Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off the shelf medicine capsules - shell contains gelatine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off the shelf medicine capsules - shell contains gelatine!

Assalam-o-alykum brothers and sisters. I hope you are well.

I am a Muslim (although I could be a FAR better Muslim) from the UK.
    I have been unwell in the last couple of days with a cold/flu and decided to try these "Cold and Flu" capsules from the supermarket.
    I read the ingredients on the packet at the back and all seemed fine.
    This morning I read the leaflet and it says that the capsule shell is made from gelatine! I could not believe this and was in complete shock and disbelief! Immediately I begged Allah for forgiveness. I had no knowledge of this but only AFTER purchasing and then later (After consumption) reading the leaflet.

Of course, you are not allowed to open anything you have not bought so I was not to know but furious that they have not been clear on the packet!

I then started to look around the house for other tablets that I take once in a while such as Nurofen and they also contain gelatine for the shell!

Can someone tell me why this is the case and how can a Muslim take painkillers if the shell contains gelatine? This is just unbelievable.

Thank you brothers and sisters - I am awaiting for your responses.

I feel absolutely betrayed.

Re: Off the shelf medicine capsules - shell contains gelatine!

Wa Alaykumussalam

A lot of capsules contain Gelatine, so what you should do is ask the pharmacist/doctor if there is an alternative form you can have them in, for example pills/liquid form often avoid the gelatine, if not normally there is a similar/replacement product. If all these fail to work, I'm not sure. I don't know the ruling on whether for medicinal purposes these can be consumed/not, and of course I don't want to speak without knowledge, Insha ' Allah someone more knowledgable can answer.
    Don't feel betrayed, you weren't aware, so you aren't to blame. I noticed this a while ago, just seems to be the way a lot/all medicinal capsules are, so asking for other forms/replacement medicines initially, and if those don't work, then having it may/mayn't be permissible, Insha ' Allah someone else can answer thi.s
    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record�
    [al-An�aam 6:59]

Comment

Originally posted by firehawk View Post
      Assalam-o-alykum brothers and sisters. I hope you are well.

I am a Muslim (although I could be a FAR better Muslim) from the UK.
      I have been unwell in the last couple of days with a cold/flu and decided to try these "Cold and Flu" capsules from the supermarket.
      I read the ingredients on the packet at the back and all seemed fine.
      This morning I read the leaflet and it says that the capsule shell is made from gelatine! I could not believe this and was in complete shock and disbelief! Immediately I begged Allah for forgiveness. I had no knowledge of this but only AFTER purchasing and then later (After consumption) reading the leaflet.

Of course, you are not allowed to open anything you have not bought so I was not to know but furious that they have not been clear on the packet!

I then started to look around the house for other tablets that I take once in a while such as Nurofen and they also contain gelatine for the shell!

Can someone tell me why this is the case and how can a Muslim take painkillers if the shell contains gelatine? This is just unbelievable.

Thank you brothers and sisters - I am awaiting for your responses.

I feel absolutely betrayed.
      Salam aleikoum,
      I have read something writing by scholars about gelatine in medicines. They say that the gelatine is transformed and can be authorised in the case of medicines(and other cases). This is a just a pist for you to search these informations on the internet or in your mosque, because there is a fatwa about it. This is the same case with some syrup, where you can find alcohol.
      An other example, there is a medicine with extract of pancreas of pork in powder (CREON) , which is authorised too , because there isn't other medicine to treat that pathology .
      And just to give you some informations, you can find gelatine in your bread, yogurt and many other things, and sometimes you can't have the information.

Today you can find in pharmacy some medicines in capsules with vegetal gelatine, and if you not find these capsules, just open your capsule, and take the powder in a small piece of bread. And try herbal medicines (with advices of your pharmacist) for your small pathologies. Personnally, I use allopathic medicine(very useful), and herbal medicines.
      Last edited by jasmine-e; 18-01-16, 03:02 PM.

Comment

not surprised. a lot of cough syrup in the US now contain alcohol; capules contain gelatin or magnesium stearate made from non-zabihah sources; and some medicines are coated with shellac (made from bugs). *sigh*... sticking to natural remedies for now..
        لآ اِلَهَ اِلّا اللّهُ مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُوُل اللّهِ

Comment

Originally posted by Aloo View Post
          not surprised. a lot of cough syrup in the US now contain alcohol; capules contain gelatin or magnesium stearate made from non-zabihah sources; and some medicines are coated with shellac (made from bugs). *sigh*... sticking to natural remedies for now..
          I didn't know for the bugs.
          I know that the cochineal (carmin) is used to coloured medicines . And I 've just read that danone in USA use carmin(which can cause allergies) to colour his yogurt.
          But please what is a "sigh" , I don't understand ?
          And natural is not "herbal" thank you for the information.

Comment

Im pretty sure I read a answer on islamqa.com allowing capsules to be taken even if it has gelatin in it...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X