a) chemistry bachelor's
    b) chemistry master's degree
    c) biochemistry bachelor's or master's
    d) international affairs
    e) public policy
    f) chemical engineering
    g) economics
    sorry but people must have misunderstood what my "major dropbox" thread was
    Last edited by Striving for Janna; 23-06-16, 04:07 AM.

Re: Are these good college degrees?

Economically I think all of the above are good except for international affairs perhaps. Morally public policy might be bad if it is something like being a lawyer and includes lying, then international affairs could be bad too if the sortiment of jobs include such things as lying. Economics doesn't necessarily mean immorality, not all is ribaa, but a close relative of mine who is an economist earns almost 2x what I earn(I'm a software engineer, albeit junior developer still) working in a bank, when I remind her that she should find a job without haram traits she says she can't find a job without them, but then again she puts no effort into that because she's a weird muslim - not completely liberal, but more like rejecting Islam when it doesn't suit her, and using it when it suits her, self-worshiper is the right word I guess.
    Say what somebody can do instead of the haram if you want to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Striving for Janna View Post
      a) chemistry bachelor's
      d) international affairs
      e) public policy
      f) chemical engineering
      g) economics
      a) Yes
      b) Yes, definitely
      c) Yes
      d) meh. you'll need really good grades and you'll have to go into graduate school if you want to land a job
      e) no
      f) Hell yes
      g) Yes, but you could be traversing into potentially haram territory

Comment

Out of that list chemical engineering and economics seem to be the best in the sense leading to jobs. Personal opinion btw.
        Last edited by Khalid b. Walid; 23-06-16, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Lol what constitutes a good college degree? Are you interested in any of those subjects?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
            a) Yes
            b) Yes, definitely
            c) Yes
            d) meh. you'll need really good grades and you'll have to go into graduate school if you want to land a job
            e) no
            f) Hell yes
            jazakallaha khair brother.....also, what about biology?
            Last edited by Striving for Janna; 23-06-16, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Are these good college degrees?

^Exactly! What will you do with these degrees is the real question?

With the Chemistry degree will you go work for big pharma? Chemical eng will you work for oil companies?

Figure out a career or job that you like and work to do what it takes to get it and don't waste time doing degrees without an end in mind.
              ‘If only I had done such-and-such, then such-and-such would have happened.’ Rather you should say, ‘Qaddara Allah wa ma sha a fa’ala (Allah decrees, and what He wills He does),’ for (the words) ‘If only’ open the door to the Shaytan.” (Narrated by Muslim).

Comment

a) chemistry bachelor's
                d) international affairs
                e) public policy
                f) chemical engineering
                g) economics
                a) Yes
                b) Yes, definitely
                c) Yes
                e) no
                f) Hell yes
                Brother, can I just ask what degree you're doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Faith reloaded View Post
                  right now I'm thinking either environmental engineering, biochemistry, biology, or chemistry....something science or engineering related....

Comment

Biology is good but I find that it's a major that is over-congested nowadays. You need to work hard and get good grades if you want to be competitive.

Computer Science

Comment

Biology is good but I find that it's a major that is over-congested nowadays. You need to work hard and get good grades if you want to be competitive.

Computer Science
                      Nice

Comment

right now I'm thinking either environmental engineering, biochemistry, biology, or chemistry....something science or engineering related....
                        Tbh, i wouldnt be too keen on biology. Stick with chemistry/engineering as these will most likely land you jobs once you graduate.

Out of the list, probably chemical engineering is the best.

Comment

a) chemistry bachelor's
                          d) international affairs
                          e) public policy
                          f) chemical engineering
                          g) economics
                          All of these aside, what do YOU REALLY want to do? What do you really like? What is your hobby? Don't just get a degree because "people say I need it." Trust me, you don't. At the end, all that matters is your love for your job. You don't want to hate waking up every day to do a job someone else recommended, do you??

Comment

Originally posted by Strength MM View Post
                            All of these aside, what do YOU REALLY want to do? What do you really like? What is your hobby? Don't just get a degree because "people say I need it." Trust me, you don't. At the end, all that matters is your love for your job. You don't want to hate waking up every day to do a job someone else recommended, do you??
                            well, I really want to do Biology, but I know it's a useless degree......my brother in law got a job after 6 months of unemployment after getting his biology bachelor's (although, granted he was getting married during that time) and he only makes 30,000 dollars a year....
                            I also like environmental science, and would love to advocate for environmentalism....but I'm not THAT fascinated by it...I also love economics, history, sociology, philosophy, and political science.....

Comment

Masha ' Allah yeah, science and math are always good options for employment
                              just don't do philosophy, like I did for a year. riba and no career prospects
                              look out for scholarships too.
                              And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
                              [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Working...
                              X