Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yasir Qadhi Q&A: Can someone explain this please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yasir Qadhi Q&A: Can someone explain this please?

Starts at 11th minute.

Also what does Medevil Islam mean?
    Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Re: Yasir Qadhi Q&A: Can someone explain this please?

To give him the benefit of the doubt, he could just well be meaning the application of the shariah in that time period. I.e he is only referencing the time period only and using a term that western Muslims can relate to. Personally I don't think this is the case here because he is clearly going on to state we need to have a dialogue about changing that 'medieval Islam' and which implies an attempt to promote a modernist Islam for modern times which is something we've seen from way too many people.

Worst of all is his comment on problematic text, now we might once again say giving him the benefit of the doubt he is saying problematic with the text of a particular scholar or group of scholars but the context he draws it back to is a reference to the bible, and when people mention text in this manner they are usually referring to primary text, i.e the Quran or the Quran and Sunnah.

I'm going to listen to the whole lecture again, to see if another way we can see his comments in a better light but it's very troubling again from Yasir Qadhi and I don't know how his fanclub can keep making excuses for this man again and again.
    Last edited by Gingerbeardman; 10-06-16, 08:13 PM.
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
      To give him the benefit of the doubt, he could just well be meaning the application of the shariah in that time period. Personally I don't think this is the case here because he is clearly going on to state we need to have a dialogue about changing that 'medieval Islam' and which implies an attempt to promote a modernist Islam for modern times which is something we've seen from way too many people.

Worst of all is his comment on problematic text, now we might once again say giving him the benefit of the doubt he is saying problematic with the text of a particular scholar or group of scholars but the context he draws it back to is a reference to the bible, and when people mention text in this manner they are usually referring to primary text, i.e the Quran or the Quran and Sunnah.
      :salams:

Mostly I give Yasir Qadhi the benefit of the doubt as with this case. But terms like that used in the video really do raise eyebrows. To say the least. I mean what does problematic texts mean in reference to the deen and what is it we need a dialogue about. The rulings are clear.
      Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
        To give him the benefit of the doubt, he could just well be meaning the application of the shariah in that time period. I.e he is only referencing the time period only and using a term that western Muslims can relate to. Personally I don't think this is the case here because he is clearly going on to state we need to have a dialogue about changing that 'medieval Islam' and which implies an attempt to promote a modernist Islam for modern times which is something we've seen from way too many people.

I'm going to listen to the whole lecture again, to see if another way we can see his comments in a better light but it's very troubling again from Yasir Qadhi and I don't know how his fanclub can keep making excuses for this man again and again.
        Yasir Qadhi has modernist tendencies, really? He confirms in the video that punishment for extra marital zina is death
        وَمَا قَدَرُوا اللَّهَ حَقَّ قَدْرِهِ وَالْأَرْضُ جَمِيعًا قَبْضَتُهُ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ وَالسَّمَاوَاتُ مَطْوِيَّاتٌ بِيَمِينِهِ ۚ سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَىٰ عَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ
        They have not appraised Allah with true appraisal, while the earth entirely will be [within] His grip on the Day of Resurrection, and the heavens will be folded in His right hand. Exalted is He and high above what they associate with Him. (Az-Zumar: 67)

Comment

I think anyone with a sound grasp of the English language can understand that medieval is used as an historical term - often used to describe the "Middle Ages" used to describe the state of the world up until the 15-16th century. Another term would be "pre-modern".

I think people should expand their intellectual horizons a little bit and stop jumping down and looking for excuses to condemn. I mean the state of literacy in the Ummah is pretty shocking when you have to explain what simple words mean....

Muslims today are just completely lost...why are we obsessed with punishment? Do you know how many times the Ottoman empire actually implemented the punishment for adultery? Only once...in their entire history (Read Heave on Earth - A Journey Through Islamic Law for the source), this is because the burden of proof for implementing the punishment is extremely high and secondly if you listened to what YQ said it's because the punishment was used to inspire psychological and eschatological fear within the hearts of people to ward them off from illicit sexual relations. It was a deterrent rather than something to actually implement or even formally codify.
          Last edited by 2nd Reflection; 10-06-16, 09:59 PM.

Comment

2nd Reflection, you wrongly take the "Ottoman empire" as your reference, when it was degeneratively removed from the Sunnah of the Prophet and the righteous khulafa.

Take note, their actual name was "Uthmani". "Ottoman" was an english derivative of the name. And the description of thrm as an "empire" was imposed by english speaking imperialists to dissuade Muslims from recognizing it as a "sultan" or a "khilafah".

The "khilafah" as a state is NOT an empire.
            Allahumma, aranee al haqqu haqqan wa arzuqnee itiba`ahu, wa aranee al baatilu baatilaan wa arzuqnee ijtinaabahu.Oh Allah! show us the truth as true, and inspire us to follow it. Show us falsehood as falsehood, and inspire us to abstain from it.
            " Do you know what destroys Islam? A mistake made by a scholar, the argument of a hypocrite in writing and the ruling of leaders who wish for people to stray

Comment

Who are the 'radicals'?

Yeah I saw someone made a video about radicals featuring Shaykh Haitham Al-Haddad. I concluded any Muslim who have respect for Qur'an, Sunnah and Shariah is radical to their eyes.

I like many videos of Yasir Qadhi, but this one is very disturbing.
              Winning an argument doesn't mean you're on truth, losing an argument doesn't mean you're on falsehood.

Comment

Oh dear...doesn't that take him out of the deen? About the quraan needing to be changed.

May Allah protect our deen and imaan ameen

لا تفكر كثيرا
                بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
                The children need your prayers more than anyone else
                www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by F_R View Post
                  Oh dear...doesn't that take him out of the deen? About the quraan needing to be changed.

May Allah protect our deen and imaan ameen
                  The hadd of stoning is not in Qur'an.
                  Winning an argument doesn't mean you're on truth, losing an argument doesn't mean you're on falsehood.

Comment

Originally posted by bhshawon View Post
                    The hadd of stoning is not in Qur'an.
                    He said the texts need changing or something and we are in dialogue about that.

لا تفكر كثيرا
                    بل استغفر كثيرا

The children need your prayers more than anyone else
                    www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                    X