Car: Something you must have or Something you must enjoy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car: Something you must have or Something you must enjoy

For those who live in area without good public transportation, how do you feel about cars? Is it just another mean of going from point A to point B. Or is it something you spent many hours in and should be enjoyable as well as functionable.

I am car shopping now as my current car is almost dying. I have always been like the first group where car is another mode of transportation & as long as it is reliable & presentable its good. The less gadgets it has the better (less distraction n less repairs). But now that I am getting older, my wants in life are becoming more prominent. My mind/body wants comfort & enjoyment on top of basic needs.

Typically the cheap-o in me would push the little greedy voice in my head & go for something like Toyota Corolla that fits the basic need. But due to my current living situation (living with bro-inlaws family even thought financially we can move out, I have old post on that), I feel like "what the hack, if I can't have nice house to live in after working and saving for all these years then I might as well get nicer car. That's the next closest thing to a home".

Then the realist in my kicks in and says "don't make a decision based on temporary situation". Then the other voice kicks in and says "temporary? its almost 2 years. Just go enjoy your life". Confused

Re: Car: Something you must have or Something you must enjoy

:salams

Even a nice car will lose its glamour after a month or so.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

A necessity

Not into cars but if i have the cash i would buy a qood make not ford ka. i can't drive small cars because i just kill the engine :/

something that can handle my driving and not constantly end up at the garage *snorts
      'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Go for the basic car.
        Narrated Anas:
        The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "None of you will have faith till he wishes for his (Muslim) brother what he likes for himself." [Bukhari]

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
          A necessity

Not into cars but if i have the cash i would buy a qood make not ford ka. i can't drive small cars because i just kill the engine :/

something that can handle my driving and not constantly end up at the garage *snorts
          How do you kill engine on smaller cars? I am not fan of big car but I have had few rentals that were crossovers. I can handle crossover but anything bigger not going to work. The basic is good but realize we spent at least an hour/day in car and driving far distance becomes much more pleasant in nicer car than a basic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kya View Post
            How do you kill engine on smaller cars? I am not fan of big car but I have had few rentals that were crossovers. I can handle crossover but anything bigger not going to work. The basic is good but realize we spent at least an hour/day in car and driving far distance becomes much more pleasant in nicer car than a basic.
            i'm a LUNATIC but good driver that's why, I have issues with gear sticks that are like toys.

The car has to be medium sized, big cars are just a nightmare to drive and with my fantastic skills i'm not going near a big car.

what makes do you like? Toyota is such a typical asian car :rotfl:

auto/manual?

Volvo? it's a bit manly though otherwise good luxurious saloons are alright

Or if you want, get a MERCEDES/AUDI they must have an eco friendly one
            'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
              i'm a LUNATIC but good driver that's why, I have issues with gear sticks that are like toys.

The car has to be medium sized, big cars are just a nightmare to drive and with my fantastic skills i'm not going near a big car.

what makes do you like? Toyota is such a typical asian car :rotfl:

auto/manual?

Volvo? it's a bit manly though otherwise good luxurious saloons are alright

Or if you want, get a MERCEDES/AUDI they must have an eco friendly one
              I don't want luxury car. I will leave that for my husband who loves Mercedes. I did look into used Audi but to-be honest I don't like the comfort of luxury car. I feel like I was in another world (separated from the road, enjoying my time). Those are all nice and dandy but I feel like it took my mind off of road & I was less alert because I am less aware of noise & crap happening on the road. I don't think I like my drive to be too comfortable, my husband on the other hand will love that.

All the cars in USA are Auto, hard to find manual. I use to think Toyota and Honda were so Asian, old school. But in my research I learned Toyota is #1 selling car in USA for last few decades now.

I had high hopes for Subaru Legacy, especially because of All wheel drive. But I test drove one yesterday & I had hard time reaching paddle. It was too bulky and reminded me of Chrysler 300. Not what I am looking for. It was a nice ride, closer to luxury drive than Toyota. But ergonomically, I didn't feel comfortable in the car. I am focusing on crossover (Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V) vs. compact car (Corolla, Mazda 3). But I am still searching.

Comment

[MENTION=43833]Kya[/MENTION]

my dad suggested one and then I browsed around and found it, I like it and I think you should go and check it out.

We have had the car for a while now, good for its age and everything else.

Toyota is a good car, so now wonder it's number one.

Comment

Well i was gonna buy a new car as well, but then i was lyk "why spend 10.000 if i can have one for 1000" and i payed abt 1100 for my car i have now, its abt 20y old but its perfect, like im in luv, im not ever letting it go. Mi bebe

I couldnt deal with public transport, i was carless for abt a month and i only ate meat twice in that time bc it was so boring tryna go to town, having to walk from the station to the shop and back with a bunch of heavy bags that basically cut off my blood supply to my arms, having to gind some suitable bush where i can change into my jilbab in bc my parents forbid me to wear it ughh hate public transport so much
                  يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

I use to think Toyota/Honda are brown cars to,but actually there really good maintenance wise, even the new models are high end if you get them fully loaded. Some of the new Civic look like if your in a jet or something. My brother has the 2015 Camry and it has seat warmers, built in GPS, when you reverse it shows you the video in the back, etc. So those cars also have many luxury in them nowadays too,

Personally speaking I'd stick with Honda/Toyota, after that Nissan/Subaru. If you want a little higher, Lexus/Audi and higher then that BMW/Benz is your options.

Comment

If I could make a personal recommendation since you are in the US, I'd recommend an Acura. They are the higher end of Honda, same manufacturer but affordable high end. And comes with just the right amount of bells and whistles and are pretty damn reliable. Toyota and Honda are excellent cars, I have/ had both but if you want something slightly nicer, I'd go for Acura. Like I said, same line as Honda.

Lexus is the higher end of Toyota so they will also be great cars. And I think having your own car is a more of a necessity rather than a want.
                      Last edited by Plumeria; 11-02-16, 12:35 PM.
                      Allah gave us two ears and one mouth, so we can listen more and talk less.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X