Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thobe or shalwar kameez?

Salam alaikum

I really need to stop dressing like a kafir,I plan to give away most of my clothes as they aren't really appropriate for a muslim. The fact my pants show the inside of my thigh/crotch is what really bothers me,no longer appropriate in my opinion. I try to wear the loosest pants I have but I want something that completely covers my crotch and inner thigh to the knee.

I have two options locally for Islamic clothing,thobes/jubbas or shalwar khameez.

I've building myslef up to this as I already get flak for my beard but I just don't care about people opinions anymore,If ALLAH awj commands me directly or through the Beloved Nabi saw that's what matters.

So which would be better?

Re: Thobe or shalwar kameez?

Why not both, br Samsandman? Try out both types of clothing... Personally, I prefer thawb..with collars as they look a little smarter.

I grew up wearing the khameez style ones but stopped pretty much around late teens.. Have been wearing thawbs ever since. Don't have to worry about the front flying around in the wind. Alhamdulillah, obviously the better shape you are in, the better the fit, but thawbs are simple, elegant and convenient (unless you need to sprint!). Plus, it means you can keep a lot of the lower garments you already have without having to buy new ones to match the upper garments...
    Last edited by Fakhri; 22-03-16, 03:37 AM.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Comment

walykum al salaam

ive worn a thobe my whole life but .... def go with the shalwar kameez .. its seems u can move around a lot more with it , i dunno..

when i excersice i use my shortened tracksuits or my other shorts that are long
      Last edited by Ibn Taleb; 22-03-16, 03:44 AM.
      The Prophet (saw) advised to: “Take benefit of five before five: Your youth before your old age, your health before your sickness, your wealth before your poverty, your free time before you are preoccupied, and your life before your death
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgE...kS-Qi3nf3tcvPw

Comment

Thank you for the responses.

I was thinking that thobe looks more formal but restrictive and those shalwar khameez look pretty comfy.

Both seems like a good idea,

I figure I can keep all my white t-shirts,undershirts,underwear and some pants along with my coats and jackets. I Actually thinking of getting rid of my leather jackets as the skin was probably harvested from a non-halal animal and that kinda,a little bit, bothers me.

Comment

Thobe looks better but shalwar kameez is better.
          You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

I prefer to wear tracks suits or loose sporty wear even for official purposes. Lol. Some people think i'm wierd like that but who cares. I find it more comfortable and convenient than the thobe/ khamees .
            “ I try to be El diplomatique ~Abu General El Diplomatique

Comment

So I guess it's a toss up between comfort and style. Think I'll try both.

I think the khameez would win if they came with hoods,I've seen thobes with hoods and I really like wearing a baggy hoodie when I pray as it blocks out my peripheral vision.

It's like blinders on a horse,keeps me focused on the task at hand.

I find a lot of guys fidget a lot in congregational prayer and it distracts me so I like to pull the hood up and block them out.

I wanted to elbow the guy beside me in Juma last week as he kept looking at his watch and then checking his fingernails.

SO ANNOYING!!!!!

Stand still and don't look around. not the clock,not the imam,not the guy next to you.

annoys me as much as guys who air-hump like jews do.
              Last edited by Samsandman; 22-03-16, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Both fulfill the requirements but shalwar kameez is a more practical dress.

Comment

Shalwar kameez is superior to thawb.

Comment

Shalwar Khameez > Thobe

The only problem is it looks funny on people who aren't brown.

Comment

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
                      Shalwar Khameez > Thobe

The only problem is it looks funny on people who aren't brown.
                      Assalam alaikum

your absolutely right.
                      Tried it for awhile and nope,I'm WAAAY too white to be walking around in either,especially in Redneck Canada.

Draws too much attention and Hasad ,mostly nonsense but put me in jeopardy a couple times.

Now the official uniform is a long,baggy plain white T-shirt and my specially shortened cargo pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Samsandman View Post

Assalam alaikum

your absolutely right.
                        Tried it for awhile and nope,I'm WAAAY too white to be walking around in either,especially in Redneck Canada.

Draws too much attention and Hasad ,mostly nonsense but put me in jeopardy a couple times.

Now the official uniform is a long,baggy plain white T-shirt and my specially shortened cargo pants.
                        wa alaykum salam

That's hilarious. But you know, there's something "spiritual satisfying" about praying in a thobe which the cargo pants and white-T cannot provide. I think you should reconsider if it's possible.

