Using soaps that contain haram ingredients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using soaps that contain haram ingredients

I am so torn. What is the ruling? There are people who say using such soaps is impermissible and najis and others who say it's gone through a complete transformation (like wine to vinegar) and is halal and pure. Same with the ruling on using ethanol in such products (I don't know). Any help is appreciated.

Re: Using soaps that contain haram ingredients

I have come to the conclusion that they are not halal however if I am stuck in a toilet that only has these soaps, I'll use them but then wash off the najasat

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah5 View Post
      I have come to the conclusion that they are not halal however if I am stuck in a toilet that only has these soaps, I'll use them but then wash off the najasat
      Well when you are outside, how do you know what the properties are within the soaps? Unless you are certain of it somehow?

The imam at my masjid said the asl is that they are halal... meaning they are assumed halal until proven otherwise.

This is what I follow, life is much easier. Not that I don't look for halal soap in general. I just mean , if I am at a mall or a public place, I assume it's halal, until proven otherwise. Wa Allahu alaam

May Allah increase your taqwa and grant you ease .

Comment

Which ingredients are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
          Well when you are outside, how do you know what the properties are within the soaps? Unless you are certain of it somehow?

The imam at my masjid said the asl is that they are halal... meaning they are assumed halal until proven otherwise.

This is what I follow, life is much easier. Not that I don't look for halal soap in general. I just mean , if I am at a mall or a public place, I assume it's halal, until proven otherwise. Wa Allahu alaam

May Allah increase your taqwa and grant you ease .
          The thing is, we should leave which ever makes us doubt for that which does not make us doubt. And so I have basically memorized (or tried to) the ingredients that are Mashbooh (unknown if halal source or haram source). I'm sorry if I'm making the religion hard, I suffer a bit from waswasa so I hope I don't over-burden anyone but I do feel this is important info.

Evidence:

BAR SOAP

THERE IS NO PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL CHANGES (TABDEELE MAHIYA) DURING THE PROCESSING OF PORK GELATIN AND BAR SOAPS MADE FROM PIG FAT

There is lot of discussion among Muslims living in western countries about physical and chemical changes of Haram raw materials during the manufacturing of food products, such as Type A gelatin from pig source, or emulsifiers such as Mono & Diglycerides from pork fat and personal care items such as bar soaps made from pork fat or glycerin. Several Muslims are quoting Fatwas (Fatwa is a legal statement in Islam, issued by a Mufti or a religious lawyer, on a specific issue) which were issued 50-60 years back, to justify to consume or use them due to physical and chemical changes occur during their processing.

There is no doubt about the following physical and chemical changes or Tabdeele Mahiya of Haram raw material to Halal products. This includes production of vinegar from alcohol, falling of pig in a salt mine and becoming part of salt mine, bone ash, tanning of dead animal skin. These Tabdeele Mahiya cases are acceptable to majority of Islamic scholars.

But few things such as vinegar from wine, pig gelatin, bar soaps made with pork fat are not acceptable according to scientific facts and opinions of several Islamic scholars. Since some of the fatwas are issued 50-60 years back, it seems that no assistance from Muslim scientists was used to check it out scientifically.

Requirements for Tabdeele mahiya are (1) complete change from originality to new things which are not present in the original material (2) change in the name (3) Complete conversion of basic components of a raw material to a complete new product containing new components and several others. The common understanding about change in the original status is that it should not contain original components. Some Islamic scholars do not pay attention to this fact and consider that any chemical changes or reactions result in a new composition, which is not true. Let us discuss this in detail:

Bar soap from Pig fat and other fat based ingredients:

Bar soaps are made from animal fat or vegetable oils or their fatty acids by reacting them with inorganic water-soluble alkali salt or bases. The source of fat is mutton or beef tallow or pork fat but glycerin is also added besides stearic acid (fat based).

The animal fat or vegetable oil is made of distinctive mixture of several different triglycerides. A triglyceride molecule consists of one molecule of glycerin to which three fatty acid molecules are attached, and these fatty acids are specific to different type of triglycerides. Fatty acids are the basic components of any fat. During manufacturing of bar soaps, fats or oil are heated with liquid alkali, such as sodium hydroxide or caustic soda or potassium hydroxide or caustic potash to yield neat soap, water and glycerin. This process is known as saponification of fat or oil. During this process, the basic components fatty acids are transferred without change in its composition from triglyceride to alkali making neat soap (combination of alkali and fatty acid). Neutralization with alkali is also used to produce neat soap. The neat soap is dried and made into pellets, then glycerin and other ingredients are added, and then mixture is extruded to make bar soaps. If the bar soap is made from pork fat then nothing happens to its basic components fatty acids, it remains as it is, same as in pork fat. So bar soap manufacturing process is not the example of Tabdeele Mahiya. The emulsifiers and mono and diglycerides also fall under this category.

On the other hand in manufacturing of distilled white vinegar, dilute ethyl alcohol is converted to acetic acid, water, and a very minute amount of unconverted dilute ethyl alcohol. Tabdeele Maheyia applies here in the case of dilute ethyl alcohol, which is converted to new material acetic acid and water by acetobacter bacteria. The name is changed from dilute ethyl alcohol to vinegar. Distilled white vinegar is Halal but raw material ethyl alcohol is not Halal.

