Severe Paranoia and Assumptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe Paranoia and Assumptions

I am always so paranoid I always end up exposing myself. Like if I did something today and someone starts acting weird around me I would suddenly start confessing and assuming they know. My problem is I make assumptions and get paranoid about it later. I had lots of friends which I shared my deepest secrets with but I cut them out. I thought maybe they told everyone and I assumed everyone knew so I stopped talking to those people too. And my paranoia gets even worse! I can't use the bathroom without checking the shower curtains because my neighbours kids always come over and I always think they're hiding behind the shower curtains. I have to check twice to make sure they are not in there so I can have some privacy. What is wrong with me? Could I be mentally ill or is this normal?

Hi sis if it's really bothering you I would suggest you go see a doctor.Inshallah all goes well.

Comment

Re: Severe Paranoia and Assumptions

have you got the 'fortress of the Muslim' book? Its probably free if you order it online, also you can read it online. Just read the morning prayers section every morning if you can, listen to ruqya audio too and say 'authobillahi minash shaytaani rajeem' when you get these thoughts.
      assalaamu alaikum sister xx
      Abu Malik at-Ash'ari reported:

The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: Cleanliness is half of faith

and al-Hamdu Lillah (all praise and gratitude is for Allah alone) fills the scale, and Subhan Allah (Glory be to Allah)

and al-Hamdu Lillah fill up what is between the heavens and the earth, and prayer is a light,

and charity is proof (of one's faith)

and endurance is a brightness and the Holy Qur'an is a proof on your behalf or against you.

All men go out early in the morning and sell themselves, thereby setting themselves free or destroying themselves.

حَدَّثَنَا إِسْحَاقُ بْنُ مَنْصُورٍ، حَدَّثَنَا حَبَّانُ بْنُ هِلاَلٍ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبَانٌ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى، أَنَّ زَيْدًا، حَدَّثَهُ أَنَّ أَبَا سَلاَّمٍ حَدَّثَهُ عَنْ أَبِي مَالِكٍ الأَشْعَرِيِّ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ الطُّهُورُ شَطْرُ الإِيمَانِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلأُ الْمِيزَانَ ‏.‏ وَسُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلآنِ - أَوْ تَمْلأُ - مَا بَيْنَ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ وَالصَّلاَةُ نُورٌ وَالصَّدَقَةُ بُرْهَانٌ وَالصَّبْرُ ضِيَاءٌ وَالْقُرْآنُ حُجَّةٌ لَكَ أَوْ عَلَيْكَ كُلُّ النَّاسِ يَغْدُو فَبَائِعٌ نَفْسَهُ فَمُعْتِقُهَا أَوْ مُوبِقُهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Reference : Sahih Muslim 223
      In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 1
      USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 2, Hadith 432
      (deprecated numbering scheme)

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I thought maybe I had paranoia schizophrenia but I don't hallucinate so is it still possible?

Comment

Paranoic or ,schizophrenic, make sure that you avoid tablets. as they will aggravate your situation.Most mental conditions affect sleep.

Comment

No, what you're describing does not sound like schizophrenia, but just paranoia which can be a symptom of other conditions such as anxiety disorders or OCD or that sort of thing. Did the neighbour's kids actually hide behind the shower curtains in the past which has made you extra vigilant or is it just your paranoia that causes you to keep being suspicious about it? I agree with Laila, this sounds like a type of waswasa so reciting before you enter rooms can help with this. My guess would be this is perhaps being triggered by the stresses you're experiencing at home in terms of your dad mistreating you and your mum so that fear and anxiety is manifesting itself in other areas of your life making it harder to trust people in general.
            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

You should seek some professional help. It could be really bad anxiety, possibly OCD with all the compulsive behavior meant to 'counteract' all the paranoid thoughts, though ultimately none of us can say for sure.
              "Don't be too perfect; no one will want to talk to you. Maintain a flaw or two to keep yourself approachable." -My guide to being amazing

Comment

[QUOTE=neelu;6830556]No, what you're describing does not sound like schizophrenia, but just paranoia which can be a symptom of other conditions such as anxiety disorders or OCD or that sort of thing. Did the neighbour's kids actually hide behind the shower curtains in the past which has made you extra vigilant or is it just your paranoia that causes you to keep being suspicious about it? I agree with Laila, this sounds like a type of waswasa so reciting before you enter rooms can help with this. My guess would be this is perhaps being triggered by the stresses you're experiencing at home in terms of your dad mistreating you and your mum so that fear and anxiety is manifesting itself in other areas of your life making it harder to trust people in general.

I have only seen them behind there twice but that's it. I have to check behind the shower curtains at least 3 times to really make sure no one is in there. I think my problem is paranoia and making assumptions. For example I always assume people think I'm lying when I know I am not. To prove myself I swear on my life even when it's not something serious and by me swearing on my life it makes me look guilty. I don't know if I am actually suffering from something or if it is just waswas.

Comment

It could be waswas I don't know. My best friend suffers from a type of social anxiety disorder and I can see some definite parallels here, except that in your case, you keep feeling like people don't believe what you say and in his case, he thinks everyone is looking at him and ridiculing him. In both cases, it's an issue of being extremely self conscious when there's little reason to be.

