Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striving for Janna
    replied
    Re: Is it haram to work as a bank teller?

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
    Are you fatwa shopping?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• .mirror.
    replied

Are you fatwa shopping?

Leave a comment:

• Striving for Janna
    replied

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
    Assalaamu alaykum,

Don't confuse the hanafi madhab with the ruling of one or a few fatawah you may find online and I've never met a hanafi sheikh in person who said it was permissible and had looked hard as worked in a similar position when I first became Muslim.

Let me clear it up for you, give you an analogy...

It's haram to consume alcohol, so can I work as a bar worker as long as I don't consume it? pretty certain we'd all agree that is not allowed.
    Now what about a doorman? Gets slightly more tricky, but such a person is the one directing others to the alcohol, or turning them away, and likewise as a bank teller you would be the one asked about haram products and advising others, facilitating their doing haram so in such circumstances of-course you couldn't take up such a job.
    But it was a fatwa on islamqa.org.....I guess the site's hanafi section only represents a minority opinion within the hanafi madhab?

Leave a comment:

• Ahmed Alwan
    replied

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
    Assalaamu alaykum,

Don't confuse the hanafi madhab with the ruling of one or a few fatawah you may find online and I've never met a hanafi sheikh in person who said it was permissible and had looked hard as worked in a similar position when I first became Muslim.

It's haram to consume alcohol, so can I work as a bar worker as long as I don't consume it? pretty certain we'd all agree that is not allowed.
    Now what about a doorman? Gets slightly more tricky, but such a person is the one directing others to the alcohol, or turning them away, and likewise as a bank teller you would be the one asked about haram products and advising others, facilitating their doing haram so in such circumstances of-course you couldn't take up such a job.
    Exactly!

Leave a comment:

• Gingerbeardman
    replied

Assalaamu alaykum,

Leave a comment:

• Striving for Janna
    started a topic Is it haram to work as a bank teller?

Is it haram to work as a bank teller?

I read that in the hanafi madhab it is permissible to work as a bank teller because this does not directly involve riba.....but others have said it is haram....is it? because my back up plan for a job during college was working in the post office, but that industry is dying......also, I apologize if I keep telling conflicting stories about what I want to major in or get a job in, I know it seems like I'm making this up but I just am not sure what I want to major in or work as so I keep changing....I apologize for the inconvenience, or for making it look like I have a "parody account" as one person put it.....
Working...
X