In the case of wine vinegar, the table wine contains 12.2% ethyl alcohol by volume or 9.9% by weight, 85% water, 4% carbohydrate, 0.1% protein and volatile wine flavoring compounds. In wine, only alcohol is subjected for change by acetobacter bacteria to acetic acid and water. So wine vinegar contains acetic acid, water and rest of the above thing, unconverted small amount of wine and wine flavors which are the result of wine making. Imam Shaafi RA does not consider it as Halal. Presence of unconverted wine, wine flavoring compounds are the scientific basis for its not being consider as Halal.

Liquid raw materials are best suitable for Tabdeele Mahiya compare to solids. So it is very important to use scientific facts in deciding the Tabdeele Mahiya of Haram raw materials for the processing of food products, food ingredients and personal care items.

Source: http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/fiqah_science.html
          I'm sure if you live in the west it's just easy to order online "halal soap" or "halal shampoo" or on MuslimConsumerGroup there are a bunch of lists of halal stuff.

Ameen and may Allah swt grant us all jannat firdaws

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
            Which ingredients are you referring to?
            Tallow, Gelatin, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Fragrance (alcohol) etc. and I'm sure if you look up "animal derived ingredients" it'll show up. But there is a whole list of halal stuff on MuslimConsumerGroup

What's awesome though is that there are vegan options, and as long as you pick something without fragrance, (fragrance = alcohol) it should be halal in sha' Allah. It's also easy to just order halal stuff online.

Comment

Tallow, Gelatin, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Fragrance (alcohol) etc. and I'm sure if you look up "animal derived ingredients" it'll show up. But there is a whole list of halal stuff on MuslimConsumerGroup

What's awesome though is that there are vegan options, and as long as you pick something without fragrance, (fragrance = alcohol) it should be halal in sha' Allah. It's also easy to just order halal stuff online.
              It's not haram to use soaps that contain alcohol - it's not drinking stuff.

As for bars of soap in public/communal toilets - eww... I wouldn't touch them even if they were 'halal'. Just use water. I don't even like touching the taps.

Comment

As for bars of soap in public/communal toilets - eww... I wouldn't touch them even if they were 'halal'. Just use water. I don't even like touching the taps.
                Eww public bar soaps even exist?

*cringe
                Indeed we belong to Allah,
                and indeed to Him we will return.

Quran 2:156

Comment

The thing with alcohol is that there is a dispute among scholars regarding its purity. Some say it's najis others it's pure. I am with the view that it is najis because of the hadith:

"O Messenger of Allah, we live in the vicinity of the People of the Book, and they cook swine in their pots and drink alcoholic potion in their vessels." The Prophet replied: "If you found other pots and vessels use them to eat and drink in, and if not, then rinse out theirs with water, and eat and drink in them."
                  At first I was like well maybe the messenger (SAAWS) was referring to the pork but then I thought, well if only the pork is najis then why did he also mention that they drink alcohol in the vessels? So that is my reasoning.

As for external use, it's not completely haram (just my opinion, not a fatwa) especially when in need like sterilizing a wound and such but obviously it's better to avoid it when possible.

Allah swt knows best, I'm no scholar this is just an opinion. May Allah swt guide us ameen , it's just so hard to know these days.

Comment

Originally posted by ninety1daisies View Post
                    Eww public bar soaps even exist?

*cringe
                    I have a feeling the boy's bathrooms are way worse than ours (rumor has it at least) so I guess that's why public bathroom soap isn't something out of the question for me haha

Comment

The thing with alcohol is that there is a dispute among scholars regarding its purity. Some say it's najis others it's pure. I am with the view that it is najis because of the hadith:

At first I was like well maybe the messenger (SAAWS) was referring to the pork but then I thought, well if only the pork is najis then why did he also mention that they drink alcohol in the vessels? So that is my reasoning.

As for external use, it's not completely haram (just my opinion, not a fatwa) especially when in need like sterilizing a wound and such but obviously it's better to avoid it when possible.

Allah swt knows best, I'm no scholar this is just an opinion. May Allah swt guide us ameen , it's just so hard to know these days.
                      The alcohol used in soap is not drinking stuff.

Comment

I have a feeling the boy's bathrooms are way worse than ours (rumor has it at least) so I guess that's why public bathroom soap isn't something out of the question for me haha
                        Lolss

I don't like those air hand dryers though. They obviously minimize waste and save paper but not sure if it's more clean then using paper towels.

Comment

The alcohol used in soap is not drinking stuff.
                          The only alcohol I'm referring to (the najis) is the Ethyl Alcohol or Ethanol (that's how you can differentiate when buying stuff; also if it has the word "fragrance", most likely they are using alcohol as a solvent) Other biological alcohols (not literal alcohols but the functional groups that are named alcohol), I believe are tahir like sugar alcohol, benzyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, so on and so forth.

In sha' Allah I'm not misleading anyone, again this is purely just my opinion and me trying to be on the safe side and from what research I've been able to gather on Google.

Comment

Originally posted by ninety1daisies View Post
                            Lolss

I don't like those air hand dryers though. They obviously minimize waste and save paper but not sure if it's more clean then using paper towels.
                            It's mainly good for the environment, that's my justification for them cause I will admit they're annoying haha
                            Plus it's less work for the poor employees especially since some people would rather leave them on the sinks and all that

Comment

It's mainly good for the environment, that's my justification for them cause I will admit they're annoying haha
                              Plus it's less work for the poor employees especially since some people would rather leave them on the sinks and all that
                              Yeah I hear you. It gets a little troubling when you have to do wudu in public restroom though. I don't know if it's a good idea to attempt to dry your face under the hand drier.

Comment

Working...
                              X