Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I stop fasting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should I stop fasting?

    as-salamu alaykum brothers and sisters, I have a question I am hoping to get some help on.

    Well I have been doing Ramadan, (My first Ramadan!) and it has been very well. But I have a question regarding if I should stop fasting...
    I went to my doctor for a check up, and she said she was worried about my weight because I am very underweight. I am healthy, but I only weigh 90 lbs. (That was the day I went) I told her that I will make sure I eat more at Iftar, and she said I probably shouldn't fast due to my fast metabolism and I have a hard time gaining weight. I have never been 100lbs in my life. My doctor is a Muslim, by the way.

    Anyway, I weigh myself today, and I have now lost 5lbs despite eating alot. So would I sin if I stopped fasting due to losing so much weight, or should I continue to fast? Your answers are appreciated!

  • #2
    Re: Should I stop fasting?

    Originally posted by muslimahhijabi View Post
    as-salamu alaykum brothers and sisters, I have a question I am hoping to get some help on.

    Well I have been doing Ramadan, (My first Ramadan!) and it has been very well. But I have a question regarding if I should stop fasting...
    I went to my doctor for a check up, and she said she was worried about my weight because I am very underweight. I am healthy, but I only weigh 90 lbs. (That was the day I went) I told her that I will make sure I eat more at Iftar, and she said I probably shouldn't fast due to my fast metabolism and I have a hard time gaining weight. I have never been 100lbs in my life. My doctor is a Muslim, by the way.

    Anyway, I weigh myself today, and I have now lost 5lbs despite eating alot. So would I sin if I stopped fasting due to losing so much weight, or should I continue to fast? Your answers are appreciated!
    everybody i meet says im underweight and i think i am. Doesn't really matter to me.

    Usually i would say go with the doctors orders.....but fasting is mandatory. Uh, do you feel sick or weak due to fasting?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Should I stop fasting?

      Originally posted by Spicen View Post
      everybody i meet says im underweight and i think i am. Doesn't really matter to me.

      Usually i would say go with the doctors orders.....but fasting is mandatory. Uh, do you feel sick or weak due to fasting?
      I did feel sick yesterday, very little dizziness but I have not had that at all until yesterday. That is why I am so confused because I feel just fine right now as I am fasting.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Should I stop fasting?

        Originally posted by muslimahhijabi View Post
        I did feel sick yesterday, very little dizziness but I have not had that at all until yesterday. That is why I am so confused because I feel just fine right now as I am fasting.
        this is such a sensitive topic, so im not going to pass a personal 'advice' or comment. Im looking for fatwas, i will inform you when i find something.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Should I stop fasting?

          Originally posted by muslimahhijabi View Post
          I did feel sick yesterday, very little dizziness but I have not had that at all until yesterday. That is why I am so confused because I feel just fine right now as I am fasting.
          found it
          https://islamqa.info/en/142274

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Should I stop fasting?

            Originally posted by Spicen View Post
            this is such a sensitive topic, so im not going to pass a personal 'advice' or comment. Im looking for fatwas, i will inform you when i find something.
            JZK Brother.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Should I stop fasting?

              Sister if loosing your weight is not too detrimental to your health then you should keep fasting

              not sure how much 90lbs is for a girl and whether you are in any danger; you will know best or the doctor

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Should I stop fasting?

                How tall are you?

                (random question I know, but you need your height to work out your BMI, because weight on it's own doesn't mean anything)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Should I stop fasting?

                  Originally posted by Akhūka View Post
                  How tall are you?

                  (random question I know, but you need your height to work out your BMI, because weight on it's own doesn't mean anything)
                  I am 28 years old. I am exactly 5ft. and I now weigh 85lbs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Should I stop fasting?

                    Originally posted by muslimahhijabi View Post
                    I am 28 years old. I am exactly 5ft. and I now weigh 85lbs.
                    85.54 is the minimum you should be.. Whether you should fast or not.....I really can't answer that for you....How are you feeling?
                    Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Should I stop fasting?

