Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attitudes towards dawah

Assalam'Alayum brothers and sisters,

I am part of a dawah group that frequently sets-up tables and give dawah to random people walking by. I enjoy it for the most part but I feel like some people in my group take it too far and don't accept a pluralistic society. Often I hear people critiquing other peoples beliefs and trying to convince others that their beliefs are wrong. A comment I often is "they just don't want to accept that the bible is wrong". I feel that at times it becomes an ego thing and the people are more interested in saying someone did a shahada through them because they managed to convince the other person that they are wrong. I'm also uncomfortable with a situation where I was invited over to a friends house for dinner and she invited people for dinner. The people she invited were Christian and the point of inviting them over was to talk to them about Islam and convince them that their views were wrong. I'm cool with educating people on Islam and discussing the differences in our beliefs but if anyone would have approached me in this manner I would have never converted to Islam. I don't think it's possible to even give someone something they are not looking for. My attitude towards dawah is educating people on what Islam is and not what the media portrays, and if they are looking for spiritual guidance then I'm happy to be a part of that.

I feel like people within this group want to see everyone as a Muslim which to me is just not realistic. Something else to note is that several people have taken their shahada at our dawah table- I would estimate around 70 - and only a few of these people have actually stayed in touch with us. What usually happens is that I text the individual a few days after and they never respond. I've addressed this to people in the group but they do not want to accept it and just say perhaps they will become more interested later.

Please share, inshaAllah. your attitude towards dawah and if you agree with the approach the da'ees I know have towards non-Muslims.

Re: Attitudes towards dawah

u'd proly have been more irritated if you found out that when Islam was expanding it gave 3 options to other empires.

1. accept Islam
    2. pay jizya
    3. go to war and if you lose then you become slaves

Comment

If you are not going to contribute towards an intelligent conversation, then please refrain from posting here.

Comment

:wswrwb:

I agree with their understanding. We're not perennialists; all other religions besides Islam are false.

But perhaps it is their methodology of dawah that is the problem? I don't really like the trigger-happy debate-debate-debate culture that some dawah groups have.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
          :wswrwb:

I agree with their understanding. We're not perennialists; all other religions besides Islam are false.

But perhaps it is their methodology of dawah that is the problem? I don't really like the trigger-happy debate-debate-debate culture that some dawah groups have.
          didn't Rasoolillah :saw: have Mubahalah as a form of Dawah were he'd travel to Najran to debate Christians?

This hadith has been narrated on the authority of Shu'ba with the same chain of transmitters. Amir b. Sa'd b. Abi Waqqas reported on the authority of his father that Muawiya b. Abi Sufyin appointed Sa'd as the Governor and said: "What prevents you from abusing Abu Turab (Hadrat 'Ali)?" Whereupon be said: "It is because of three things which I remember Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) having said about him that I would not abuse him, and even if I find one of those three things for me, it would be more dear to me than the red camel. I heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) say about 'Ali as he left behind him in one of his campaigns (that was Tabuk). Ali said to him: 'Allah's Messenger, you leave me behind along with women and children.' Thereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said to him: 'Aren't you satisfied with being unto me what Aaron was unto Moses, but with this exception that there is no prophet after me?' And I (also) heard him say on the Day of Khaibar: 'I would certainly give this standard to a person who loves Allah and his Messenger, and Allah and his Messenger love him, too.' He (the narrator) said: 'We had been anxiously waiting for it, when he (the Holy Prophet) said: Call 'Ali. He was called and his eyes were inflamed. He applied saliva to his eyes and handed over the standard to him, and Allah gave him victory.' (The third occasion is this) when the (following) verse was revealed: 'Let us summon our children and your children.' Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) called 'Ali, Fatima, Hasan and Husain and said: 'O Allah, they are my family.'" −Sahih Muslim, 31:5915

Comment

funny how western muzzies get angry when history is shown to them , well u can call it intelligent conversation as you put it , nothing intelligent when you neglect Islamic history itself.

and how can one get agitated about claiming Islam is the right religion? ... u'd all get angry if someone started saying 1 + 1 = 7
            Last edited by noobz; 25-07-16, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
              funny how western muzzies get angry when history is shown to them , well u can call it intelligent conversation as you put it , nothing intelligent when you neglect Islamic history itself.

and how can one get agitated about claiming Islam is the right religion? ... u'd all get angry if someone started saying 1 + 1 = 7
              Whatever this "Islamic history" you talk of is not more important than belief in Allah. For how long did Rasululah :saw: teach the Sahaba about Tawheed first and foremost?

You people dont want people to become Muslims the way you talk. You want to make Islam so unappealing to them and full of hatred. I can never understand this. Maybe it's just because you live in Pakistan and don't have the wisdom to understand how Westerners think. I suppose that is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by peras1 View Post
                Whatever this "Islamic history" you talk of is not more important than belief in Allah. For how long did Rasululah :saw: teach the Sahaba about Tawheed first and foremost?

