Shaking Hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaking Hands

My understanding is that it's not proper to shake hands with women who aren't my immediate family.

I am confused because at the masjid yesterday, I met an older sister there, and was almost compelled to shake her hand. I suppose it's not as bad if she's older, but still, is this not frowned on?

I say almost compelled for this reason: I'm visually impaired, so couldn't see she had her hand out. The brother next to me took my hand and led it towards hers. I didn't want to be rude, and I thought perhaps I was mistaken.

Could I have clarification on this?

Re: Shaking Hands

Originally posted by devbanana View Post
    My understanding is that it's not proper to shake hands with women who aren't my immediate family.

I am confused because at the masjid yesterday, I met an older sister there, and was almost compelled to shake her hand. I suppose it's not as bad if she's older, but still, is this not frowned on?

I say almost compelled for this reason: I'm visually impaired, so couldn't see she had her hand out. The brother next to me took my hand and led it towards hers. I didn't want to be rude, and I thought perhaps I was mistaken.

Could I have clarification on this?
    the Messenger of Allah that he said: “It would be better for one of you to have himself stabbed on the head with an iron nail than to touch a non-mahram woman.” [Tabarani, al-Mu`jam al-Kabir]

It was narrated that Umaymah the daughter of Raqeeqah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “I do not shake hands with women.”

Narrated by al-Nasaa’i (4181) and Ibn Maajah, 2874;

As for elderly women for which there is no kind of desire towards then some ulama have permitted it.

Comment

https://islamqa.info/en/21183

The ruling on shaking hands with the opposite gender is clear.

You were in a tough spot because you were almost forced to shake her hand. But I think it could have been avoided. Maybe it takes for a woman (who puts out her hand to non-mahram men) to be embarrassed once or twice for her to get the picture and that it is haraam.

I would also not use "frowned upon" for this, because usually people say this for something that is prohibited culturally. This obviously has nothing to do with culture but the sharee'ah.

Comment

Originally posted by A.Basheer View Post
        https://islamqa.info/en/21183

The ruling on shaking hands with the opposite gender is clear.

You were in a tough spot because you were almost forced to shake her hand. But I think it could have been avoided. Maybe it takes for a woman (who puts out her hand to non-mahram men) to be embarrassed once or twice for her to get the picture and that it is haraam.

I would also not use "frowned upon" for this, because usually people say this for something that is prohibited culturally. This obviously has nothing to do with culture but the sharee'ah.

Thank you. I said “frowned upon” because I wasn't certain. There were several things I thought were forbidden, but people at the Mosque said it wasn't so, and said that things are different in western culture. So I thought perhaps I was wrong about shaking hands being forbidden.

Comment

Originally posted by devbanana View Post
          Thank you. I said “frowned upon” because I wasn't certain. There were several things I thought were forbidden, but people at the Mosque said it wasn't so, and said that things are different in western culture. So I thought perhaps I was wrong about shaking hands being forbidden.
          Sounds like a bad mosque.
          You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Working...
          X