Clear All

• Losing weight the sunnah way

http://ayeina.com/losing-weight-the-sunnah-way/
    www.ayeina.com
    Instagram: https://instagram.com/ayeina_official/
    Facebook: https://web.facebook.com/ayeina.online

Re: Losing weight the sunnah way

good post, and well worth commenting to bump it
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Agreed good post.

Part of Islam's beauty is it's sheer simplicity.

Comment

Might sound stupid but I always wonder how muslim ladies go swimming when there are CCTV cameras and no guarantee of a female life guard at leisure centres all the time...??

:confused:
        ‘If only I had done such-and-such, then such-and-such would have happened.’ Rather you should say, ‘Qaddara Allah wa ma sha a fa’ala (Allah decrees, and what He wills He does),’ for (the words) ‘If only’ open the door to the Shaytan.” (Narrated by Muslim).

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
          good post, and well worth commenting to bump it
          jazakAllah khair
          www.ayeina.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nafs al Tawabah View Post
            Might sound stupid but I always wonder how muslim ladies go swimming when there are CCTV cameras and no guarantee of a female life guard at leisure centres all the time...??

:confused:
            Depending on which country you live in, it can be a hard decision to take. Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia etc are very strict in their rules regarding such things so one can go easily (obviously with covered satr) - rest, gotta have your own pool :P
            www.ayeina.com

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
              Agreed good post.

Part of Islam's beauty is it's sheer simplicity.
              indeed. jazakAllah khair
              www.ayeina.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zayeneesha View Post
                Depending on which country you live in, it can be a hard decision to take. Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia etc are very strict in their rules regarding such things so one can go easily (obviously with covered satr) - rest, gotta have your own pool :P
                Exactly - alhamdhulilah sis I though there was this secret way muslimahs could swim for fitness in public pools in the West that I was unaware of.

Time to save money for my villa with 3m pool ;)
                ‘If only I had done such-and-such, then such-and-such would have happened.’ Rather you should say, ‘Qaddara Allah wa ma sha a fa’ala (Allah decrees, and what He wills He does),’ for (the words) ‘If only’ open the door to the Shaytan.” (Narrated by Muslim).

Comment

Exactly - alhamdhulilah sis I though there was this secret way muslimahs could swim for fitness in public pools in the West that I was unaware of.

hahaha inshaaAllah :D
                  otherwise in Jannah (if Allah wills) we be flying and swimming in salsabeel hehe
                  www.ayeina.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zayeneesha View Post
                    hahaha inshaaAllah :D
                    otherwise in Jannah (if Allah wills) we be flying and swimming in salsabeel hehe
                    You gotta dream otherwise you''l cry haha

Our reward is with Allah and dunya is only a drop in the ocean of life.

Comment

I'll tell you an interesting fact about eating less. Some scientists say portion control is easier when people eat from smaller plates. Well the truth is that dining plates in the US are a few inches bigger than dining plates in Europe. I also always advise people who are considering a healthier lifestyle to start with looking at what they DRINK. According to the Sunnah, pure water is the best drink and the hadith does state one third food, one third water as well as one third air. Too many of us are having too many fizzy drinks, sweet squash drinks and so on. On the whole, this means people are consuming way too much sugar. The amount of sugar a person ate in his whole life time 50-100 years ago is the amount of sugar an average child in the UK consumes by age 8! Much of this is cos' of what people drink and coke is very addictive so people go through withdrawal when they attempt to stop. Also "sugar free" drinks containing artificial sweetener are even worse for health so don't touch those.

Regularly drinking a few glasses of water a day is good for you. If you want to drink something nicer instead of coke or other unhealthy drinks then make your own so that you know what goes into it. You can have one glass every couple of days of things like smoothies, lassi (even mango lassi), faluda, fruit juice and if you can't live without it, a couple of cups per day of tea or coffee (but having caffeine makes it harder to fast). DO NOT TOUCH RED BULL.

Being healthy isn't just about losing weight, besides the kufaar have unnatural expectations of what a healthy body should look like. A woman who is a UK size 14-16 has reached a healthy weight, but according to rubbish BMI standards, this is called "overweight" even though people who are of that size tend to live longer. If I were a size 16, I wouldn't want to put on more weight than that, but at the same time, a person of that size doesn't need to lose weight, just maintain it.

Another key to losing weight is to eat because you're hungry, not because you're depressed, or need food as a comfort. If you have a habit of comfort eating, you need to find a new and better way of dealing with uncomfortable emotions. Another problem is convenience foods; learn to make a decent packed lunch the day before so that you don't rely on the takeaway at work. Batch cook a dish during the weekend then freeze it so that you have a healthier home made ready meal on those mid week days when you just don't have the energy to cook (curries freeze well, so does lasagna, cannelloni and quite a few other things). Don't go shopping when you're hungry, that will cause you to be more tempted to buy unhealthy snacks when you're shopping. You can have the odd treat like chocolate once in a while as long as you don't go overboard.