As your neighbour's kids do hide behind the shower curtain sometimes, it is reasonable (and not paranoid) to check the curtain before using the bathroom, but checking it once is sufficient. Likewise, a little suspicion or anxiety is normal and healthy as it keeps you vigilant and prevents certain problems from arising, but too much suspicion is unhealthy and indicative of a low self esteem issue. Is there someone in your household who keeps putting you down verbally to make you feel worthless?
                  The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

[QUOTE=Rosine911;6830933]
                    Originally posted by neelu View Post
                    No, what you're describing does not sound like schizophrenia, but just paranoia which can be a symptom of other conditions such as anxiety disorders or OCD or that sort of thing. Did the neighbour's kids actually hide behind the shower curtains in the past which has made you extra vigilant or is it just your paranoia that causes you to keep being suspicious about it? I agree with Laila, this sounds like a type of waswasa so reciting before you enter rooms can help with this. My guess would be this is perhaps being triggered by the stresses you're experiencing at home in terms of your dad mistreating you and your mum so that fear and anxiety is manifesting itself in other areas of your life making it harder to trust people in general.

I have only seen them behind there twice but that's it. I have to check behind the shower curtains at least 3 times to really make sure no one is in there. I think my problem is paranoia and making assumptions. For example I always assume people think I'm lying when I know I am not. To prove myself I swear on my life even when it's not something serious and by me swearing on my life it makes me look guilty. I don't know if I am actually suffering from something or if it is just waswas.
                    Surely your doctor can work out which it is rather than worrying yourself about it. You need to remind yourself you may be overreacting and overthinking things when these thoughts enter your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosine911 View Post
                      I am always so paranoid I always end up exposing myself. Like if I did something today and someone starts acting weird around me I would suddenly start confessing and assuming they know. My problem is I make assumptions and get paranoid about it later. I had lots of friends which I shared my deepest secrets with but I cut them out. I thought maybe they told everyone and I assumed everyone knew so I stopped talking to those people too. And my paranoia gets even worse! I can't use the bathroom without checking the shower curtains because my neighbours kids always come over and I always think they're hiding behind the shower curtains. I have to check twice to make sure they are not in there so I can have some privacy. What is wrong with me? Could I be mentally ill or is this normal?
                      wa alaykumussalam, make Du'aa and visit a doctor sis. could attempt a guess, but they're the professionals who have studied for years to be able to diagnose, docs psychologists etc, so visit them as well as Du'aa and insha ' allah they can help you.

Comment

do you spend too much time on your own. have you lost someone recently or had some big major sad event in your life?

have you had a disagreement or tiff with anyone recently, maybe someone of high status
                        Salaams, I understand this is a religious forum and as a result their may be some very religious folk or sensitive folk on here. As I result I need to ask that my comments/posts if found offensive in anyway then please dont read them otherwise take with a pinch of salt. I do not wish to get into a serious argument over religious issues which I believe are either black or white.

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                          It could be waswas I don't know. My best friend suffers from a type of social anxiety disorder and I can see some definite parallels here, except that in your case, you keep feeling like people don't believe what you say and in his case, he thinks everyone is looking at him and ridiculing him. In both cases, it's an issue of being extremely self conscious when there's little reason to be.

As your neighbour's kids do hide behind the shower curtain sometimes, it is reasonable (and not paranoid) to check the curtain before using the bathroom, but checking it once is sufficient. Likewise, a little suspicion or anxiety is normal and healthy as it keeps you vigilant and prevents certain problems from arising, but too much suspicion is unhealthy and indicative of a low self esteem issue. Is there someone in your household who keeps putting you down verbally to make you feel worthless?

Whenever I go out I feel like people are laughing and talking about me and no I don't hallucinate! For example whenever I say something ppl just laugh when there is absolutely nothing funny. I feel like they are laughing at my stupidity:(

Comment

psychiatrists won't do nothing but prescribe anti-psychotics. Right now the last thing I want to do is go on meds. These medications have really bad side effects.

Comment

^
                              You might have a delusional disorder without actually having schizo, but only a doctor or psychologist can make the diagnosis. This might be triggered or exacerbated by your mood - you seem to be in a very tense situation at home... And sometimes, people that are very depressed (or in a maniac state) can get psychotic features (hallucinations / delusions) that pop out of nowhere. This does not make you schizo. There are many other psychiatric diagnoses in which paranoia and delusions are a part. Examples: major depression with psychotic features, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder...

Just because you go see a psychiatrist doesn't mean that you have to take the meds they'll prescribe to you, assuming they prescribe meds to you.
                              You can let them know that you'd prefer not to take meds unless you really have to. Most docs will understand this and make suggestions, but it's up to you in the end to decide whether you'll take them or not.
                              And even if you do take meds for a short trial, that doesn't mean that you'll have to stay on them for the rest of your life. And besides, not everybody gets the same side effects - some are common and some are rare, and it depends on what specific med you're put on, for how long + everyone's different. I know some people for whom antidepressants made a big difference, and others for whom it did next to nothing. But there's very little harm in giving it a try.

Now, there are other options apart from 'shrinks' if you're not too enthusiastic about them, like psychologists or even family doctors. There might be more options depending on where you live. If you attend university, there might be various councilors who could try and help you out (and this help is usually free). So seek out the resources available in your community. There's very little that we can do to help you online apart from encouraging you and making suggestions.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X