                      90lbs is pretty low, one's BMI(Body-Mass Index, ratio of weight relative to height) depends on one's height, weight and gender.
                      A BMI of 18.5 or less is considered underweight. Which means for 90 lbs, from 4'11 ft approximately or higher makes one's BMI 18.5 or lower.

                      Competitive eaters tend to expand their stomachs for over 1-2 weeks prior to a competition by eating a lot of watermelon, drinking a lot of water, to keep it expanded so that it will get used to the volume and not burst when they eat. This isn't very healthy obviously, not in the way they do it, but for you to gain weight you'll have to(like you said) try and eat more, and to give yourself a little push you can try to eat watermelon each day or fill up with water to try and expand the stomach a little(don't go haywire, if you feel full or you feel like you ate too much but you can't feel it yet because you ate too fast or something and should stop - then stop, always better safe than sorry), then you have to pick certain foods which are calorically denser but not as filling(cheese, honey, red meat if you like it, nuts of all kinds, peanut butter obviously, chocolate of all kinds).
                      Now, a lot of people would be saying "eat lots of carbs(bread, pasta, rice, potatoes)" - I'd advise against that(at least in big measures, a little carbs is just fine), which sounds insane, but there's a very practical reason for it; it fills you up faster, whereas other foods with high caloric content you can eat lots more of it before you get full, and eating 200 grams of cheese is bigger contribution to weight gain than 100 grams of cheese and 100 of bread for instance.
                      A lot of people who change their diet to try and gain muscles or weight, tend to develop the habit to eat peanut butter off of a spoon. It's easy to develop that habit. Others too for that matter, it's easy to like nutella and honey and such, I'd just advise against developing too many such habits, because if you ever need to stop weight gain then you'd rather deal with one habit than 10.

                      Though firstly I think you'd have to check what your BMR(Base Metabolic Rate) is, I think your doctor could help you get a more accurate measure, since online calculators and tools don't take your body type into consideration.
                      Then make a list of things you love or even like to eat, you can find out their caloric rates for each 100 grams(I can show you some good sites for that), and that way you can pick the ones with higher calories, and make combinations or conclude which meals contain many of them. This doesn't mean that you will never eat low-calorie foods again, you can absolutely eat vegetables and fruit and such still, but you give the things on the narrowed-down list preference and make them the bulk of your meals. If you've had too much of them and don't feel like eating them more, then leave them be for a while and find another high-calorie food for the time being.

                      Another important thing: Set a goal weight so you know when to prepare to make changes in your diet again.



                      As for fasting; I don't have any ahadith beneath the palm of my hand to put it all right up now and prove it, so I'll just say what I do(and I do this based off of what I've read over the course of many, many, many years) :
                      If I find a sign/symptom(pain, irregular vertigo, something out of the usual) that something is changing in my body, but I was fine before that - I stop fasting to avoid harm.
                      If I find a small annoyance, I ignore it.

                      Everyone is welcome to tell me off with an ayah, hadith, fatwa etc..
                      Last edited by Thunderstorm; 20-06-16, 05:42 PM.
                      Say what somebody can do instead of the haram if you want to help.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Should I stop fasting?

                        Originally posted by Al-arabi View Post
                        Sister if loosing your weight is not too detrimental to your health then you should keep fasting

                        not sure how much 90lbs is for a girl and whether you are in any danger; you will know best or the doctor
                        90lbs for a girl is... 90lbs.

                        :)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Should I stop fasting?

                          Originally posted by shay5 View Post
                          85.54 is the minimum you should be.. Whether you should fast or not.....I really can't answer that for you....How are you feeling?
                          I am feeling fine right now. I have no headache, no dizziness, no pains. Just yesterday I was feeling sick but continued to fast. Thank you sister.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Should I stop fasting?

