Is it haram to work as a bank teller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it haram to work as a bank teller?

I read that in the hanafi madhab it is permissible to work as a bank teller because this does not directly involve riba.....but others have said it is haram....is it? because my back up plan for a job during college was working in the post office, but that industry is dying......also, I apologize if I keep telling conflicting stories about what I want to major in or get a job in, I know it seems like I'm making this up but I just am not sure what I want to major in or work as so I keep changing....I apologize for the inconvenience, or for making it look like I have a "parody account" as one person put it.....

Re: Is it haram to work as a bank teller?

Assalaamu alaykum,

Don't confuse the hanafi madhab with the ruling of one or a few fatawah you may find online and I've never met a hanafi sheikh in person who said it was permissible and had looked hard as worked in a similar position when I first became Muslim.

Let me clear it up for you, give you an analogy...

It's haram to consume alcohol, so can I work as a bar worker as long as I don't consume it? pretty certain we'd all agree that is not allowed.
    Now what about a doorman? Gets slightly more tricky, but such a person is the one directing others to the alcohol, or turning them away, and likewise as a bank teller you would be the one asked about haram products and advising others, facilitating their doing haram so in such circumstances of-course you couldn't take up such a job.
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
      Assalaamu alaykum,

Don't confuse the hanafi madhab with the ruling of one or a few fatawah you may find online and I've never met a hanafi sheikh in person who said it was permissible and had looked hard as worked in a similar position when I first became Muslim.

It's haram to consume alcohol, so can I work as a bar worker as long as I don't consume it? pretty certain we'd all agree that is not allowed.
      Now what about a doorman? Gets slightly more tricky, but such a person is the one directing others to the alcohol, or turning them away, and likewise as a bank teller you would be the one asked about haram products and advising others, facilitating their doing haram so in such circumstances of-course you couldn't take up such a job.
      Exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
        Assalaamu alaykum,

But it was a fatwa on islamqa.org.....I guess the site's hanafi section only represents a minority opinion within the hanafi madhab?

Comment

Are you fatwa shopping?
          Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
          - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
            Are you fatwa shopping?
            No.

Comment

Working...
            X