Travelling without a mahram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling without a mahram

In hadeeth it says women should not travel for more than 1 day without a mahram.

This is not specified with distance but rather time. However the madhabs have translated this into specific distances which I'm not exactly sure how they worked out.

Obviously if you travel in a plane you can travel a much further distance in under a day.

My question is, is it fine to travel without a mahram as long as you travel for less than a day?
    Ya Rab! When you give me wealth, do not take away my happiness. When you give me strength, do not take away my intelligence. When you give me victory, do not take away my humility. When you give me humility, do not take away my dignity.

Re: Travelling without a mahram

Originally posted by -qed- View Post
    In hadeeth it says women should not travel for more than 1 day without a mahram.

This is not specified with distance but rather time. However the madhabs have translated this into specific distances which I'm not exactly sure how they worked out.

Obviously if you travel in a plane you can travel a much further distance in under a day.

My question is, is it fine to travel without a mahram as long as you travel for less than a day?
    Can you show me this hadith please? From what I read it was 3 days and 3 nights normally walking. This was converted into a distance by the fuqahaa.

Comment

Originally posted by studentofknowledge View Post
      Can you show me this hadith please? From what I read it was 3 days and 3 nights normally walking. This was converted into a distance by the fuqahaa.
      'Muslim (1339) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “It is not permissible for a woman who believes in Allaah and the Last Day to travel the distance of one day, except with a mahram.”
      '

https://islamqa.info/en/122630

I would've interpreted it to mean that you should always be within one days access of your mahram, especially as there is no mention of specific distance in the ahadeeth. Is this a valid interpretation?
      Ya Rab! When you give me wealth, do not take away my happiness. When you give me strength, do not take away my intelligence. When you give me victory, do not take away my humility. When you give me humility, do not take away my dignity.

Comment

'Muslim (1339) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “It is not permissible for a woman who believes in Allaah and the Last Day to travel the distance of one day, except with a mahram.”
        '

https://islamqa.info/en/122630

I would've interpreted it to mean that you should always be within one days access of your mahram, especially as there is no mention of specific distance in the ahadeeth. Is this a valid interpretation?
        I'll do some research and get back to you inshaAllah.

Comment

Originally posted by studentofknowledge View Post
          I'll do some research and get back to you inshaAllah.
          :jkk:

Comment

According to Sahih al Bukhari, (1729) and Muslim (2391) narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: 'The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No woman should travel except with a mahram.”'
            لَمْ يَلِدْ وَلَمْ يُولَدْ
            سورة الإخلاص

Comment

Originally posted by Yasirah87 View Post
              According to Sahih al Bukhari, (1729) and Muslim (2391) narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: 'The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No woman should travel except with a mahram.”'
              So at all. As in you can't leave the house without one?

Comment

Originally posted by Yasirah87 View Post
                Hmm... That sounds a bit harsh and difficult to believe. I mean come on, by the way you quote it, a woman wouldn't even be allowed to go to the local grocery store to buy food without her husband or whatnot. Now that would be

Comment

QUESTION:

Assalamu Alaikum, Can a sister travel for more than 57.5miles on her own? What if she had a signed letter by a mehram that she has permission to travel on her own

ANSWER:

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

It is forbidden for women to travel on her own or without her husbands or Mahram (a male with whom marriage is forbidden forever).

It is in al-Fatawa al-Hindiyyah :-

“It is not permissible for a woman to travel on a distance of three days or more (which is equal to 57.5 miles) without a Mahram. She cannot travel with other women, she needs to accompany her husband or a Mahram.” [Kitab al-Salah, vol.1, p. 142]

To such an extent, she cannot even embark upon a spiritual journey to Hajj without her husband or any Mahram.

Imam Ahmed Rida Khan (رحمة الله عليه) was asked regarding a woman whether she is allowed to go to Hajj without her husband. He wrote:

“If the Mahram is with her then she can, otherwise she is not allowed to.” [Fatawa-e-Ridawiyyah, vol. 23, p. 107].

Allah knows best.

Answered by Mawlana Mohamed Husein Qadri

The fatwa in Bahare shariat is on one day’s journeying due to the fasad of these times according to a riwayah from Imam Abu Hanifah and Qadi Abu Yusuf rahimahumullah

“It is not permitted for a woman to travel the distance of 3 days journeying or more without a mahram, in fact even the distance of 1 days journeying (approx 19 miles).” [Bahare Shariat vol 1 pg 752]

http://www.seekerspath.co.uk/questio...hout-a-mahram/

Comment

How about to the local grocery store? I hope no one has objections to that...

Comment

Originally posted by Khan8 View Post
                      QUESTION:

Assalamu Alaikum, Can a sister travel for more than 57.5miles on her own? What if she had a signed letter by a mehram that she has permission to travel on her own

ANSWER:

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

It is forbidden for women to travel on her own or without her husbands or Mahram (a male with whom marriage is forbidden forever).

It is in al-Fatawa al-Hindiyyah :-

“It is not permissible for a woman to travel on a distance of three days or more (which is equal to 57.5 miles) without a Mahram. She cannot travel with other women, she needs to accompany her husband or a Mahram.” [Kitab al-Salah, vol.1, p. 142]

To such an extent, she cannot even embark upon a spiritual journey to Hajj without her husband or any Mahram.

Imam Ahmed Rida Khan (رحمة الله عليه) was asked regarding a woman whether she is allowed to go to Hajj without her husband. He wrote:

“If the Mahram is with her then she can, otherwise she is not allowed to.” [Fatawa-e-Ridawiyyah, vol. 23, p. 107].

Allah knows best.

Answered by Mawlana Mohamed Husein Qadri

The fatwa in Bahare shariat is on one day’s journeying due to the fasad of these times according to a riwayah from Imam Abu Hanifah and Qadi Abu Yusuf rahimahumullah

“It is not permitted for a woman to travel the distance of 3 days journeying or more without a mahram, in fact even the distance of 1 days journeying (approx 19 miles).” [Bahare Shariat vol 1 pg 752]

http://www.seekerspath.co.uk/questio...hout-a-mahram/
                      Is it wrong to interpret the hadeeth literally because from all the hadeeth I have read on the matter there is no mention of actually distance and the most stringent was travelling for the duration of 1 day. For example taking a train from London to Birmingham would take about 2 hours but it is above the distance mentioned by the fuqaha. Is this distance therefore recommended rather than being a stringent ruling

Comment

Is it wrong to interpret the hadeeth literally because from all the hadeeth I have read on the matter there is no mention of actually distance and the most stringent was travelling for the duration of 1 day. For example taking a train from London to Birmingham would take about 2 hours but it is above the distance mentioned by the fuqaha. Is this distance therefore recommended rather than being a stringent ruling
                        It is haraam for a woman to travel without a mahram, there is difference of opinion about the distance but the best opinion in this day and age is distance of 1 day, 19 miles, there is more fitnah and less safety for women, especially Muslim women.

Comment

It is haraam for a woman to travel without a mahram, there is difference of opinion about the distance but the best opinion in this day and age is distance of 1 day, 19 miles, there is more fitnah and less safety for women, especially Muslim women.
                          :jkk:

Comment

Originally posted by AliB View Post
                            How about to the local grocery store? I hope no one has objections to that...
                            If there is a need then with permission of husband yeah, if shes just going to do window shopping or just walk around then nah.

Comment

If there is a need then with permission of husband yeah, if shes just going to do window shopping or just walk around then nah.
                              I disagree with that

Comment

Working...
                              X