Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents with Somali girls vs parents with Somali boys

Well well well

So the other day or whenever, my sis made a comment which was a realisation, well it just put things into place nice and neatly.

Somali parents are always so....erm....i was gonna say tough but basically they tell their daaughters to do more than their sons. And i don't just mean housework but in general they're always on the girls' case. Meanwhile all the boys are softened up and babified and left to remain dependant.

And do you know what this results in? Somali girls being independent, strong, tough, often non-crap takers and not waiting for people to do things.

On the contrary, Somali boys tend to be too soft and dependant coz their parents never taught them or told them to do things.

Do you not agree? I realised this is why we girls are like this and the boys are like that. This is why you have Somali mothers who do soo much for their families whereas the fathers often don't do as much.

And [MENTION=30830]Pippin1376[/MENTION] don't close this thread as you closed the other one which considering it was about surah fatiha it was very relevant to ramadhan.

لا تفكر كثيرا
    بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
    The children need your prayers more than anyone else
    www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Re: Parents with Somali girls vs parents with Somali boys

Originally posted by F_R View Post
    Well well well

So the other day or whenever, my sis made a comment which was a realisation, well it just put things into place nice and neatly.

Somali parents are always so....erm....i was gonna say tough but basically they tell their daaughters to do more than their sons. And i don't just mean housework but in general they're always on the girls' case. Meanwhile all the boys are softened up and babified and left to remain dependant.

And do you know what this results in? Somali girls being independent, strong, tough, often non-crap takers and not waiting for people to do things.

On the contrary, Somali boys tend to be too soft and dependant coz their parents never taught them or told them to do things.

Do you not agree? I realised this is why we girls are like this and the boys are like that. This is why you have Somali mothers who do soo much for their families whereas the fathers often don't do as much.

And [MENTION=30830]Pippin1376[/MENTION] don't close this thread as you closed the other one which considering it was about surah fatiha it was very relevant to ramadhan.
    :salams:
    Huge generalisation. I guess it's who you surrounded by. To me most of the ones I know are excellent protectors of their family and also providers too. Also this should be posted in Somali thread. Not sure why your ceebaying us on the main forum.
    Last edited by InTheBegining; 08-05-16, 03:16 PM.
    Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Comment

Not sure why this is in the mains when there is a Somali thread.

l'm pretty sure [MENTION=30830]Pippin1376[/MENTION] recently made a thread about generalizations so I wouldn't be surprised if this gets closed.
      Last edited by SheSaid; 08-05-16, 04:14 PM.
      17-07

Comment

I agree with you.
        '' WE LIVE IN AN INTERESTING TIME, WHERE THE 'ILM (KNOWLEDGE) OF A PERSON IS JUDGED BY HOW FAMOUS THE PERSON IS.''

- IMAM ANWAR AL 'AWLAQI.

Comment

Ceebaying? Lol coz it ain't just somaalida who see this, my friends have said similar. An I'm not talking about protecting which is basically to do with gheera an I'm not talking about that

لا تفكر كثيرا
          بل استغفر كثيرا

Comment

Originally posted by Silent being View Post
            I agree with you.
            Lol at least it's not just me

لا تفكر كثيرا
            بل استغفر كثيرا

Comment

Originally posted by F_R View Post
              Lol at least it's not just me
              It is what it is. A sudanese lady pointed this out too. She used to live in KSA and noted what you just said. Obviously might be a bit of generalisation but there is no denying the fact.
              '' WE LIVE IN AN INTERESTING TIME, WHERE THE 'ILM (KNOWLEDGE) OF A PERSON IS JUDGED BY HOW FAMOUS THE PERSON IS.''

- IMAM ANWAR AL 'AWLAQI.

Comment

i'm not sure about the reason. i don't think it used to be like that back in the day.

in the grandparents generation men used to be put before the women in nearly everything, the women served the men, the men at least had to be men and go out and work.
                then in our parents generation there was war then Europe/west happened. things were wrong to start with but it got worse here.
                men started chewing that qat a little too much and women had to pretty much do everything. i think this is where they became like they are and they pass this down to their daughters. maybe because of what they've been through? i don't know

(there are obviously exceptions, i'm just speaking from what i've seen)
                شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
                فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
                وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
                ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Comment

Originally posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
                  i'm not sure about the reason. i don't think it used to be like that back in the day.

in the grandparents generation men used to be put before the women in nearly everything, the women served the men, the men at least had to be men and go out and work.
                  then in our parents generation there was war then Europe/west happened. things were wrong to start with but it got worse here.
                  men started chewing that qat a little too much and women had to pretty much do everything. i think this is where they became like they are and they pass this down to their daughters. maybe because of what they've been through? i don't know

(there are obviously exceptions, i'm just speaking from what i've seen)

It all depends upon the parents and how they raise their kids

Comment

I don't think its just the Somalian, every community you go into you will see this trend. Some might be one generation ahead but go back 50 years and you will see the same in Western culture. Desi culture has the same issue & this is the transition generation. Next generation the Somalian and Desi parenting will be similar to the western parenting of no difference between boy/girl.