there used to be a local swimming place which had a women's only night once a week with female life guards and I don't think they had a CCTV problem there. This was over 15 years ago though, when cctv was less common and the place shut down because the council hired dodgy builders who used cheap materials so chunks of ceiling kept falling down. Anyway swimming is not the only form of exercise around.
                      The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                        I'll tell you an interesting fact about eating less. Some scientists say portion control is easier when people eat from smaller plates. Well the truth is that dining plates in the US are a few inches bigger than dining plates in Europe. I also always advise people who are considering a healthier lifestyle to start with looking at what they DRINK. According to the Sunnah, pure water is the best drink and the hadith does state one third food, one third water as well as one third air. Too many of us are having too many fizzy drinks, sweet squash drinks and so on. On the whole, this means people are consuming way too much sugar. The amount of sugar a person ate in his whole life time 50-100 years ago is the amount of sugar an average child in the UK consumes by age 8! Much of this is cos' of what people drink and coke is very addictive so people go through withdrawal when they attempt to stop. Also "sugar free" drinks containing artificial sweetener are even worse for health so don't touch those.

Regularly drinking a few glasses of water a day is good for you. If you want to drink something nicer instead of coke or other unhealthy drinks then make your own so that you know what goes into it. You can have one glass every couple of days of things like smoothies, lassi (even mango lassi), faluda, fruit juice and if you can't live without it, a couple of cups per day of tea or coffee (but having caffeine makes it harder to fast). DO NOT TOUCH RED BULL.

Being healthy isn't just about losing weight, besides the kufaar have unnatural expectations of what a healthy body should look like. A woman who is a UK size 14-16 has reached a healthy weight, but according to rubbish BMI standards, this is called "overweight" even though people who are of that size tend to live longer. If I were a size 16, I wouldn't want to put on more weight than that, but at the same time, a person of that size doesn't need to lose weight, just maintain it.

Another key to losing weight is to eat because you're hungry, not because you're depressed, or need food as a comfort. If you have a habit of comfort eating, you need to find a new and better way of dealing with uncomfortable emotions. Another problem is convenience foods; learn to make a decent packed lunch the day before so that you don't rely on the takeaway at work. Batch cook a dish during the weekend then freeze it so that you have a healthier home made ready meal on those mid week days when you just don't have the energy to cook (curries freeze well, so does lasagna, cannelloni and quite a few other things). Don't go shopping when you're hungry, that will cause you to be more tempted to buy unhealthy snacks when you're shopping. You can have the odd treat like chocolate once in a while as long as you don't go overboard.

there used to be a local swimming place which had a women's only night once a week with female life guards and I don't think they had a CCTV problem there. This was over 15 years ago though, when cctv was less common and the place shut down because the council hired dodgy builders who used cheap materials so chunks of ceiling kept falling down. Anyway swimming is not the only form of exercise around.
                        The thing is most people already know this, they know they are eating stuff which is not good for them (perhaps they don't know how bad but they know it's bad) and they know they are eating and drinking to excess. It's ironic that the appetite to fix it is the one appetite they lack. Talking about the people that want to do something about it, others who are "bigger" may well be happy with the way they are.

I don't agree with what you say about size 14-16 is healthy...personally I'd say 12 maybe pushing 14 (perhaps height also plays a part in this) but above this and yeah I'd say a person is carrying load they just don't need.

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post

[MENTION=1489]neelu[/MENTION]
                          wow! sucha detailed feedback. i think we'll have to make part 2 for this based on the content you provided :D mashaaAllah.
                          yes losing weight isn't necessarily healthy (as mentione din the article as well) but it is a health issue for many. some people are bigger in size naturally. but not every big size is a natural big size. when Prophet (saws) said 1/3rd food, 1/3rd water and 1/3rd for breathing, we don't even realise we're statiated until the food is right up our throats lol.

and yes, simply walking can even do wonders to just keep yourself a bit active.
                          www.ayeina.com

Comment

Some of the local community center/pool tend to have "women only swimming session". It is actually quiet common because many older western ladies don't like mix environment. If your city doesn't have "women only session" ask them if they know of any or have plans to include it. Few years ago, I asked my community center recreation department if there was any women only session knowing fully well there wasn't but I wanted to verify. I followed up by asking if they were planning on adding one in future. I didn't think much of it but a year later there it was on the schedule. Unfortunately, it was at 3pm on Monday & I have work than but I was very impress that city took suggestion. I am sure other ladies been asking hence

Regarding size, I have to disagree with size 14 (UK) which would be equal to 12 (USA). I would think size 6 (which is size 8 UK) is idea .

Comment

Originally posted by Kya View Post

Regarding size, I have to disagree with size 14 (UK) which would be equal to 12 (USA). I would think size 6 (which is size 8 UK) is idea .
                              UK size 8 is THIN! I mean sure some rare people are naturally very slim indeed so that's natural for them but that is not a normal healthy size for most women. In the UK, size 8 is literally only one size above size zero which is anorexic size. That is not ideal for over 90% of women who want to stay healthy, if anything, it is underweight and part of the unrealistic expectations of the female body size that is shoved down our throats by the fashion and ugly industry.
                              The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Working...
                              X