No announcement yet.

Is strongman training allowed in islam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is strongman training allowed in islam?

Assalamualaikum Brothers. Since the last year I've been working out and now I'm quite strong. I seem to like the sport of strongman and have hope of becoming a professional strongman. But just like other strength sports, one cannot earn a living through professional strongman. It is more like a hobby. In case if you don't know what it is it is about lifting heavy things off the floor and carrying them or pressing them over the head. It is basically lifting & Moving heavy objects. It is not like bodybuilding why people are more concerned about the looks. In strongman it is about strength, endurance and pain tolerance. So you will the most strong men are fat. Doing competitions they often wear t-shirts and three-quarter pants. So is training for strongman or becoming a professional strongman Haram in Islam? Or is it bad or discouraged in any way in islam?

Some examples are:
    https://youtu.be/wFbPbhNXEAg
    https://youtu.be/pLC9Ek0jPcc
    https://youtu.be/eNoOcxGOUZQ

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Is strongman training allowed in islam?

Anyone maybe.....

Comment

:wswrwb:

a male has to cover from at least just under navel to beneath the knee; this much is a must so wearing that pants wont be allowed

a muslim needs to be strong; in hadith it says a stronger muslim is better than a weaker one; this is in all respects; faith, muscle strength etc,

so as a hobby just keep yourself busy and strong too I suppose you can do it, but with the right clothing ofcourse , but you musn't become proud or arrogant about your strength!

one more thing .. it just occurred to me that a man shouldn't look at the private area of another man ... and even if you dress according to Islam all your other competitors wont will they, so you will have to look at their ugly bum bums! :D [any of the 'must cover' area is considered the private area] .. so not quite sure about it now

Comment

Is this a guy thing? I don't understand why anyone would want to do this.
        “Ask forgiveness from your Lord. Indeed! He is Oft-Forgiving.” (71:10)

Comment

if being fat is a requirement too .. than no that wont be allowed for that will require overeating ... Islam does not encourage overeating, obesity etc etc.

you have to be strong and ready to pounce into action against kuffar attacking you in the streets too; that's why a physically strong muslim is better than a weaker one ... but no one's afraid of a fat guy; they'll just duck and dive around you and box you up man before you can grab them! :D:D

Comment

Originally posted by Salaam786 View Post
            :wswrwb:

a male has to cover from at least just under navel to beneath the knee; this much is a must so wearing that pants wont be allowed

a muslim needs to be strong; in hadith it says a stronger muslim is better than a weaker one; this is in all respects; faith, muscle strength etc,

so as a hobby just keep yourself busy and strong too I suppose you can do it, but with the right clothing ofcourse , but you musn't become proud or arrogant about your strength!

one more thing .. it just occurred to me that a man shouldn't look at the private area of another man ... and even if you dress according to Islam all your other competitors wont will they, so you will have to look at their ugly bum bums! :D [any of the 'must cover' area is considered the private area] .. so not quite sure about it now
            Sorry but I guess you mixed up strongman with bodybuilding. Coorect me if I am wrong. If you look at strongman competitors, most of them wear three quarter pants and t-shirts which cover almost everything except for arms and half of the shin. The awrah is definitely covered. The garment goes over the knee when deadlifting sometimes but you know, their knees are usually wrapped.

Comment

Originally posted by Salaam786 View Post
              if being fat is a requirement too .. than no that wont be allowed for that will require overeating ... Islam does not encourage overeating, obesity etc etc.

you have to be strong and ready to pounce into action against kuffar attacking you in the streets too; that's why a physically strong muslim is better than a weaker one ... but no one's afraid of a fat guy; they'll just duck and dive around you and box you up man before you can grab them! :D:D
              Haha. No. Getting fat is not a requirement. By "fat", I meant not bodybuilder type shredded-- ya know the ripped type. Elite strongman competitors are sometimes fat as they have to do whatever they can to get stronger. I wont become elite so thats not a problem InshaAllah. And no, even pro MMA fighters would think twice getting into fight with a pro strongman like seriously, one smack and he is dead, mashallah.
              https://youtu.be/Aaehn1aY8Ig

Comment

Originally posted by SofiaG View Post
                Maybe, I don't know. Are you a girl? Strange though it may sound, we guys often love to pick heavy things off the floor and put them back down. The heavy things can be humans (ie wrestling) or stones or objects. There is something to lifting heavy that we guys often like. It also builds a lot of character virtues like courage, pain tolerance, belief in oneself, patience, etc.

Comment

As long as you are not taking any drugs (its haraam), you are fine I think.

Comment

Originally posted by AwRastaale View Post
                    As long as you are not taking any drugs (its haraam), you are fine I think.
                    By drugs do you mean steroids? No I wouldn never take them. They mess up your hormones and state of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by SofiaG View Post
                      bismallah, salam sis yea It is kind of a guy thing :) we can be silly cavemen sometimes. I love to lift weights and spend an hour to an hour and a half in the gym monday through friday. some women like to lift heavy too. the more muscle mass you have the more fat you burn so lifting weights is fantastic for fat loss.
                      BismAllah. Slave of Allah swt forever Forever a slave of Allah swt

Comment

Originally posted by Abdur al Rahman View Post
                        bismallah, salam sis yea It is kind of a guy thing :) we can be silly cavemen sometimes. I love to lift weights and spend an hour to an hour and a half in the gym monday through friday. some women like to lift heavy too. the more muscle mass you have the more fat you burn so lifting weights is fantastic for fat loss.
                        Nicely put bro 😀. Although lifting looks silly, it improves our mental health a lot. Wouldn't you feel lazy and unwell if you skipped lifting for a week? I would.

Comment

Originally posted by Strength MM View Post
                          By drugs do you mean steroids? No I wouldn never take them. They mess up your hormones and state of mind.
                          What about supplements? Like protein, or metabolism booster. Would they be considered haram?

Comment

Originally posted by Strength MM View Post
                            Sorry but I guess you mixed up strongman with bodybuilding. Coorect me if I am wrong. If you look at strongman competitors, most of them wear three quarter pants and t-shirts which cover almost everything except for arms and half of the shin. The awrah is definitely covered. The garment goes over the knee when deadlifting sometimes but you know, their knees are usually wrapped.
                            well that's cool! :up:, but is it tight fit undergarment?; the clothes musn't be tight fit in the groin area; a hadith says, women in future [i.e, now] will wear clothes but yet be still naked; this refers to tight fit clothing they wear which basically leaves nothing to the imagination

but still do get a professional opinion about it; I am no scholar as you can see and as loose clothing in this sport can be dangerous?, hence tight clothing might be allowed ...

Comment

And no they don't usually wear tight clothes. Some do however. But the majority of the competitors wear loose clothes. Look at the links i gave at first post. Thanks for replying.

Comment

Working...
                              X