                            Originally posted by muslimahhijabi View Post
                            I am 28 years old. I am exactly 5ft. and I now weigh 85lbs.
                            Yea that's not even borderline, for your height the minimum healthy weight is 95lbs. Sometimes doctors can be overly cautious, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

                            I guess the difficult is that you for the most part feel fine, so maybe you aren't ill at all due to your low weight, but that weight could cause you to be unhealthy, especially in the long term. So it's not as simple as fasting is making you sick (like the questioner in that fatwa said that fasting makes him weak and pale etc).

                            I don't think anyone here can really tell you one way or another, but if I were you I'd ask here http://www.assimalhakeem.net/ask-a-question/ (as Sheikh Assim replies quickly, within a few days normally), and say what you mentioned but include that for the most part you feel fine when fasting but your weight may put you at risk for becoming sick.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Should I stop fasting?

                              Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                              90lbs is pretty low, one's BMI(Body-Mass Index, ratio of weight relative to height) depends on one's height, weight and gender.
                              A BMI of 18.5 or less is considered underweight. Which means for 90 lbs, from 4'11 ft approximately or higher makes one's BMI 18.5 or lower.

                              Competitive eaters tend to expand their stomachs for over 1-2 weeks prior to a competition by eating a lot of watermelon, drinking a lot of water, to keep it expanded so that it will get used to the volume and not burst when they eat. This isn't very healthy obviously, not in the way they do it, but for you to gain weight you'll have to(like you said) try and eat more, and to give yourself a little push you can try to eat watermelon each day or fill up with water to try and expand the stomach a little(don't go haywire, if you feel full or you feel like you ate too much but you can't feel it yet because you ate too fast or something and should stop - then stop, always better safe than sorry), then you have to pick certain foods which are calorically denser but not as filling(cheese, honey, red meat if you like it, nuts of all kinds, peanut butter obviously, chocolate of all kinds).
                              Now, a lot of people would be saying "eat lots of carbs(bread, pasta, rice, potatoes)" - I'd advise against that(at least in big measures, a little carbs is just fine), which sounds insane, but there's a very practical reason for it; it fills you up faster, whereas other foods with high caloric content you can eat lots more of it before you get full, and eating 200 grams of cheese is bigger contribution to weight gain than 100 grams of cheese and 100 of bread for instance.
                              A lot of people who change their diet to try and gain muscles or weight, tend to develop the habit to eat peanut butter off of a spoon. It's easy to develop that habit. Others too for that matter, it's easy to like nutella and honey and such, I'd just advise against developing too many such habits, because if you ever need to stop weight gain then you'd rather deal with one habit than 10.

                              Though firstly I think you'd have to check what your BMR(Base Metabolic Rate) is, I think your doctor could help you get a more accurate measure, since online calculators and tools don't take your body type into consideration.
                              Then make a list of things you love or even like to eat, you can find out their caloric rates for each 100 grams(I can show you some good sites for that), and that way you can pick the ones with higher calories, and make combinations or conclude which meals contain many of them. This doesn't mean that you will never eat low-calorie foods again, you can absolutely eat vegetables and fruit and such still, but you give the things on the narrowed-down list preference and make them the bulk of your meals. If you've had too much of them and don't feel like eating them more, then leave them be for a while and find another high-calorie food for the time being.

                              Another important thing: Set a goal weight so you know when to prepare to make changes in your diet again.



                              As for fasting; I don't have any ahadith beneath the palm of my hand to put it all right up now and prove it, so I'll just say what I do(and I do this based off of what I've read over the course of many, many, many years) :
                              If I find a sign/symptom(pain, irregular vertigo, something out of the usual) that something is changing in my body, but I was fine before that - I stop fasting to avoid harm.
                              If I find a small annoyance, I ignore it.

                              Everyone is welcome to tell me off with an ayah, hadith, fatwa etc..
                              First I would like to thank you for the helpful information brother. ;)

                              I think I will take the advice on the eating habits and some of the food categories you suggested. Maybe I can gain weight while in Ramadan and not have to stop fasting. Insha'Allah I will gain weight I do not want to lose anymore. I will look ill if I loose too much. The lowest I have ever been is 75lbs and that was due to a very bad stomach flu.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X