Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make Muslim friends?

Asalam alaikum

I'm going off to college soon alhamdulillah, but it's in the US and I'm concerned I won't be able to make Muslim friends. I've always had non-Muslim friends as my close friends and of course I now realize that's wrong and thus decided to "start fresh" at college. My concern is that the majority will already have cliques and won't be as friendly towards me. I don't want to end up lonely and making kaafir friends (that's precisely why my friends are baiscally all kuffar :/). So, any advice? Also, is it haram to make a study group with non-Muslims? Jzk

Re: How to make Muslim friends?

*Bump*

Comment

**Bump**

Comment

Maybe just hang around in the prayer room all day you will meet all the practising muslims and they will be really friendly too.
        Narrated by Anas ibn Malik RA: Allah's Messenger :saw: said. "When a woman observes the five times of prayer, fasts during Ramadan, preserves her chastity and obeys her husband, she may enter by any of the gates of Paradise she wishes."

Comment

Comment

Most of my friends i've met in college/uni are muslim. I don't go out looking for muslim people around the campus, but rather it is a natural process that happens once you attend the prayer room enough. If they are good practising muslims you should be able to meet them there anyway, and then just ask them whether you want to pray in congregation together. And there, you have met other muslims and most likely they are in the same boat as you and are new there. Plus you become better friends because you both go to the prayer room at the same time of day, so your days match and your schedule is kind of similar and you are both more convenient as friends to eachother.

Comment

i found it hard, esp for an outsider like me :(
              Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
              Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthanasia View Post
                Hey bro İm American too

My advice is when you get to university go explore and see what demographic of people are there. İf you live in a more diverse state your chance of meeting Muslim broş is a lot higher. İf you dont really look like a Muslim
                How does one 'look like a Muslim'?

What physical attributes would make one look like a Muslim, besides of course hijab or a beard? :S
                “Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence.”

Comment

Originally posted by Pikaia View Post
                  How does one 'look like a Muslim'?

What physical attributes would make one look like a Muslim, besides of course hijab or a beard? :S
                  I dont know a lot of men in America wear kuffees in public. Some wear thobes. The beard is usually the indicative sign but you should know that. Muslims have to differentiate themselves from the non-Muslims. Also geographically if you are able to look at someone and have a decent guess at where they are from you can wager whether or not they are Muslim.

Comment

Jzk to all the answers. This brings up the question I asked on the lounge, but where's the line between "friends" and "friendliness"? They're offering a job this summer where I get payed to help people (all guys) move into their dorms. I'd have to help non-Muslim guys of course, but is this too friendly? What if someone asks me to show them around the city a little so they could see where to eat/wash their clothes/entertainment that is appropriate? Is that also too friendly? I'm just naturally a helpful person and I love to help others in whatever way is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by worshiper View Post
                      Jzk to all the answers. This brings up the question I asked on the lounge, but where's the line between "friends" and "friendliness"? They're offering a job this summer where I get payed to help people (all guys) move into their dorms. I'd have to help non-Muslim guys of course, but is this too friendly? What if someone asks me to show them around the city a little so they could see where to eat/wash their clothes/entertainment that is appropriate? Is that also too friendly? I'm just naturally a helpful person and I love to help others in whatever way is possible.
                      All of your examples are most certainly not too friendly. They are still human, and all have potential to be a Muslim like you and you should view it that way. Yet until that day comes (Allah help them become Muslim) the line drawn is to take an acquaintance TO a friend. Keep things natural AND Professional. Maybe by you doing all these things it can make a spiritual impact on them. With this job theres greater good to come of it than any harm.

So make istikhara that this job would be good for you, and if so then pursue it. Yet when it comes to meeting some guys and they want to be friends just be careful, generally non-Muslims cant add much to your life due to all the differences in lifestyle. Yet if maintaining some sort of communication increases dawah or brings them to İslam you must do that.

İn short. Always help people just keep it business Professional. Do what you must and dont exaggerate overly. İf you are a helpful person then Allah reward you İ wouldnt stress overly about these things, if you are unsure about the job pray istikhara. Muslims and Non-Muslims naturally have a lifestyle segregation but it shouldnt be so severe that its a US vs. THEM type of life. İf the non-Muslims see us in these settings there can hopefully be a sense of understanding and can erase a lot of the ignorance that is polluting their minds about Muslims.

Comment

Working...
                      X