lard
                          I quit using all store bought soaps, the liquid ones have ingredients that are chemical and not good for the skin, the hard ones are definately much healthier for your skin you can always check for haram ingredients, but i make my own now
                          يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Working...
                          X