Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muslim Communities In The UK - Where's The Best Place To Live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslim Communities In The UK - Where's The Best Place To Live?

Asalaamu alaikum brothers and sisters

I'm just intrigued to know where is good to live in the UK as a Muslim?

I am a revert and was living in Manchester when I first converted, where there is a lovely Muslim community and great supportive network for new Muslims masha'Allah. Due to some personal circumstances, however, I have now moved back to my home town in the Midlands. Although I'm loving being close to my family again, there is really not much of an Islamic community round here, no study circles or tajweed classes local to me which I took for granted in Manchester.

I'm planning insha'Allah to set up my life in a new city, as I don't want to return to Manchester, but would like to be somewhere where there is a good amount of mosques, adult study circles and classes, and plenty of friendly muslims to befriend. (I don't have any Muslim friends where I live now).

I'm thinking of either Cardiff, Leicestershire, or Birmingham.... But am wondering if anyone on here has any advice, or can share what they love or don't love about areas you live in, or any advice you could offer?

Jazakhallah khair :)

Re: Muslim Communities In The UK - Where's The Best Place To Live?

Originally posted by Rashiqa View Post
    Asalaamu alaikum brothers and sisters

I'm just intrigued to know where is good to live in the UK as a Muslim?

I am a revert and was living in Manchester when I first converted, where there is a lovely Muslim community and great supportive network for new Muslims masha'Allah. Due to some personal circumstances, however, I have now moved back to my home town in the Midlands. Although I'm loving being close to my family again, there is really not much of an Islamic community round here, no study circles or tajweed classes local to me which I took for granted in Manchester.

I'm planning insha'Allah to set up my life in a new city, as I don't want to return to Manchester, but would like to be somewhere where there is a good amount of mosques, adult study circles and classes, and plenty of friendly muslims to befriend. (I don't have any Muslim friends where I live now).

I'm thinking of either Cardiff, Leicestershire, or Birmingham.... But am wondering if anyone on here has any advice, or can share what they love or don't love about areas you live in, or any advice you could offer?

Jazakhallah khair :)
    wa alaykumus salaam sister,

I don't know Cardiff, however Leicester and Birmingham I do know. Leicester does have plenty of classes, though not many aimed just as new Muslim sisters but there are good classes at Masjid Taqwa and Masjid Furqan.

Birmingham has many more classes, but there is a lot of hizbiyyah also, different groups and different factions within those groups falling out and fighting.
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
      wa alaykumus salaam sister,

I don't know Cardiff, however Leicester and Birmingham I do know. Leicester does have plenty of classes, though not many aimed just as new Muslim sisters but there are good classes at Masjid Taqwa and Masjid Furqan.

Birmingham has many more classes, but there is a lot of hizbiyyah also, different groups and different factions within those groups falling out and fighting.
      That's a very harsh outlook on Birmingham that you have provided.

Each area has their good and bad points..

In fact I had gone to Cardiff a few months ago and was surprised at the Muslim community and facilities there.

The thing is though, that there's no one size fits all. We all prefer different things in society..

So I'd recommend you to go and maybe spend from Dhuhr till 'Isha or something in a few of these areas (take a friend with you as well to explore!) talk to the peeps of the community, so you can make an informed decision.

Remember before making any move, make sure you pray Salaatul Istikhaarah. If you don't know what that is, ask a scholar, who will guide you through it, inshaAllah.

May Allah make your feet firm on the straight path, the path that leads to the pleasure of Allah, the path that our predecessors have found success on, and accept all the sacrifice that one undergoes in order to keep his feet firm.

Ameen
      وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمۡ ءَامِنُواْ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلنَّاسُ قَالُوٓاْ أَنُؤۡمِنُ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ*ۗ أَلَآ إِنَّهُمۡ هُمُ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ وَلَـٰكِن لَّا يَعۡلَمُونَ

And when it is said unto them: believe as the people believe, they say: Shall we believe as the foolish believe? Beware! They indeed are the foolish? But they know not.
      Al Baqarah : Verse 13

Comment

Originally posted by i.badat View Post
        That's a very harsh outlook on Birmingham that you have provided.

