Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requirement for Names

As-salamu alaykum

I have read that if one's name is associated with worship of anyone else than Allah (SWT), it is required to change one's name.

My wife's name is Christine. Is it required to change this name, since it is associated with Christ? If so, when is it required to do so?

Thank you for your responses.

Re: Requirement for Names

Originally posted by devbanana View Post
    As-salamu alaykum

I have read that if one's name is associated with worship of anyone else than Allah (SWT), it is required to change one's name.

My wife's name is Christine. Is it required to change this name, since it is associated with Christ? If so, when is it required to do so?

Thank you for your responses.
    Walaikum salam
    Yes she needs to change since her name literally means "follower of christ".

Either choose a new name or a muslim name, either way works I think :)
    "There will never cease to remain a group from my Ummah fighting upon the command of Allah, subjugating their enemies. They are not harmed by those who oppose them, until the Hour arrives".

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      Walaikum salam
      Yes she needs to change since her name literally means "follower of christ".

Either choose a new name or a muslim name, either way works I think :)
      http://www.islamawareness.net/Marriage/fatwa_13.html

They will say, "Had we but listened or used our intelligence, we would not be among the companions of the Blazing Fire." Qur'an 67:10 💚💙💜

Comment

Really, you don't know the difference between a western name and an islamic/muslim one?

The "islamic" ones are beautiful as they usually have good meanings behind them and the best of names are such as Ahmed, Muhammad and Abdallah etc.

The arabic ones are just as okay. Western names might be disliked.

And no, follower of christ is an inappropriate name, even the term "christ" is invented in their deen. His real name is not Jesus Christ. His name was Eesa Ibn Maryam a.s. Being a follower of christ means that you follow the christian teachings which are far away from Islam.
        "There will never cease to remain a group from my Ummah fighting upon the command of Allah, subjugating their enemies. They are not harmed by those who oppose them, until the Hour arrives".

Comment

Really, you don't know the difference between a western name and an islamic/muslim one?

The "islamic" ones are beautiful as they usually have good meanings behind them and the best of names are such as Ahmed, Muhammad and Abdallah etc.

The muslim/arabic ones are just as okay. Western names might be disliked.

And no, follower of christ is an inappropriate name, even the term "christ" is invented in their deen. His real name is not Jesus Christ. His name was Eesa Ibn Maryam a.s. Being a follower of christ means that you follow the christian teachings which are far away from Islam.
          Obv I know the difference between a nonarabic and an Arabic name, not all Muslims have Arabic names.

As long as the name with good meaning and not blasphemous it's islamically allowed idk what else u mean by Islamic. Even non Arabic names can be Islamically allowed.

Nonarabic names can have beautiful meanings too some Arabic names can have bad meanings too that's why the prophet :saw: changed some Arab's names.

Why is it inappropriate ? Muslims say they follow the way of Prophet Muhammad :saw: and Christ means the anointed one or chosen one in Greek even Yusuf Ali uses the title Christ for Prophet Isa pbuh in the translation of the Quran so do you think that's wrong too? Even Allah calls Jesus pbuh the messiah so that also means the anointed one so same meaning as Christ.
          So it's also haram to have the name Jesus?

---
          Quran 5:17

YUSUF ALI
          In blasphemy indeed are those that say that Allah is Christ the son of Mary. Say: "Who then hath the least power against Allah, if His will were to destroy Christ the son of Mary, his mother, and all every - one that is on the earth? For to Allah belongeth the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all that is between. He createth what He pleaseth. For Allah hath power over all things."

SAHIH INTERNATIONAL
          They have certainly disbelieved who say that Allah is Christ, the son of Mary. Say, "Then who could prevent Allah at all if He had intended to destroy Christ, the son of Mary, or his mother or everyone on the earth?" And to Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth and whatever is between them. He creates what He wills, and Allah is over all things competent.

http://quran.com/search?q=Christ

----
          Actually being a follower of Christ means you are following Jesus's pbuh teaching and yes Jesus wasn't his real name but the name is referring to the same prophet. Muslims say they follow Jesus pbuh more than Christians themselves. Christ refers to Prophet Jesus pbuh not the Christian doctrines which have been altered.

Can you link a fatwa or any scholar saying it's haram to have this name?

They will say, "Had we but listened or used our intelligence, we would not be among the companions of the Blazing Fire." Qur'an 67:10 💚💙💜

Comment

Originally posted by Qiyamah View Post
            What is wrong with having the name meaning follower of Christ
            Don't you think it's a bit confusing for a Muslim to be called Christian? :scratch:

Comment

[MENTION=135406]Qiyamah[/MENTION]

don't talk without knowledge. Even I didn't comment on this thread because of this.

Know your place.

No offense intended.
              You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by Umm Uthmaan View Post
                Don't you think it's a bit confusing for a Muslim to be called Christian? :scratch:
                I can't be bothered debating with someone who considers the christian name of "follower of christ" as a "good name"....

This isn't even the same as other christian names such as Michael, which is okay I think to still have. Christine is straight out an inappropriate name.

Comment

I can't be bothered debating with someone who considers the christian name of "follower of christ" as a "good name"....

