My Islam does not get taken seriously by others

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Islam does not get taken seriously by others

I feel like my growth with my Islam is not getting taken seriously. I didmt used to be the best person and I wasn't particularly religious but this year I've tried my best and AlhamduAllah my faith is growing. Whenever I say something is haram to a fellow islamoc friemd they dismiss me because they think I'm not worth listening to because I wasn't always the best Muslim. When I tell my family I want to wear headscarf they dismiss me and think I am joking. I know my religion is between myself and Allah but sometimes I want to be encouraged and someone to say keep going. I don't know what todo here

Re: My Islam does not get taken seriously by others

I have two pieces of advice:

1.) Find new friends. If your current friends are generally good then no need to leave them necessarily, but if they aren't encouraging you to progress then you should find new friends who do, even if you keep your current friends.

2.) Give it time. I had a similar experience with my family. It took a good few years before they started to take me seriously, but now they do alhamdullilah. So be patient for now, and in sha Allah your situation will improve a lot, even if it is very slow

And lastly, even though you eluded to it, remember it doesn't matter what the people think. So long as you are being obedient to Allah and striving to please Him alone, you are achieving your purpose in life, regardless of whether other people take you seriously. In fact, other people not taking you seriously for now could be a blessing, as it could ensure that everything you are doing is sincerely for the sake of Allah and not in order to please the people. In any case, like I said, with time you situation will change in sha Allah, but I mention this just to encourage you to remain patient in the meanwhile, and also to remind you that while it might be nice for your friends and family to take you seriously, this shouldn't be a goal in and of itself, and should just be a means (eg as you mentioned, a means to be encouraged, or it could be a means by which you have the opportunity to teach them and gain reward from that).

May Allah make it easy for you.

Comment

musa alayhis salam suffered a similar response from firawn
      when he called firawn to tauheed he was reminded that he had killed someone before he was a prophet

dont let this get to you, your islam is for Allah not for people
      stay strong inshaallah
      What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked Allah for yesterday?

We worry about tomorrow as if its guaranteed

Comment

One of the things you will need is time. İf you had a history/past/reputation of not being as sincere or practicing then you need to spend a lot more time to make up for that reputation. İf İ know someone who hadnt worn hijab ever and now they do, its natural to feel a bit skeptical of their intent. İts only through time do these people re-learn who you are. Consistency is your best friend. Just keep doing it. My mom thought İslam was some "phase" but after a year or two she saw that İ was only getting more involved, and İ really chose this religion.

People generally dont like the Word "haram" because its accusatory. İts one of those words that psychologically people put defenses up...even if you are not directing the haram at the person, its a Word that offends people particularly if they arent as religious. Im not suggesting you stop using this, but İslamically we need to speak to the level of who we are around. İf you are around a more religious person than this is find, but maybe these less religious people you may need to say things kinder and more to their level of understanding.

You for sure need new friends. İf you are going through a change in character and habits, then you need someone who just knows the NEW you. Thats the support and recognition that you can get, because the people who know you from before need more time to catch up to where you are in life.

You will be taken seriously. Think of it this way. Youre in a courtroom, everyone around you are the jurors, they are just looking to see whether what you are doing is genuine or whether you are being deceptive. SO they remain skeptically watching you for evidence to defend yourself and who you are. Once people have either had enough time, or enough evidence they will conclude for themselves that either yes this person is now more pious, or that they need more time. İf you are wanting to be pious, and do anything the opposite it will be weighed heavily against you and thus take more evidence and time for people to make a decision. Once people made that decision your life is easy and normal again.

Just remember when you are on the path of being more religious the target on your back is larger, shaitan sees you more threatening and bad people will want to sway you into bad things...YET if you look around there are a lot of people there to support you and help you on your path. My advice is to read this really long thing İ wrote and what others had written, increase in knowledge (worldly and islamically) work on your etiquette and manners (like we all should) and maybe brush up on psychology a bit so that later alot of this makes more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by zeagirl View Post
          I feel like my growth with my Islam is not getting taken seriously. I didmt used to be the best person and I wasn't particularly religious but this year I've tried my best and AlhamduAllah my faith is growing. Whenever I say something is haram to a fellow islamoc friemd they dismiss me because they think I'm not worth listening to because I wasn't always the best Muslim. When I tell my family I want to wear headscarf they dismiss me and think I am joking. I know my religion is between myself and Allah but sometimes I want to be encouraged and someone to say keep going. I don't know what todo here
          Salaam sister

keep on going strong, it makes me so happy when a person practices deen ( I need to practice inshaALLAH)

don't worry, these are the tests that come when u start practicing, but remember, its easy to check the faults in every one else, just practice and practice and practice, and slowly ull start seeing the flaws in urself ( I don't mean it in a bad way ), see the flaws so we can rectify it.

be strong, when u read salaah, spend time in sujood, making dua to ALLAH, ull see the fruits inshaALLAH.

I actually had a very very very big argument with senior members of my family recently, coz if I want to to something deeni that's not common in todays times, it becomes a problem, but when everyone including these seniors would want to go on a day trip family trip, to haram places then that's fine, and if you don't wanna join then it becomes a problem.

Just stay strong and speak the truth, I kinda feel ur pain.

oh ALLAH, please give us the ability to speak the truth and give us wisdom when speaking, give us the wisdom of Rasulullah SAW, ameen ameen ameen.

Comment

Working...
          X