Each area has their good and bad points..

In fact I had gone to Cardiff a few months ago and was surprised at the Muslim community and facilities there.

The thing is though, that there's no one size fits all. We all prefer different things in society..

So I'd recommend you to go and maybe spend from Dhuhr till 'Isha or something in a few of these areas (take a friend with you as well to explore!) talk to the peeps of the community, so you can make an informed decision.

Remember before making any move, make sure you pray Salaatul Istikhaarah. If you don't know what that is, ask a scholar, who will guide you through it, inshaAllah.

May Allah make your feet firm on the straight path, the path that leads to the pleasure of Allah, the path that our predecessors have found success on, and accept all the sacrifice that one undergoes in order to keep his feet firm.

Ameen
        bruv, I am just saying it as I see it. And this partisanship is the main reason many people choose not to move to Birmingham as opposed to other UK cities and it's certainly the reason I chose Leicester over Birmingham... well that and at the time being put off by the prospect of my future kids coming home from classes with a brummie dialect... shudder.

There are many more places to study, better bookshops, bigger and better masaajid but everyone just seems to be refuting each other and falling out way too much and most people don't want the drama.
        FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
          bruv, I am just saying it as I see it. And this partisanship is the main reason many people choose not to move to Birmingham as opposed to other UK cities and it's certainly the reason I chose Leicester over Birmingham... well that and at the time being put off by the prospect of my future kids coming home from classes with a brummie dialect... shudder.

There are many more places to study, better bookshops, bigger and better masaajid but everyone just seems to be refuting each other and falling out way too much and most people don't want the drama.
          You're totally entitled to your opinion, bro. And tbh my personal opinion would be somewhat along them lines as well whilst speaking generally..

It was just that my opinion (2 pence worth) is that he should gain better information before making such a decision..

I mean, seen as he's from the Midlands to start off with, (East or West..?? lol) I wouldn't want him to write off the 2 areas most suitable for him geographically, in terms of closeness to his family home, etc.

And I'm sure Brummie has some good areas as well as bad areas.
          وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمۡ ءَامِنُواْ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلنَّاسُ قَالُوٓاْ أَنُؤۡمِنُ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ*ۗ أَلَآ إِنَّهُمۡ هُمُ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ وَلَـٰكِن لَّا يَعۡلَمُونَ

And when it is said unto them: believe as the people believe, they say: Shall we believe as the foolish believe? Beware! They indeed are the foolish? But they know not.
          Al Baqarah : Verse 13

Comment

Birmingham, Leicester are the main two.
            Walsall has a good size muslim community too and loads of mosques as well.
            Allah is always watching [VIDEO]

How To Weep For The Fear Of Allah

Please remember to share these links with people you know so they can also benefit from them. :jkk:

Comment

Ameen
              Ameen

Comment

Jazakhallah khair guys, some good points to consider. It's always interesting to hear from people who actually live in the areas and have a better understanding than someone with an outside perspective.

Good advice on the istikhara too, will definitely focus on that before making any final decisions.

Are there any other areas in the UK that I haven't mentioned that people know about with a good Muslim community?

To the brother who questioned whether I was east or west Midlands, I live in the East, in Northamptonshire :) It's a nice area, but not somewhere I would want to settle and bring up my future children insha'Allah, as the Islamic community just isn't very strong here.

Comment

You're totally entitled to your opinion, bro. And tbh my personal opinion would be somewhat along them lines as well whilst speaking generally..

It was just that my opinion (2 pence worth) is that he should gain better information before making such a decision..

I mean, seen as he's from the Midlands to start off with, (East or West..?? lol) I wouldn't want him to write off the 2 areas most suitable for him geographically, in terms of closeness to his family home, etc.

And I'm sure Brummie has some good areas as well as bad areas.
                  Yes, you are correct in some respects, we should check out an area ourselves, and see whether it is good for our own personal circumstances. Alhamdulillah I'm close enough to Birmingham to attend good talks, and take advantage of the book shops as well as the many good halal places to eat and far enough away I don't need to deal with the negatives.

Comment

Working...
                  X