Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's it like working as a civil engineer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What's it like working as a civil engineer?

    And would it be hard for someone with autism? Because I have autism.......

  • #2
    Re: What's it like working as a civil engineer?

    Civil Engineering is a big field with many aspects, there'll be a role which can suit you better.. How does your autism affect you?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What's it like working as a civil engineer?

      You can decide whether you want to work on the contractors & construction side (out and about) or design and consultancy side (office based).

      With Autism I'd go for Design and Consultancy (get to work on your own a lot more with some social interaction) specialise in Structural or Geotechnical Eng.

      Like the above poster said Civil Eng is vast so you can if you try find something you'll like :insha:
      ‘If only I had done such-and-such, then such-and-such would have happened.’ Rather you should say, ‘Qaddara Allah wa ma sha a fa’ala (Allah decrees, and what He wills He does),’ for (the words) ‘If only’ open the door to the Shaytan.” (Narrated by Muslim).

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What's it like working as a civil engineer?

        Originally posted by Guy177 View Post
        Civil Engineering is a big field with many aspects, there'll be a role which can suit you better.. How does your autism affect you?
        Yes, the first thing is to know how autism affects you.

        Originally posted by Nafs al Tawabah View Post
        You can decide whether you want to work on the contractors & construction side (out and about) or design and consultancy side (office based).

        With Autism I'd go for Design and Consultancy (get to work on your own a lot more with some social interaction) specialise in Structural or Geotechnical Eng.

        Like the above poster said Civil Eng is vast so you can if you try find something you'll like :insha:
        Civil Engineering is vast, but teamwork is a crucial part of any subfield of civil engineering. Most projects, whether design or construction, are done as part of a team. As a designer/consultant you will be interacting with the people on your project team, interacting with the client in meetings, and perhaps even presenting to the general public for feedback. Of course, I'm sure that your employer can work around your issues by keeping you purely on the technical side of things and not sending you to external meetings, for example. This will possibly limit your ability to advance to senior positions, however. Small projects and tasks can be done with just 1 or 2 people, so maybe working for a small company would be good if you don't like too much social interaction.

        Getting into niche technical fields, such as water supply (hydraulic) modeling or other similar fields might help to keep you isolated from social interaction as well.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What's it like working as a civil engineer?

          Originally posted by abdulsidd View Post
          Yes, the first thing is to know how autism affects you.



          Civil Engineering is vast, but teamwork is a crucial part of any subfield of civil engineering. Most projects, whether design or construction, are done as part of a team. As a designer/consultant you will be interacting with the people on your project team, interacting with the client in meetings, and perhaps even presenting to the general public for feedback. Of course, I'm sure that your employer can work around your issues by keeping you purely on the technical side of things and not sending you to external meetings, for example. This will possibly limit your ability to advance to senior positions, however. Small projects and tasks can be done with just 1 or 2 people, so maybe working for a small company would be good if you don't like too much social interaction.

          Getting into niche technical fields, such as water supply (hydraulic) modeling or other similar fields might help to keep you isolated from social interaction as well.
          Absolutely true about team work..even as a technical specialist you'll still have to work with people on a daily.

          I wanted to mention Hydraulics and Fluid Mechanics (my favourite) but didn't..glad you did..they do tend to be very niche. I remember the Fire engineers used to be in a separate part of the building and were rarely seen
          ‘If only I had done such-and-such, then such-and-such would have happened.’ Rather you should say, ‘Qaddara Allah wa ma sha a fa’ala (Allah decrees, and what He wills He does),’ for (the words) ‘If only’ open the door to the Shaytan.” (Narrated by Muslim).

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What's it like working as a civil engineer?

            Originally posted by Nafs al Tawabah View Post
            Absolutely true about team work..even as a technical specialist you'll still have to work with people on a daily.

            I wanted to mention Hydraulics and Fluid Mechanics (my favourite) but didn't..glad you did..they do tend to be very niche. I remember the Fire engineers used to be in a separate part of the building and were rarely seen
            Yeah, I started off doing hydraulic modeling for a very small company, but it was too niche for that stage of my career. I didn't want to be pigeon-holed into one area so soon. Now I wouldn't mind going back to doing hydraulic modeling, but transportation engineering suits me well. There's more variety. As a transportation engineer, I'm able to work on drainage, geometrics, traffic, etc. Although it all eventually does get repetitive and tedious.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What's it like working as a civil engineer?

              Originally posted by abdulsidd View Post
              Yeah, I started off doing hydraulic modeling for a very small company, but it was too niche for that stage of my career. I didn't want to be pigeon-holed into one area so soon. Now I wouldn't mind going back to doing hydraulic modeling, but transportation engineering suits me well. There's more variety. As a transportation engineer, I'm able to work on drainage, geometrics, traffic, etc. Although it all eventually does get repetitive and tedious.
              It may not be as such for someone with Autism.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What's it like working as a civil engineer?

                Originally posted by Guy177 View Post
                It may not be as such for someone with Autism.
                That can be very true..I left the field for more people oriented role as I got tired of staring at screens for ages.
                ‘If only I had done such-and-such, then such-and-such would have happened.’ Rather you should say, ‘Qaddara Allah wa ma sha a fa’ala (Allah decrees, and what He wills He does),’ for (the words) ‘If only’ open the door to the Shaytan.” (Narrated by Muslim).

                Comment

                Working...
                X