You people dont want people to become Muslims the way you talk. You want to make Islam so unappealing to them and full of hatred. I can never understand this. Maybe it's just because you live in Pakistan and don't have the wisdom to understand how Westerners think. I suppose that is the case.
                the wisdom here is that sugar coating is the reason why people accept and then leave Islam.

you don't want to tell them the sharia punishments for sodomy , Islamic history of how Islam was spread , slavery etc ,etc , and then when they find out , it breaks their glass house and they leave almost instantly and start uploading yt videos about how horrible Islam is.

for how long did Muhammad(sws) and the sahaba teach the persians and romans tawheed first? .... hmmmmm .... lets see ....

yes 'people' like me want people to know full well what Islam is and how it is without sugar coating the message and trapping a bunny and then unloading on them telling them the punishments for sodomy and such after they convert.

its quite stupid that since its become a norm that these things are accepted , one should tell them openly this is what Islams stance is on these issues such as sodomy and such before they accept Islam, Muhammad(sws) didn't sugar coat his msg and hide that other gods were allowed in Islam or keep quiet about it , since polytheism was the norm , Muhammad(sws) openly told them there was only Allah(swt). Yes us 'people' trying to scare people from Islam by saying it like it is.

and just to let you know , Muhammad(sws) openly said all other religions other than Islam are false , i don't know what the issue is here , when ur trying to convince someone , ur basically making the argument their religion is false.

maybe its cause you live in the west and don't understand the concept of coming clean and not hiding stuff.

and do tell me , was Muhammad(sws) also part of those people you speak of that didn't want Islam to spread when he openly said to the kuffar that all their gods were false? ... thats quite straightforward.
                Last edited by noobz; 25-07-16, 07:38 AM.

Comment

This sounds like a very typical anti-Islamic argument and I'm doubtful the poster is even a Muslim. There are people who learn Islam from a single angle and twist and tie it's history to suit their agenda. They think they are doing the world a favor by vilifying a religion and it's billions of followers. BTW my post was could have been about Christian missionaries if this was a Christian forum as no one is more aggressive about converting people to Christianity than Christians.

Comment

salaams to all

if we want ppl to listen to us, we have to speak politely & treat them with respect
                    even if WE are right & they are wrong.

its easy for us as muslims to talk about Islamic history & other things but how can u ever expect a non muslim, who knows very little about Islam-most of it incorrect or lies, to want to listen to us?
                    forget them even accepting our words/dawah.

we say Islam was not spread by the sword but through the akhlaaq of the Sahaba Rad & then we are aggressive/confrontational and even rude to non muslims.
                    does that make sense?

just imagine,
                    for many of them, their first experience with a muslim giving dawah, is an unpleasant affair
                    how do we ever expect them to be attracted to or interested in islam after this?

ive heard senior ulama say that we should win over the person & NOT the argument
                    bcos u may have won the argument but lost the person

if u happen to lose the argument but win over the person, then u have achieved your REAL goal/aim.

It does not mean we must compromise our deen but speak the truth in a polite way.

and,
                    whoever spends a lot of time giving dawah, they should be practical muslims first.

if our hairstyles & clothing are just like the kuffaar & our actions are no better than theirs, how can our dawah be effective?
                    there will be no power behind your words bcos u are NOT really practicing what u preach.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
                    jazakallah
                    Sufyaan Thawri "Whoever is very popular with his relations and neighbours, we suspect him to be compromising in preaching the true teachings of religion."
                    very good site for English bayaans in MP3 format-check it out- u wont be disappointed: http://www.musjidnoor.za.net/index.html & http://alhaadi.org.za/majlis-program...downloads.html

Comment

Originally posted by NYC_Hijab View Post
                      This sounds like a very typical anti-Islamic argument and I'm doubtful the poster is even a Muslim. There are people who learn Islam from a single angle and twist and tie it's history to suit their agenda. They think they are doing the world a favor by vilifying a religion and it's billions of followers. BTW my post was could have been about Christian missionaries if this was a Christian forum as no one is more aggressive about converting people to Christianity than Christians.
                      the best logical argument that could have been made in the 'intelligent' thread.

so basically shoot the messenger instead of the message.

so much intelligence flowing in the reply.

Comment

Now i see someone who is kinder towards a non-Muslim than they are towards their own brother/sister. This is another issue within our community.

Comment

Maybe ur group could get in contact with iERA and they could help u guys with dawah techniques. ??

Comment

We already work with them and several other teachers. The daees we work with our great - get the point of across and inspire people to think about Islam.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC_Hijab View Post
                              Now i see someone who is kinder towards a non-Muslim than they are towards their own brother/sister. This is another issue within our community.
                              salaams to all

is that comment directed towards me/my post?

and Allah ta'ala knows best
                              jazakallah
                              Sufyaan Thawri "Whoever is very popular with his relations and neighbours, we suspect him to be compromising in preaching the true teachings of religion."
                              very good site for English bayaans in MP3 format-check it out- u wont be disappointed: http://www.musjidnoor.za.net/index.html & http://alhaadi.org.za/majlis-program...downloads.html

Comment

Working...
                              X