Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcoholic and struggling

As salaam Alaykum

I am a 26 year old alcoholic, struggling since 2006. I recently put together 60 days of continuous sobriety. I was under tremendous pressure to perform in various aspects of my life. To do well in school. To be a good Muslim. To work my program of recovery. And I cracked. Went back to the bottle. I've drank twice since going back out. The last time I went out I got so drunk I only vaguely remember bits and pieces of the night. Between the bar and buying booze at the gas station afterward I spent upward of 70 dollars. And that's nothing new. Tonight I paced back and forth down the liquor aisle before finally deciding to leave. I haven't kept up with salat in over a week. I'm in rough shape, and I have a decision to make.

I need to commit to recovery. I dropped my classes to ease some of the load and I'm getting a full time job instead. Instead of putting pressure on myself to be a good Muslim, I just need to do the best that I can. It will all come in good time Inshallah. I heard somewhere that if I drink alcohol that my salat will not be accepted for 40 days. Well, whatever. I'm going to do it anyway. I need guidance more than ever.

I want so badly to quit for good. Addiction has to be the closest thing to earthly hellfire; I couldn't adequately describe it with any words in the English language.

So I suppose I don't know what I'm asking for. Just some non-judgmental support.

Re: Alcoholic and struggling

Salah salah salah
    Maintain your salah and you will beat this bro inshaallah. You maintain your salah Allah will give you help from where you do not expect inshaallah
    It's a tough one bro I've had my own battle with addictions but alhamdulilah Allah gave me the tawfiq to quit. Now alhamdulilah I'm around seven years clean and speaking from experience you won't find anything like salah to bring Allah's help to beat this
    Even in the belly of the whale there was hope.

Comment

walykum al salaam brother

no doubt alcohol is one of the greater sins but masha Allah , judging from you post it seems your are doing well!

so you already know its wrong and they say knowing is half the battle.. you have put some effort in quitting and all i can say is keep at it brother .. may Allah reward you

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Whoever gives up something for the sake of Allah, Allah will compensate him with something better than it.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani.

so the next time you start on your sobriety period dont think that you have a misreable sober future ahead of you rather Allah subhana will compensate you with something better than that.. and Allah never break HIS promise إِنَّ اللّهَ لاَ يُخْلِفُ الْمِيعَادَ

PS: i agree with essa , definetly maintain your prayers at all costs

“Recite what has been revealed to you of the Book, and perform the Salah. Verily, the Salah prevents from Al-Fahsha’ (immoral sins) and Al-Munkar (evil deeds) and the remembering (praising) of Allah is greater indeed. And Allah knows what you do.” (29:45)
      Last edited by Ibn Taleb; 23-04-16, 10:50 AM.
      The Prophet (saw) advised to: “Take benefit of five before five: Your youth before your old age, your health before your sickness, your wealth before your poverty, your free time before you are preoccupied, and your life before your death
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgE...kS-Qi3nf3tcvPw

Comment

Originally posted by AaronKM View Post
        As salaam Alaykum

I am a 26 year old alcoholic, struggling since 2006. I recently put together 60 days of continuous sobriety. I was under tremendous pressure to perform in various aspects of my life. To do well in school. To be a good Muslim. To work my program of recovery. And I cracked. Went back to the bottle. I've drank twice since going back out. The last time I went out I got so drunk I only vaguely remember bits and pieces of the night. Between the bar and buying booze at the gas station afterward I spent upward of 70 dollars. And that's nothing new. Tonight I paced back and forth down the liquor aisle before finally deciding to leave. I haven't kept up with salat in over a week. I'm in rough shape, and I have a decision to make.

I need to commit to recovery. I dropped my classes to ease some of the load and I'm getting a full time job instead. Instead of putting pressure on myself to be a good Muslim, I just need to do the best that I can. It will all come in good time Inshallah. I heard somewhere that if I drink alcohol that my salat will not be accepted for 40 days. Well, whatever. I'm going to do it anyway. I need guidance more than ever.

I want so badly to quit for good. Addiction has to be the closest thing to earthly hellfire; I couldn't adequately describe it with any words in the English language.

So I suppose I don't know what I'm asking for. Just some non-judgmental support.
        :wswrwb:

Don't worry you can do it because nothing is impossible! You just have to train your brain. You know you don't need it but your brain triggers you, making you think you need it, it's a bad habit that you have to change by training your brain.

It looks like stress is one of the reasons you turn to alcohol for. Are you in the UK? Get in touch with your local GP and ask them if you can join a therapy class (it should be free). It can help you to cope with stress.

Hang around on the forum for support :insha:

Take it easy and all the best!
        'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Working...
        X