X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslim First
    replied
    Re: Not returning Salams

I barely get any salams back. And I always get the "I didn't know you were Muslim" line.. lol.

Leave a comment:

• Yasirah87
    replied

Originally posted by aynina View Post
    If youre talking about brothers sis they probably dont give salam because they dont want to talk to girls
    No, I am saying more brothers recognize me than sisters do.

Leave a comment:

• aynina
    replied

Originally posted by Yasirah87 View Post
    I wear niqab now. No doubt I'm a Muslim if you look.

I wonder how brothers feel who aren't Arab or South Asian. Like redheaded Americans... I only wonder cause for them I'm sure it's a catch 22. With their beards they look like hipsters, without their beards they still don't look Muslim, so if they give Salams, some probably blow them off, too.

In public, it's usually brothers who I hear give salams.

I'm trying to think back and hope I haven't done the same thing to others.
    If youre talking about brothers sis they probably dont give salam because they dont want to talk to girls

Leave a comment:

• Yasirah87
    replied

Originally posted by aynina View Post
    Me tooo when i wasnt a hijabi and I'd say assalamu alweikumm ppl were like wa aleiykum.
    And i was so insulted lool

But they dont give salam to kuffar so thats why sis they arent sure if ur muslim if y dont wear hijab
    I wear niqab now. No doubt I'm a Muslim if you look.

I wonder how brothers feel who aren't Arab or South Asian. Like redheaded Americans... I only wonder cause for them I'm sure it's a catch 22. With their beards they look like hipsters, without their beards they still don't look Muslim, so if they give Salams, some probably blow them off, too.

In public, it's usually brothers who I hear give salams.

I'm trying to think back and hope I haven't done the same thing to others.

Leave a comment:

• Ibn Taleb
    replied

:wswrwb:

Leave a comment:

• aynina
    replied

Me tooo when i wasnt a hijabi and I'd say assalamu alweikumm ppl were like wa aleiykum.
    And i was so insulted lool

But they dont give salam to kuffar so thats why sis they arent sure if ur muslim if y dont wear hijab

Leave a comment:

• Miss Foxxy
    replied

Originally posted by Yasirah87 View Post
    Assalamu alaykum,

Before I wore hijab or niqab, when I'd give my salams and be completely blown off.

Can I ask why people ignore those who give them a fard greeting? I can understand not knowing if someone is a Muslim doing it or if they are a non Muslim, but acknowledge that person has taken time out of their day to greet you.

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said that the Prophet (SAW) said: “The Muslim has five rights over his fellow-Muslim: he should return his salaams, visit him when he is sick, attend his funeral, accept his invitation, and pray for mercy for him when he sneezes”(Bukhari 1240)

Al-Bukhaari (12, 28 and 6236), Muslim (39), Ahmad (2/169), Abu Dawood (5494), al-Nisaa’i, (8/107) and Ibn Hibbaan (505) narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar that a man asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “What is the best thing in Islam?” He said, “Feeding others and giving the greeting of salaam to those whom you know and those whom you do not know."

After speaking to several other reverts, they said they have had the same experience when they were not in hijab. As if they were disregarded as kufr just being polite.

Even if a non-Muslim does greet you, you're suppose to say, "and onto you."
    “When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally.” [al-Nisa’ 4:86]

Can someone give me a logical reason for not returning it?
    :aku_wsalam:

Happens to me too, but I continue giving salaam to those that I know as well as those that I do not know....

The greeting is deemed by many scholars to be wajib or sunnat ul mu'aqada whilst the reply is obligatory. So one is sinful for not giving salam. However when we make the intention to give greetings of salam we refer to 3; the person we meet, and the 2 angels. We have the intention of the dua'a which is multiple depending on the length of our salam and the degree to which we extend it. No matter whether our salam is given a reply by the person, the angels answer....

Keep spreading salaam

Leave a comment:

• Ria
    replied

Exactly what lavender said
    Im usually lost in my thoughts, so when people say salaam to me, i sometimes dont reply back cause they have walked past

it hasn't registered in my brain yet

Leave a comment:

• Guy177
    replied

Salaams

Are you talking about sister to sister salaams or sister to brother salaams?

Leave a comment:

• Lavender
    replied

:salams

I think maybe it just takes their brains a while to process the random salams because this used to happen to me before. I didn't want to be rude at all, just that if someone would walk past me say it to me randomly then I don't know why it would take me some time to respond and by the time I replied they wouldn't be able to hear it lol. Maybe my brain is just really slow.

Leave a comment:

• Yasirah87
    started a topic Not returning Salams

Not returning Salams

Working...
X