Giving exams while fasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving exams while fasting

Ok so I have got 3 exams on 9th June 2016.(10:30-12:30am ; 3-5:30pm ; 7-10pm). Now there is a high chance 9th June will be in Ramadan. I want to give the exams while fasting, but when I told that to my mother today she was furious. She started screaming and saying that she and my dad would not let that happen. I know my dad and he often said things like "If you do such extremism then don't study." And the "extremism" he was referring to was that I prayed in the Masjid before going to coaching as I knew the teacher came late. Now mind you my parents are muslims but they get furious when I do things that they didn't do when they were young. Praying in the middle of mock exams infuriated them, so I had to pray but not let them know about it. Now when my dad comes home, I know he will be furious again and throw the books and copies around, and on the day of the exams, he and my mon will either force me to eat or he might even kick me out for fasting. My sister is also saying things like I will feel dizzy, faint, etc if I fast. Because of the blessings of my Lord, I am pretty much confident that I can give the exams well, in fact better if I am fasting as I will definitely feel better and less guilty.

Now my question is what should I do. If I decide to disobey my parents they will get really angry, curse me, etc. But I dont feel comfortable not fasting in the Ramadan. I know I am strong enough to make sure they cannot physically force me to eat as long as I don't give in to their demands. But that also means that they will be extremely displeased. Telling them calmly will not help. Is it okay to infuriate parents in this circumstance?

Re: Giving exams while fasting

Are you old enough to fast?
    If yes ,then you should fast. Fasting is an obligatory action during the month of Ramadan and if your parents are requesting you not to fast they are asking you to disobey Allah for worldly affairs. May Allah make it easy for you and know that Allah will reward you and make it easy for you inshaAllah. Perhaps you can secretly fast so that they are not angry.
    Last edited by patient believer; 29-05-16, 12:14 PM.
    Ya Allah,
    Make me a stronger person today. Make me a better person out of all these. It is no longer bearable for me for my heart is aching and You are the only One who knows how I feel. Nothing is making sense to myself and for anyone else for that matter especially to the one person I wish to understand me better than anybody else.
    "Don't use the sharpness of your tongue on the mother who taught you how to speak

Comment

Giving exams while fasting

http://productivemuslim.com/exams-and-ramadan/

read this and i agree with exactly what patientbeliever said
      [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][B][U][CENTER]Oh Allah, in your name, I die and live.[/CENTER][/U][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
      [CENTER]:):lailah::lailah::lailah::lailah::)[/CENTER]

[B][CENTER]Ya Allah, Grant Me A Heart That Sees[/CENTER][/B]

Comment

Yes I am almost 17 and definitely old enough to fast. I will definitely try my best to infuriate my parents as little as possible although secretly fasting is almost impossible in this case. I will try to be kind in shaa Allah. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Yes you have to fast, maybe be secretive. If they try and feed you on that morning ask them if they can give you the food to take with you because you have to study something first. Then when you get your results, if you do well in sha Allah let them know you were fasting lol. In any case, just be patient and kind with them, if they get angry then Alhamdullilah you pleased your Lord and in sha Allah they will come round eventually.

Comment

Ok another question. My last exam of the day is from 7:00pm to 10:00 pm. The Maghrib Adaan is approximately at 6:45, so I may break the fast by a glass of water before taking the exam. But there is a high chance I will miss the Taraweeh, as it probably ends by 10:00pm. Can I pray taraweeh later on alone for the day? If not what should I do? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Strength MM View Post
              Ok another question. My last exam of the day is from 7:00pm to 10:00 pm. The Maghrib Adaan is approximately at 6:45, so I may break the fast by a glass of water before taking the exam. But there is a high chance I will miss the Taraweeh, as it probably ends by 10:00pm. Can I pray taraweeh later on alone for the day? If not what should I do? Thanks in advance for your assistance.
              Taraweeh is not compulsory, you can pray it alone if you want.