This isn't even the same as other christian names such as Michael, which is okay I think to still have. Christine is straight out an inappropriate name.
                  I thought this was a non issue. Most reverts I know change their name out of love for the deen. They want to be called by a good islamic name. That of course doesn't mean that everybody should have an arabic name. There are many names with good meanings in other languages as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Umm Uthmaan View Post
                    Yea I mentioned that but still reverts have Christian or biblical names like John, Matthew, Mary, Joseph etc just because it's confusing doesn't make it haram

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
                    [MENTION=135406]Qiyamah[/MENTION]

don't talk without knowledge. Even I didn't comment on this thread because of this.

Know your place.

No offense intended.
                    What do you mean by know your place? So now I can't ask questions and ask for a fatwa? I raised valid points now he has to prove it's haram to have the name Christine, it's not allowed to make halal into haram and vice versa.

I agree it's better to have Nonchristian names so people don't get confused but I can't say all of those "Christian" names are haram and I didn't speak without knowledge I didn't even declare it was halal to have that name but I just questioned his argument since he didn't really provide evidence for why it's haram.

And my stance on this issue is I don't really know so I wanted atleast evidence.

Comment

Obv I know the difference between a nonarabic and an Arabic name, not all Muslims have Arabic names.

As long as the name with good meaning and not blasphemous it's islamically allowed idk what else u mean by Islamic. Even non Arabic names can be Islamically allowed.

Nonarabic names can have beautiful meanings too some Arabic names can have bad meanings too that's why the prophet :saw: changed some Arab's names.

Why is it inappropriate ? Muslims say they follow the way of Prophet Muhammad :saw: and Christ means the anointed one or chosen one in Greek even Yusuf Ali uses the title Christ for Prophet Isa pbuh in the translation of the Quran so do you think that's wrong too? Even Allah calls Jesus pbuh the messiah so that also means the anointed one so same meaning as Christ.
                      So it's also haram to have the name Jesus?

---
                      Quran 5:17

YUSUF ALI
                      In blasphemy indeed are those that say that Allah is Christ the son of Mary. Say: "Who then hath the least power against Allah, if His will were to destroy Christ the son of Mary, his mother, and all every - one that is on the earth? For to Allah belongeth the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all that is between. He createth what He pleaseth. For Allah hath power over all things."

SAHIH INTERNATIONAL
                      They have certainly disbelieved who say that Allah is Christ, the son of Mary. Say, "Then who could prevent Allah at all if He had intended to destroy Christ, the son of Mary, or his mother or everyone on the earth?" And to Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth and whatever is between them. He creates what He wills, and Allah is over all things competent.

http://quran.com/search?q=Christ

----
                      Actually being a follower of Christ means you are following Jesus's pbuh teaching and yes Jesus wasn't his real name but the name is referring to the same prophet. Muslims say they follow Jesus pbuh more than Christians themselves. Christ refers to Prophet Jesus pbuh not the Christian doctrines which have been altered.

Can you link a fatwa or any scholar saying it's haram to have this name?
                      The problem is its a bit like imitating kuffar, who calls eesa christ but the christian. Someone called christine would be by default thought to be christian or athiest. I think its best we differentiate from kuffar allahu3lam
                      [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][B][U][CENTER]Oh Allah, in your name, I die and live.[/CENTER][/U][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
                      [CENTER]:):lailah::lailah::lailah::lailah::)[/CENTER]

[B][CENTER]Ya Allah, Grant Me A Heart That Sees[/CENTER][/B]

Comment

Yea I mentioned that but still reverts have Christian or biblical names like John, Matthew, Mary, Joseph etc just because it's confusing doesn't make it haram
                        Because these names are are just names, they are nothing more than names and does not have a special meaning.

Christine however means literally follower of christ.

What do you mean by know your place? So now I can't ask questions and ask for a fatwa? I raised valid points now he has to prove it's haram to have the name Christine, it's not allowed to make halal into haram and vice versa.
                        Problem here is that you need to check again, no one declaring it haram. Saying something is inappropriate for a muslim doesn't mean that it's haram. Saying something is disliked, doesn't mean it's haram.

For example naming yourself after the Angels peace be upon them all is makrooh (disliked), but you have muslims who use the names because it's not haram.

But this is nothing as being named of being a follower of a Christianity, the name was created by christians to denote that this person follows the teaching of Christianity, the fact that you cannot understand this is an inappropiate name is beyond me.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. I figured this was the case. How soon after conversion do people usually change their names? I've chosen the name that I want. My wife is still working on finding one that she likes.

Comment

Originally posted by devbanana View Post
                            Thanks for the responses everyone. I figured this was the case. How soon after conversion do people usually change their names? I've chosen the name that I want. My wife is still working on finding one that she likes.
                            Hmm

Aisha and Fatima are very beautiful names.

What's yours?
                            You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
                              Hmm

Aisha and Fatima are very beautiful names.

What's yours?
                              I agree. I love the name Aisha, but she doesn't like it so much. :(

I chose the name Abdullah. I love the name and what it stands for.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X