Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can these situations be considered ok for zakat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can these situations be considered ok for zakat?

Salaam,

I have two situations I need to know if it is ok for zakat:

1) i loaned a friend a significant amount of money a year ago because he had fallen on hard times. i told him to pay back whenever he can, but i suspect he may not be able to. i am ok to forgive this loan. it is a few thousand.

2) one of my in-laws is out of a job, but i cannot tell if he is in hard times. i think he may be. wife wants to give him money, which i know i won't collect back if he takes it. can i secretly call it zakat and give it to him, without telling him or wife that i intend it as zakat? or would it not be considered as zakat? it is several thousand dollars and may cause a hardship on me when it comes time to pay zakat anyway.
    لآ اِلَهَ اِلّا اللّهُ مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُوُل اللّهِ

Re: can these situations be considered ok for zakat?

1) You can't convert a loan into zakah afaik.
    2) I think yes but not sure
    You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Re: can these situations be considered ok for zakat?

there are strict rules regarding zakat, there is a certain amount of assets you can have (nisab) and I have heard even some beggars dont qualify for zakat because they got enough money or assets to be above the amount that you can have and still get zakat.

If you arent even sure and just think your relative may be in hard times no you cant just assume he qualifies and secretly call it zakat, it needs to be checked whether he qualifies or not. Note its not just money he has, if he has gold, silver, cattle. merchandise, crops,that might affect the amount to. Also there are some people who are not poor who sometimes qualify for zakat,.( one example is if someone is appointed to collect zakat funds he can be paid a salary from the zakat funds)

You can
      1) ask him to check with his imam or scholar whether he is qualified to get zakat
      2)give it as charity (sadaqah) which is also very rewarding
      3) give an interest free loan which probably would need to be written and witnessed as indicated in Sura Baqara

there are also restrictions on what zakat funds can be used for, its generally to help the needy directly, not for charitable purposes such as building masjids, etc.

as far as waiving a loan for someone in hardship, its very rewarding and I think it qualifies as sadaqa however when you are giving zakat you are supposed to have the niyat

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
      X