Comment

People Who Say It Is Unnecessary To Wear Thobe? | Mufti Muneer

Comment

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post

wa alaykum salam

That's hilarious. But you know, there's something "spiritual satisfying" about praying in a thobe which the cargo pants and white-T cannot provide. I think you should reconsider if it's possible.
                            I find the satisfaction comes in following the sunnah, it's the white garments I find satisfaction in

https://sunnah.com/urn/1278190

This clothing subject that came up locally in my Masjid and I also sought out several fatawa,one specifically from the above Shaykh,so it's funny you quote him.
                            He's a nice guy but his argument was invalid and he actually dropped his position as it wasn't defendable due to his own fondness for Kung Fu jackets and brightly colored socks,

Of all the issues with clothing (for Men) that were talked about the answers I was least satisfied with were the ones concerning Pants.

The style of thobes worn in the Gulf now are not historical and totally impractical for everyday life in Canada unless all you do is stay in the masjid to pray but with that said dressing up the kuffar is also not advisable so a middle ground must me sought.

We brought up the obvious problem with modern gulf style thobes with the Imam locally, since we can't run in a thobe easily, we can't fight jihad in them so doesn't that make them Haraam?

He refused to answer that question as he was being led in into a debate which would end badly for him,as they usually do.
                            Problem is the "Shayook" that are coming out of the U of M seems to be acting as agents for the Saudi government in how they give fatawa and the above question pretty much proved that

I have 3 locally and the are causing massive division and fitnah as they say the dumbest things and make some super sketchy decision.
                            They've destroyed their credibility and made some people VERY mad.

But back to clothing,
                            Modified off the shelf cargo pants are the best that can be done without actually MAKING sharia compliant pants from scratch.

A Brother from Morocco showed up with these pants he got back home,Made from denim like blue jeans the crotch comes down to the knee and it has the 5 pocket design
                            but also has cargo pockets and belt loops. the leg of the pant comes halfway down the calf.

They are THE most brilliant design ever and have never seen anything like them.

We can't buy them here at all and since I was already learning to sew to fix the pant legs on the cargo pants I decided to make some but as it turns out making clothes is actually kinda hard.
                            the morocaan pants are made differently than jeans so we have to reverse engineer them and make patterns,find materials,etc.

These pants are the answer to our issues in Canada,what people do in other countries is up to them but we have a unique set of geographical challenges here due to our climate and surronding society.

Comment

Originally posted by Samsandman View Post

I find the satisfaction comes in following the sunnah, it's the white garments I find satisfaction in

https://sunnah.com/urn/1278190

This clothing subject that came up locally in my Masjid and I also sought out several fatawa,one specifically from the above Shaykh,so it's funny you quote him.
                              He's a nice guy but his argument was invalid and he actually dropped his position as it wasn't defendable due to his own fondness for Kung Fu jackets and brightly colored socks,

Of all the issues with clothing (for Men) that were talked about the answers I was least satisfied with were the ones concerning Pants.

The style of thobes worn in the Gulf now are not historical and totally impractical for everyday life in Canada unless all you do is stay in the masjid to pray but with that said dressing up the kuffar is also not advisable so a middle ground must me sought.

We brought up the obvious problem with modern gulf style thobes with the Imam locally, since we can't run in a thobe easily, we can't fight jihad in them so doesn't that make them Haraam?

He refused to answer that question as he was being led in into a debate which would end badly for him,as they usually do.
                              Problem is the "Shayook" that are coming out of the U of M seems to be acting as agents for the Saudi government in how they give fatawa and the above question pretty much proved that

I have 3 locally and the are causing massive division and fitnah as they say the dumbest things and make some super sketchy decision.
                              They've destroyed their credibility and made some people VERY mad.

But back to clothing,
                              Modified off the shelf cargo pants are the best that can be done without actually MAKING sharia compliant pants from scratch.

A Brother from Morocco showed up with these pants he got back home,Made from denim like blue jeans the crotch comes down to the knee and it has the 5 pocket design
                              but also has cargo pockets and belt loops. the leg of the pant comes halfway down the calf.

They are THE most brilliant design ever and have never seen anything like them.

We can't buy them here at all and since I was already learning to sew to fix the pant legs on the cargo pants I decided to make some but as it turns out making clothes is actually kinda hard.
                              the morocaan pants are made differently than jeans so we have to reverse engineer them and make patterns,find materials,etc.

These pants are the answer to our issues in Canada,what people do in other countries is up to them but we have a unique set of geographical challenges here due to our climate and surronding society.

1. The Shaykh doesn't believe that it's Wajib to wear "Islamic clothing", and he didn't change his view. The video I posted literally came out yesterday

2. It's better to wear Islamic clothing (thobes, shalwar khameez, etc) because of its spiritual benefits. It reminds you of Islam and protects you from evil

3. Post a picture of the Morrocon pants, inshaAllah

Comment

Working...
                              X