Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a failure at learning Arabic!! T-T

:salams:

My dad has been pushing me to learn Arabic for forever. He is not very good at it though so he can't teach me well. He's taught me a few things though. I'm mostly self taught at this point. On a level of 1-10, 1 being completely illiterate and 10 being an avid speaker, I'd say I'm a 3.

Through the last maybe 4 or 5 years, I've been studying on and off, but even the times where I was diligent and trying very hard and still I can't speak a lick of Arabic. I know most of the grammar rules and I can understand somewhat, but I can't speak. I think a large part may be because I am terrible in memory and my memorization of Qur'an is also not good.

I have tried many different books and even some online "classes" and I still fail. Let me put this out there that I was homeschooled for high school and I had troubles with focus and the whole "teach yourself" aspect. One of my local masjid's have an Arabic class but it's terrible. Their methods really suck and I don't know anyone there who can actually speak Arabic except the teacher, even though it's been a few years with the teacher (maybe not same students though).

My sister has Rosetta Stone. I did the first lesson and I liked it, but again, remembering the vocabulary is very hard for me. Rosetta Stone's lessons are very brief. I know all that they teach which seems to be grammar mostly, but I haven't moved on from lesson one because I still don't have the vocabulary. Has anyone here done Rosetta Stone?

It seems the only way that really works is going to an Arab country and being around Arabic.

I know Arabic is important but I lose motivation a lot as well. It has just been a very stressful journey for me trying to learn Arabic and unfortunately, there are no shortcuts. I am just very stressed and unmotivated especially after failing so much.
    If Allah & his Messenger :saw: ordered us to breathe in a certain way, we would say: "سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا We hear & We obey"
    “Whoever turns away from my Sunnah has nothing to do with me.” (al-Bukhaari)

Re: I'm a failure at learning Arabic!! T-T

If memorising vocabulary is difficult, look into "Ankisrs". It's a (free) space repetition flashcard software that is particularly good for learning vocabulary. You can make your own flashcards or you can download them online. You can memorise vocabulary a lot more efficiently with it.

It's difficult to explain exactly how it works. This video explains it better than me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP2QewIDMiA

EDIT (actually this is probably a better explanation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlJpHWg29PY)
    Last edited by Akhūka; 22-06-16, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I'm a failure at learning Arabic!! T-T

There's a great app for arabic vocabulary called memrise ishallah that'd help. Also go back to the basics write, check, cover, write, check, cover so that you may rememeber your vocabulary
      [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][B][U][CENTER]Oh Allah, in your name, I die and live.[/CENTER][/U][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
      [CENTER]:):lailah::lailah::lailah::lailah::)[/CENTER]

[B][CENTER]Ya Allah, Grant Me A Heart That Sees[/CENTER][/B]

Comment

جزاك الله خير

Android apps should help as it will be easier to be consistent. Consistency is definitely an issue for me.

شكرا إلى مساعدتك
        If Allah & his Messenger :saw: ordered us to breathe in a certain way, we would say: "سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا We hear & We obey"

Comment

Originally posted by Bint Radical View Post

My dad has been pushing me to learn Arabic for forever. He is not very good at it though so he can't teach me well. He's taught me a few things though. I'm mostly self taught at this point. On a level of 1-10, 1 being completely illiterate and 10 being an avid speaker, I'd say I'm a 3.

Through the last maybe 4 or 5 years, I've been studying on and off, but even the times where I was diligent and trying very hard and still I can't speak a lick of Arabic. I know most of the grammar rules and I can understand somewhat, but I can't speak. I think a large part may be because I am terrible in memory and my memorization of Qur'an is also not good.

I have tried many different books and even some online "classes" and I still fail. Let me put this out there that I was homeschooled for high school and I had troubles with focus and the whole "teach yourself" aspect. One of my local masjid's have an Arabic class but it's terrible. Their methods really suck and I don't know anyone there who can actually speak Arabic except the teacher, even though it's been a few years with the teacher (maybe not same students though).

My sister has Rosetta Stone. I did the first lesson and I liked it, but again, remembering the vocabulary is very hard for me. Rosetta Stone's lessons are very brief. I know all that they teach which seems to be grammar mostly, but I haven't moved on from lesson one because I still don't have the vocabulary. Has anyone here done Rosetta Stone?