I see the same thing, the girls are pushed hard from young age. A sense of urgency is embedded in them due to need to get them married ASAP while needing to establish a career ASAP. So girls learn and push & handle more so they can be prepared for their 20's when marriage can put halt on everything. Parents know this, so they do their best to prepare their daughter in the short time they have with her. The daughter will not be under parents protection for too long so the parents have to get her ready to survive the world. What if her husband becomes an @$$, what if her inlaws abuse her, what if she can't manage to raise kids..(those questions existed in parents mind in past) but now parents have to prepare her to be successful and wise and independent in the short time they have with her.

For boys its different, he will always be under parents protection. He doesn't have that sense of urgency that girls have. Even if he gets married young, he still lives by his rule so he can carry on doing things that is convenient for him. Even in old days, boys learned their fathers job and inherited the trade (farm/business) from father, which didn't happen until father retire.

Hence girls grow up in their teens while boys grow up in their late 20's. But by 40's they are all in same place in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Kya View Post
                      I don't think its just the Somalian, every community you go into you will see this trend. Some might be one generation ahead but go back 50 years and you will see the same in Western culture. Desi culture has the same issue & this is the transition generation. Next generation the Somalian and Desi parenting will be similar to the western parenting of no difference between boy/girl.

I see the same thing, the girls are pushed hard from young age. A sense of urgency is embedded in them due to need to get them married ASAP while needing to establish a career ASAP. So girls learn and push & handle more so they can be prepared for their 20's when marriage can put halt on everything. Parents know this, so they do their best to prepare their daughter in the short time they have with her. The daughter will not be under parents protection for too long so the parents have to get her ready to survive the world. What if her husband becomes an @$$, what if her inlaws abuse her, what if she can't manage to raise kids..(those questions existed in parents mind in past) but now parents have to prepare her to be successful and wise and independent in the short time they have with her.

For boys its different, he will always be under parents protection. He doesn't have that sense of urgency that girls have. Even if he gets married young, he still lives by his rule so he can carry on doing things that is convenient for him. Even in old days, boys learned their fathers job and inherited the trade (farm/business) from father, which didn't happen until father retire.

Hence girls grow up in their teens while boys grow up in their late 20's. But by 40's they are all in same place in life.
                      I agree with the first two paragraphs in the main, however, to suggest the boys are under the parents protection does not make much sense. He does not get an easy ride and has to provide for his household. With so many fiercely independent women about I can't imagine they will be marrying a guy that is not keen on a bit of hustle.

The main driver in mainly south asian households from what I have seen is that the mother does not want her daughter to be tied to the kitchen like she is so wants her to have more options, I can understand that to a point. I think western society is reaping the benefits of it now. You have educated women who perhaps have greater ambitions to achieve more and have wider horizons and they look around and say "where all the men at?".

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
                        I agree with the first two paragraphs in the main, however, to suggest the boys are under the parents protection does not make much sense. He does not get an easy ride and has to provide for his household. With so many fiercely independent women about I can't imagine they will be marrying a guy that is not keen on a bit of hustle.

The main driver in mainly south asian households from what I have seen is that the mother does not want her daughter to be tied to the kitchen like she is so wants her to have more options, I can understand that to a point. I think western society is reaping the benefits of it now. You have educated women who perhaps have greater ambitions to achieve more and have wider horizons and they look around and say "where all the men at?".
                        Good point, I should have clarified the "under parents protection" applies more to older generation, which is whom our parents learned from. The "fiercely independent women" recently came out. Many of the parents were not prepared for them when raising their kids.

I agree with the rest. I would say another reason mothers (parents) push the daughter to get early start in career is so that when she does take career beak to raise kids, there will be something for her to get back to. Boys don't need that career break. I use to get irritated by this gender bias I saw. But as I got older, I realize there truly is wisdom in age. Most times we don't get it but there is. Trust the elders

Comment

Originally posted by Kya View Post
                          Good point, I should have clarified the "under parents protection" applies more to older generation, which is whom our parents learned from. The "fiercely independent women" recently came out. Many of the parents were not prepared for them when raising their kids.

I agree with the rest. I would say another reason mothers (parents) push the daughter to get early start in career is so that when she does take career beak to raise kids, there will be something for her to get back to. Boys don't need that career break. I use to get irritated by this gender bias I saw. But as I got older, I realize there truly is wisdom in age. Most times we don't get it but there is. Trust the elders
                          I got the impression that the option to work was for the time when the mess hits the fan. From here at least (UF) I got the impression women who are working before getting married are not that keen on working once married. If that is the case then the likelihood is that you have spent so much time out of the market that it's difficult to get back in to what you want or had before, of course its dependant on your skills and experience. But generally, the longer you are out of the race it's harder to get back in.

However, the time spent learning and applying knowledge is not a bad thing, it can always be utilised in other ways too.

Comment

Sounds like the Desi community too.
                            The men are so overly dependent on their womenfolk ...you'll see grown men who can't even make themselves a cup of tea.
                            He may earn money but thats literally it ...everything else is run and controlled by the women but they will often give the man of the house the final nod on matters so he feels like he has a false sense of control.

Comment

Too much generalizations

Comment

Working...
                              X