Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not returning Salams

Assalamu alaykum,

Before I wore hijab or niqab, when I'd give my salams and be completely blown off.

Can I ask why people ignore those who give them a fard greeting? I can understand not knowing if someone is a Muslim doing it or if they are a non Muslim, but acknowledge that person has taken time out of their day to greet you.

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said that the Prophet (SAW) said: “The Muslim has five rights over his fellow-Muslim: he should return his salaams, visit him when he is sick, attend his funeral, accept his invitation, and pray for mercy for him when he sneezes”(Bukhari 1240)

Al-Bukhaari (12, 28 and 6236), Muslim (39), Ahmad (2/169), Abu Dawood (5494), al-Nisaa’i, (8/107) and Ibn Hibbaan (505) narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar that a man asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “What is the best thing in Islam?” He said, “Feeding others and giving the greeting of salaam to those whom you know and those whom you do not know."

After speaking to several other reverts, they said they have had the same experience when they were not in hijab. As if they were disregarded as kufr just being polite.

Even if a non-Muslim does greet you, you're suppose to say, "and onto you."
    “When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally.” [al-Nisa’ 4:86]

Can someone give me a logical reason for not returning it?
    لَمْ يَلِدْ وَلَمْ يُولَدْ
    سورة الإخلاص

Re: Not returning Salams

:salams

I think maybe it just takes their brains a while to process the random salams because this used to happen to me before. I didn't want to be rude at all, just that if someone would walk past me say it to me randomly then I don't know why it would take me some time to respond and by the time I replied they wouldn't be able to hear it lol. Maybe my brain is just really slow.
    "Let the days do as they please
    And be optimistic when destiny decrees
    Do not despair due to the events of the past
    For the events of this world were not meant to last"

- Imam Shafi'i

Comment

Salaams

Are you talking about sister to sister salaams or sister to brother salaams?

Comment

Exactly what lavender said
        Im usually lost in my thoughts, so when people say salaam to me, i sometimes dont reply back cause they have walked past

it hasn't registered in my brain yet
        Okay :)

Comment

Originally posted by Yasirah87 View Post
          Assalamu alaykum,

Before I wore hijab or niqab, when I'd give my salams and be completely blown off.

Can I ask why people ignore those who give them a fard greeting? I can understand not knowing if someone is a Muslim doing it or if they are a non Muslim, but acknowledge that person has taken time out of their day to greet you.

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said that the Prophet (SAW) said: “The Muslim has five rights over his fellow-Muslim: he should return his salaams, visit him when he is sick, attend his funeral, accept his invitation, and pray for mercy for him when he sneezes”(Bukhari 1240)

Al-Bukhaari (12, 28 and 6236), Muslim (39), Ahmad (2/169), Abu Dawood (5494), al-Nisaa’i, (8/107) and Ibn Hibbaan (505) narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar that a man asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “What is the best thing in Islam?” He said, “Feeding others and giving the greeting of salaam to those whom you know and those whom you do not know."

After speaking to several other reverts, they said they have had the same experience when they were not in hijab. As if they were disregarded as kufr just being polite.

Even if a non-Muslim does greet you, you're suppose to say, "and onto you."
          “When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally.” [al-Nisa’ 4:86]

Can someone give me a logical reason for not returning it?

Happens to me too, but I continue giving salaam to those that I know as well as those that I do not know....

The greeting is deemed by many scholars to be wajib or sunnat ul mu'aqada whilst the reply is obligatory. So one is sinful for not giving salam. However when we make the intention to give greetings of salam we refer to 3; the person we meet, and the 2 angels. We have the intention of the dua'a which is multiple depending on the length of our salam and the degree to which we extend it. No matter whether our salam is given a reply by the person, the angels answer....

Keep spreading salaam
          “Mu'min” is more that just a title. It is to have Imaan established in the heart and testified to by the limbs.

Comment

Me tooo when i wasnt a hijabi and I'd say assalamu alweikumm ppl were like wa aleiykum.
            And i was so insulted lool

But they dont give salam to kuffar so thats why sis they arent sure if ur muslim if y dont wear hijab
            يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

:wswrwb:
              The Prophet (saw) advised to: “Take benefit of five before five: Your youth before your old age, your health before your sickness, your wealth before your poverty, your free time before you are preoccupied, and your life before your death
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgE...kS-Qi3nf3tcvPw

Comment

Originally posted by aynina View Post
                Me tooo when i wasnt a hijabi and I'd say assalamu alweikumm ppl were like wa aleiykum.
                And i was so insulted lool

But they dont give salam to kuffar so thats why sis they arent sure if ur muslim if y dont wear hijab
                I wear niqab now. No doubt I'm a Muslim if you look.

I wonder how brothers feel who aren't Arab or South Asian. Like redheaded Americans... I only wonder cause for them I'm sure it's a catch 22. With their beards they look like hipsters, without their beards they still don't look Muslim, so if they give Salams, some probably blow them off, too.

In public, it's usually brothers who I hear give salams.

I'm trying to think back and hope I haven't done the same thing to others.
                سورة الإخلاص

Comment

I wear niqab now. No doubt I'm a Muslim if you look.

I wonder how brothers feel who aren't Arab or South Asian. Like redheaded Americans... I only wonder cause for them I'm sure it's a catch 22. With their beards they look like hipsters, without their beards they still don't look Muslim, so if they give Salams, some probably blow them off, too.

In public, it's usually brothers who I hear give salams.

I'm trying to think back and hope I haven't done the same thing to others.
                  If youre talking about brothers sis they probably dont give salam because they dont want to talk to girls
                  يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Originally posted by aynina View Post
                    If youre talking about brothers sis they probably dont give salam because they dont want to talk to girls
                    No, I am saying more brothers recognize me than sisters do.
                    سورة الإخلاص

Comment

I barely get any salams back. And I always get the "I didn't know you were Muslim" line.. lol.
                      "The organisation that is called as "the state" puts effort to destroy jihad in Sham as they destroyed it in Iraq because of their obvious transgressions against Quran and Sunnah." Abu Khalid as-Suri (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Originally posted by Muslim First View Post
                        I barely get any salams back. And I always get the "I didn't know you were Muslim" line.. lol.
                        Truly a shame.
                        سورة الإخلاص

Comment

Truly a shame.
                          It's funny because these people know my mom. And they know we're Somali, so I don't get it tbh lol what else could I be!?
                          "The organisation that is called as "the state" puts effort to destroy jihad in Sham as they destroyed it in Iraq because of their obvious transgressions against Quran and Sunnah." Abu Khalid as-Suri (Rahimahullah)

Comment

It's probably because you didn't look muslim

I don't return salams to people who don't look like muslims. I might say hi or i might just walk past. It's important to look like a muslim otherwise you can't blame people.
                            started doing this after a few times i ran into idiots who would give salams only to mock it afterwards right in front of me so i decided not to take chances.
                            Last edited by Rumaysah~; 21-06-16, 05:56 AM.
                            شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
                            فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
                            وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
                            ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Comment

No, I am saying more brothers recognize me than sisters do.
                              :rotfl: strange
                              i don't usually reply back to brothers who are passing by, unless it's a situation where a conversation needs to take place
                              شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
                              فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
                              وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
                              ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Comment

Working...
                              X