It seems the only way that really works is going to an Arab country and being around Arabic.

I know Arabic is important but I lose motivation a lot as well. It has just been a very stressful journey for me trying to learn Arabic and unfortunately, there are no shortcuts. I am just very stressed and unmotivated especially after failing so much.
          و عليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته

Have you joined any courses to learn arabic?

Comment

Speaking is learned through speaking. You can almost never learn to 'speak' a language through books and pens, you need to get out there and speak the language. At most you'd achieve a level of 'book' Arabic if you just stick to books and self study.

And this is true for pretty much every language.

For learning vocabulary use something like Anki.
            You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
              Speaking is learned through speaking. You can almost never learn to 'speak' a language through books and pens, you need to get out there and speak the language. At most you'd achieve a level of 'book' Arabic if you just stick to books and self study.

And this is true for pretty much every language.

For learning vocabulary use something like Anki.
              So it seems... علمني طرقك

Comment

Originally posted by studentofknowledge View Post
                و عليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته

Have you joined any courses to learn arabic?
                ليس الصف الرسمية

Comment

If you already know grammar and vocabulary then you just need to talk more, there's no shortcut available. Perhaps you could check if the masjid could organize a book club for intermediate-advanced learners.

Comment

Good idea. My local masjid doesn't have these sort of things so I will have to check the one further out. It is also a children's madrasa

Comment

[MENTION=113419]Bint Radical[/MENTION]

Your Arabic is pretty decent from what I can see masha'Allah.

What have you studied so far (if u don't mind me asking).

Would you like to focus on a certain discipline like nahw or sarf or learn it comprehensively?

كما قيل الأفضل لك أن تمارس بطريق التعبير و التكلم و هذا بنسب التكلم. أما لعلم القواعد فلا بد أن تدرس الكت/المتون

Comment

Originally posted by Deeni Akh View Post
                        [MENTION=113419]Bint Radical[/MENTION]

Your Arabic is pretty decent from what I can see masha'Allah.

What have you studied so far (if u don't mind me asking).

Would you like to focus on a certain discipline like nahw or sarf or learn it comprehensively?

كما قيل الأفضل لك أن تمارس بطريق التعبير و التكلم و هذا بنسب التكلم. أما لعلم القواعد فلا بد أن تدرس الكت/المتون
                        I've only studied super basics. I know a little about sentence structure but I'm kind of just picking up on that as I go along. Verbs have been hard for me but I'm getting the gist of it.

I'm thinking of going back to Rosetta Stone...yeah I just know super basics lol. Someone else mentioned nahw and sarf. I haven't had a chance to search what that means

What were you saying there in arabic? It was hard to translate

Comment

I've only studied super basics. I know a little about sentence structure but I'm kind of just picking up on that as I go along. Verbs have been hard for me but I'm getting the gist of it.

I'm thinking of going back to Rosetta Stone...yeah I just know super basics lol. Someone else mentioned nahw and sarf. I haven't had a chance to search what that means

What were you saying there in arabic? It was hard to translate
                          Okay Alhamdulillah.

Then I would advise to start the madeenah book series. A good video explanation series can also be found online which is called lqtoronto. Many people have benefitted from this programme.

In the arabic I said it's best to practise speaking and conversing w someone to improve your speaking but if you want to learn the principles of the language, you have to hit the good old books and texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Deeni Akh View Post
                            Okay Alhamdulillah.

Then I would advise to start the madeenah book series. A good video explanation series can also be found online which is called lqtoronto. Many people have benefitted from this programme.

In the arabic I said it's best to practise speaking and conversing w someone to improve your speaking but if you want to learn the principles of the language, you have to hit the good old books and texts.
                            Video explinations????? Why didnt i know this beforeeeee
                            Sigh

Yea speaking works best and watching arabic tv if you have arabic channels and children shows are the best, unfort i dont have any lol
                            يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

"Everyone must choose one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." -Jim Rohn

And Allah wastes not the reward of the muhsinun.

Comment

Working...
                              X