Comment

Thanks for helping guys. Really appreciate it.

Comment

Yes I am almost 17 and definitely old enough to fast. I will definitely try my best to infuriate my parents as little as possible although secretly fasting is almost impossible in this case. I will try to be kind in shaa Allah. Thanks for the replies.
                  How can you pretend? When you break your fast 9pm ish its going to be difficult to keep this lie. I feel for you brother I really do. Just do the best you can do. ��
                  And whatever you have of favor - it is from Allah. Then when adversity touches you, to Him you cry for help

[an-Nahl 16:53].

Comment

Ok so I have got 3 exams on 9th June 2016.(10:30-12:30am ; 3-5:30pm ; 7-10pm). Now there is a high chance 9th June will be in Ramadan. I want to give the exams while fasting, but when I told that to my mother today she was furious. She started screaming and saying that she and my dad would not let that happen. I know my dad and he often said things like "If you do such extremism then don't study." And the "extremism" he was referring to was that I prayed in the Masjid before going to coaching as I knew the teacher came late. Now mind you my parents are muslims but they get furious when I do things that they didn't do when they were young. Praying in the middle of mock exams infuriated them, so I had to pray but not let them know about it. Now when my dad comes home, I know he will be furious again and throw the books and copies around, and on the day of the exams, he and my mon will either force me to eat or he might even kick me out for fasting. My sister is also saying things like I will feel dizzy, faint, etc if I fast. Because of the blessings of my Lord, I am pretty much confident that I can give the exams well, in fact better if I am fasting as I will definitely feel better and less guilty.

Now my question is what should I do. If I decide to disobey my parents they will get really angry, curse me, etc. But I dont feel comfortable not fasting in the Ramadan. I know I am strong enough to make sure they cannot physically force me to eat as long as I don't give in to their demands. But that also means that they will be extremely displeased. Telling them calmly will not help. Is it okay to infuriate parents in this circumstance?
                    There's a kind of mindset most need to have. You shouldn't disobey your parents when they're right. But if they're getting angry at you for praying your prayer, even if it's in the middle of an exam, then you don't listen to them. If you think you can handle fasting during the exams, then go for it and place your trust in Allah. If you can reschedule the exams or something of the sort then that might be handy. Not sure exactly how lenient they are..
                    بَارَكَ اللّهُ لَكَ

Comment

Thanks for the support guys. I will give my best shot Inshaa Allah. And no there's no way I can reschedule it. Anyway thanks for the help and encouragement.

Comment

AKHI watch this https://youtu.be/WvgY8rz_a0Y and don,t be stressed,it will make your conditions worse than this present condition.

Comment

Bro are your parents non Muslims? Cos' that's a very drastic and extreme reaction just because you want to fast. I suggest that in the morning, you pack things in your bag like water/juice/smoothie and a breakfast bar or something, then leave the house in a hurry and say you don't want to be late so they can't pin you down to eat or like others have said, you can pack food to take with you and then eat it at iftar. Don't tell them that you're fasting. If you don't intend to eat your breakfast bar or the food they give you, then give it to someone at school or keep it in your locker so that they think you've had it, or eat it at iftar.

Actually even if you only have 15mins between maghrib and the exam, try to eat something even something small like a flapjack or two cos' they're energy dense. Do they let you take water into your exam? Some places allow that so you can drink during the exam. You're doing the right thing and I hope it works out for you. There's no Islamic obligation to do tarawih everyday- in fact one time the Prophet (saw) missed tarawih deliberately so that his companions knew that it was not an obligation and it's fine to skip a day here and there.
                          The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Thanks everyone. Its my o level exam and they think thats a very important thing in life. Anyway, I don't think its possible to take the food with me, as I usually eat at home and no one actually takes food with them to the exam building where I live. And even if they want to they cannot force me to do anything physically as I train for strongman. I will have to say that I would not eat in the morning. Let's see what happens. Thanks for the support guys.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X