X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic.
    replied
    Re: Not returning Salams

As the Muslim girl behind the counter in the shop I go to every week, i don't want something to spark, so no I never pass Salaams to her.

That's my excuse, I buy my stuff and haven't really spoken to her in all the years Ive known her.

Leave a comment:

• Abu Jarir
    replied

If I know the person is shia I dont return Salams it kind of bothers me when Kufar tell me Salam but i say "Walaykum" like the Sunnah.

Leave a comment:

• iRepIslam
    replied
    Not returning Salams

Alhamdulilah I'm glad I go to a uni where everyone salams everyone..

:)

Leave a comment:

• ibzy
    replied

This is new to me. We use to respond to whoever gave us Salam in college and just carried on like normal.

Leave a comment:

• Rumaysah~
    replied

Originally posted by Yasirah87 View Post
    What does a Muslim look like? There are 1.8 billion of us and we don't all look the same. Some reverts are still "closeted" meaning they fear their family, family, and community will disown them and they'll be alone. When they reach out for salams and you ignore them because of how they look, they don't feel very welcomed. I read a story that said 7/10 reverts leave Islam within the first five years. I find this sad. This year marks me being Muslim for five years. When my "anniversary" hit, I remember thinking back to that story and thinking, "Alhumdulillah, I made it. I wasn't a statistic."

Some people might say it thinking they are funny, but when you ignore a Muslim it's very hurtful. It's hurtful when you wear full niqab, make eyecontact, say salam alaykum, and she just walks right by.

Here are some links, I just googled and here's what came up.
    Imam Luqman Ahmad
    Islam21c
    by looking muslim i mean having something on you which shows you are muslim. A hijab or beard or whatever.
    I can't know who is hiding their islam or not, if i know a revert is hiding her islam then obviously i would return the salams properly, otherwise i will return some other greeting.
    I don't think muslims born into islam even feel welcomed among each other, people still don't return greetings sometimes and treat us coldly.

yes i know how it feels when you are dressed as a muslim, give salams and they just ignore you. Now it doesn't bother me, neither does the tension i feel in certain masjids.
    I think some people have strange ideas about niqabis tbh, they seem a bit intimidated maybe that's why they don't return it.

Leave a comment:

• aynina
    replied

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
    This is good, spill the beans sisters we brothers need to understand how sisters think. I mean obviously I don't but others do.
    Lool i think thats the reason we fight so much more then men do

Leave a comment:

• zi-zizou
    replied

Originally posted by aynina View Post
    Loool idk i think its instinct, we automatically see another woman as a threat or something, competition maybe :rotfl: i always give salam when i see a hijabi but some just give u an angry look or yurn their heads :(
    This is good, spill the beans sisters we brothers need to understand how sisters think. I mean obviously I don't but others do.

Leave a comment:

• aynina
    replied

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
    It's already been explained...sisters brains work slower

Proly daydreaming about hubby (the real one or imaginary...proly imaginary).
    Loool idk i think its instinct, we automatically see another woman as a threat or something, competition maybe :rotfl: i always give salam when i see a hijabi but some just give u an angry look or yurn their heads :(

Leave a comment:

• zi-zizou
    replied

Originally posted by aynina View Post
    Oohh subhanAllah thats not right :(
    It's already been explained...sisters brains work slower

Proly daydreaming about hubby (the real one or imaginary...proly imaginary).

Leave a comment:

• aynina
    replied

No, I am saying more brothers recognize me than sisters do.
    Oohh subhanAllah thats not right :(

Leave a comment:

• Yasirah87
    replied

Originally posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
    It's probably because you didn't look muslim

I don't return salams to people who don't look like muslims. I might say hi or i might just walk past. It's important to look like a muslim otherwise you can't blame people.
    started doing this after a few times i ran into idiots who would give salams only to mock it afterwards right in front of me so i decided not to take chances.
    What does a Muslim look like? There are 1.8 billion of us and we don't all look the same. Some reverts are still "closeted" meaning they fear their family, family, and community will disown them and they'll be alone. When they reach out for salams and you ignore them because of how they look, they don't feel very welcomed. I read a story that said 7/10 reverts leave Islam within the first five years. I find this sad. This year marks me being Muslim for five years. When my "anniversary" hit, I remember thinking back to that story and thinking, "Alhumdulillah, I made it. I wasn't a statistic."

Some people might say it thinking they are funny, but when you ignore a Muslim it's very hurtful. It's hurtful when you wear full niqab, make eyecontact, say salam alaykum, and she just walks right by.

Here are some links, I just googled and here's what came up.
    Imam Luqman Ahmad
    Islam21c

Leave a comment:

• Rumaysah~
    replied

No, I am saying more brothers recognize me than sisters do.
    :rotfl: strange
    i don't usually reply back to brothers who are passing by, unless it's a situation where a conversation needs to take place

Leave a comment:

• Rumaysah~
    replied

It's probably because you didn't look muslim

I don't return salams to people who don't look like muslims. I might say hi or i might just walk past. It's important to look like a muslim otherwise you can't blame people.
    started doing this after a few times i ran into idiots who would give salams only to mock it afterwards right in front of me so i decided not to take chances.
    Last edited by Rumaysah~; 21-06-16, 06:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Muslim First
    replied

Truly a shame.
    It's funny because these people know my mom. And they know we're Somali, so I don't get it tbh lol what else could I be!?

Leave a comment:

• Yasirah87
    replied

Originally posted by Muslim First View Post
    I barely get any salams back. And I always get the "I didn't know you were Muslim" line.. lol.
    Truly a shame.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X