Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Requirement for Names

Originally posted by devbanana View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I figured this was the case. How soon after conversion do people usually change their names? I've chosen the name that I want. My wife is still working on finding one that she likes.
    You should change it as soon as you can like atleast within months so people get used to calling you that and it's better to change it earlier
    Yeah it's better to change it.
    Welcome to Islam brother xD

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Walaikum salam
    Yes she needs to change since her name literally means "follower of christ".

Either choose a new name or a muslim name, either way works I think :)
    Here you said she NEEDS to change her name so you are indicating her name is haram.

Originally posted by zantz View Post
    The problem is its a bit like imitating kuffar, who calls eesa christ but the christian. Someone called christine would be by default thought to be christian or athiest. I think its best we differentiate from kuffar allahu3lam
    But Muslim scholars also i heard him call Isa pbuh as christ I don't think it's wrong since messiah means the same thing. I guess it's best if she chooses another name.

I can't be bothered debating with someone who considers the christian name of "follower of christ" as a "good name"....

This isn't even the same as other christian names such as Michael, which is okay I think to still have. Christine is straight out an inappropriate name.
    I never said it was a "good name"I just was countering your arguments. And you are debating me tsk tsk

Because these names are are just names, they are nothing more than names and does not have a special meaning.

Christine however means literally follower of christ.

Problem here is that you need to check again, no one declaring it haram. Saying something is inappropriate for a muslim doesn't mean that it's haram. Saying something is disliked, doesn't mean it's haram.

For example naming yourself after the Angels peace be upon them all is makrooh (disliked), but you have muslims who use the names because it's not haram.

But this is nothing as being named of being a follower of a Christianity, the name was created by christians to denote that this person follows the teaching of Christianity, the fact that you cannot understand this is an inappropiate name is beyond me.
    Some of those names have deeper meanings to it -_- not all names are meaningless....example Matthew means Gift of the Lord

You did imply it's haram by using the word "need" meaning it is required to change it only haram names are required to be changed.
    Exactly so don't use the word need to change for disliked things. It could still be allowed.

As for Muslims having names of angels, there's difference of opinion on that , Imam Nawawi said it's allowed without dislike http://seekershub.org/ans-blog/2013/...mes-of-angels/ and that is the opinion of most maddhabs I believe atleast the Shafi'i and Hanafi Maddhab :D
    http://islamqa.org/shafii/qibla-shafii/33344

I was looking at the original meaning of the word so that's why I guess we didn't see eye to eye...but I am agreeing it's more appropriate to change her name.

[MENTION=136350]devbanana[/MENTION] ask your wife to look for names on these sites
    http://www.names4muslims.com/muslim-...irl-names.html
    http://www.searchtruth.com/baby_name...ind=2&letter=A

They will say, "Had we but listened or used our intelligence, we would not be among the companions of the Blazing Fire." Qur'an 67:10 💚💙💜

Comment

I agree. I love the name Aisha, but she doesn't like it so much. :(

I chose the name Abdullah. I love the name and what it stands for.
      Don't listen to Qiyamah, she likes to talk a lot of air which brings nothing to the table. She is trying to make it seem as if a christian name which was derived from christians to mean that they follow christianity is a "good biblical name" when there is no such. Her latest post says she didn't say it was a good name but as per post 3 and 5 it proves it wrong. The name Christine is a bad name for a muslim.

Anyways, you have the names Aisha, Asiya (one of the best women in Islam), Maryam (the best woman in Islam), Fatima etc etc

These are what I can come up with on top of my head :>
      "There will never cease to remain a group from my Ummah fighting upon the command of Allah, subjugating their enemies. They are not harmed by those who oppose them, until the Hour arrives".

Comment

[MENTION=135406]Qiyamah[/MENTION] Why are you even defending such names? Even if it's okay, a more Islamic name is still infinitely better.

Comment

Don't listen to Qiyamah, she likes to talk a lot of air which brings nothing to the table. She is trying to make it seem as if a christian name which was derived from christians to mean that they follow christianity is a "good biblical name" when there is no such. Her latest post says she didn't say it was a good name but as per post 3 and 5 it proves it wrong. The name Christine is a bad name for a muslim.

Anyways, you have the names Aisha, Asiya (one of the best women in Islam), Maryam (the best woman in Islam), Fatima etc etc

These are what I can come up with on top of my head :>
          Thank you.

How would be this name? http://www.names4muslims.com/name/asiya-asiyah.html

I know it's not one of the main popular ones. She likes this one though. And how would that one be written in Arabic?

Comment

Thank you.

How would be this name? http://www.names4muslims.com/name/asiya-asiyah.html

I know it's not one of the main popular ones. She likes this one though. And how would that one be written in Arabic?
            She was one of the best Woman in Islam who were promised paradise.
            I personally love this name as well as the name Aisha which is the mother of the believers, the beloved wife of our prophet :saw:

This name Asiya however is the name of the one of the best women ever existing in Islam. Her name was Asiya bint Muzahim. In arabic her name is spelt آسية which means Asiyah

She, peace upon her was married to the worst man in the history of mankind, that is Fir'awn (Pharao). She declared her faith and was tortured by her husbands order until she achieved martyrdom hence her great status when she accepted the religion of Moses a.s.
            "There will never cease to remain a group from my Ummah fighting upon the command of Allah, subjugating their enemies. They are not harmed by those who oppose them, until the Hour arrives".

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
              [MENTION=135406]Qiyamah[/MENTION] Why are you even defending such names? Even if it's okay, a more Islamic name is still infinitely better.
              You should stand up for what you think is tru, no? But no one here's a scholar are they so op might aswell ask islamqa or an actual scholar
              [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][B][U][CENTER]Oh Allah, in your name, I die and live.[/CENTER][/U][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
              [CENTER]:):lailah::lailah::lailah::lailah::)[/CENTER]

[B][CENTER]Ya Allah, Grant Me A Heart That Sees[/CENTER][/B]

Comment

I have another question related to this. As it is common in the west, my wife has my surname. I have read that this is haram. Once she changes her name, what should she take as a last name?
                • Keep it as my last name
                • Change it to her father's last name
                • Change it to her father's first name, as I have seen elsewhere

Same really goes once I change mine, should my last name be my father's last name, or my father's first name?

Comment

Originally posted by zantz View Post
                  You should stand up for what you think is tru, no? But no one here's a scholar are they so op might aswell ask islamqa or an actual scholar
                  Exactly. You don't talk without knowledge, and your 'thoughts' don't replace the necessity to have knowledge about what you're saying.
                  You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

I have another question related to this. As it is common in the west, my wife has my surname. I have read that this is haram. Once she changes her name, what should she take as a last name?
                    • Keep it as my last name
                    • Change it to her father's last name
                    • Change it to her father's first name, as I have seen elsewhere

Same really goes once I change mine, should my last name be my father's last name, or my father's first name?
                    Her name should be like this

Aisha bint Ahmad

Ahmad is her father's name.

Your's should be

Abdullah bin Ali

Ali is your father's name.
                    You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post

Aisha bint Ahmad

Your's should be

Abdullah bin Ali

Thanks. On the legal papers, should the ibn or int be included, and as part of the last name or what?

Edit: Also, is there a difference between ibn and bin?
                      Last edited by devbanana; 21-01-16, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Exactly. You don't talk without knowledge, and your 'thoughts' don't replace the necessity to have knowledge about what you're saying.
                        I don't know whats up with her but she has this idea that people are declaring stuff haram here, especially targeting me when I have not said anything like that.

All I said was since here name is a christian one, follower of Christianity, she needs to change to a better name. Nowhere have I made it haram though, it's just not a fit name for a muslim.

Comment

Thanks. On the legal papers, should the ibn or int be included, and as part of the last name or what?

Edit: Also, is there a difference between ibn and bin?
                          I think Ibn is when at the beginning and bin is when it's not at the start.

Comment

Aisha bint Ahmad

Your's should be

Abdullah bin Ali

I always wondered, why do people write "Bin" instead of "Ibn"? In arabic when I read it, it says "ibn", hence my confusion.

Comment

I think Ibn is when at the beginning and bin is when it's not at the start.
                              Thank you. So then, should the “bin” or “bint” be included in the legal name?

E.G.: my wife's father's name is John. If she chooses the name Asiya, would her legal name become:

Asiya bint John

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X