Can I ignore the hanafi madhab with regards to Witr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I ignore the hanafi madhab with regards to Witr

I know that a layman is reccomended to follow a madhab, and I do, I mostly imitate hanafi opinion. I am not expert, but from what I've been taught, and based on what my family, I guess I'm a hanafi.

But according to islamqa, the reality is that Islam doesn't really oblige the Muslim to follow a madhab. I agree, you have no right to force people to follow one of the four madhabs. Islamqa said that sure, a layman can use a madhab as a basis for knowledge.

Which is what I do, I mainly follow hanafi. Islamqa says that all madhabs are prone to correctness, and incorrectness. But at the end of the day, I should follow the Quran and Sunnah.

When it comes to the Witr salah, I have been praying it the hanafi way (like Maghrib). But I have found that with regards to how Witr is done, hanafis position is the weakest. Everywhere I go, the most sound opinion is that it SHOULD NOT be done similarly to maghrib. Rather it should be done with three continuous rakats with one sitting.

Surely, since this is the most correct opinion, no one can force me to staying exclusive to the hanafi madhab. My point is, the hanafi madhab has a weak position on this, and is likely to be incorrect. I as a muslim should follow what seems more sound and correct, because I at the end of the day am following Quran and Sunnah.

So surely, to ensure my worship is most correct, because my madhab has the least sound opinion, can I pray Witr in the way that has 3 continuous rakat with one sitting? So I can make that it doesn't resemble Maghrib?

I mainly imitate hanafi madhab, but I want to pray Witr in the other opinion that is more sound.

I no longer want to pray Witr as it is in the hanafi fiqh because in hanafi it is done like Maghrib, which in the most sound opinion is incorrect.

Furthermore, the most sound opinion is that Witr is a sunnah salat, not wajib like stated by the less sound hanafi. Again, I'm not obliged to remain loyal to the hanafi just because I am a layman. I use the hanafi as a basis, but because there is another opinion that is more sound, I can follow that which seems more correct to Quran and Sunnah?

Here is the islamqa link on the matter:

https://islamqa.info/en/21420

Re: Can I ignore the hanafi madhab with regards to Witr

You must since you are not ignorant any longer. And you ask about it being permissible.

And a quick heads up: There are some who will post nonsense like you can't understand the evidences and you are a stupid layman to force you to play dumb - ignore them.
    You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Just follow what islamqa has said about this
      "There will never cease to remain a group from my Ummah fighting upon the command of Allah, subjugating their enemies. They are not harmed by those who oppose them, until the Hour arrives".

Comment

I thought it was any odd number of rakat with one sitting? 1, 3, or 5 etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
          I thought it was any odd number of rakat with one sitting? 1, 3, or 5 etc.
          Yes that is correct, any odd number, 1, 3, 5, 7, 11. However, the hanafi madhab locks it to 3 rakats, and had two sittings, but I've been told this is very wrong. And because the odd number opinion is more sound, i have to go with what seems more correct to QURAN and SUNNAH, not hanafis opinion which is prone to being incorrect.

So although I am a hanafi, I will discontinue praying Witr the hanafi way because it is proven to be incorrect.

Comment

Also, this is off-topic, but can you guys help with this.

I'd like your opinion on something else. You know how I have an intention problem for salah? I've started doing something that so far, has proven to make my salah easier. I have begun doing verbal intention. I know it is an innovation, and it is not needed, and I myself was skeptical about it. But I've found it helps me rid the waswas and gets rid of my confusion.

So do you think I can continue doing this?

Comment

:salams

"Everywhere I go, the most sound opinion is that it SHOULD NOT be done similarly to maghrib.
              "

"Everywhere" you go is not a valid basis for changing an opinion. If you have studied the issue with a scholar then want to change an opinion then maybe I can see a basis for it.

Originally posted by someone12 View Post
              So although I am a hanafi, I will discontinue praying Witr the hanafi way because it is proven to be incorrect.
              It is perfectly correct and valid. Anyone who says it's "incorrect" is incorrect himself.
              Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
              - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Originally posted by someone12 View Post
                I know that a layman is reccomended to follow a madhab, and I do, I mostly imitate hanafi opinion. I am not expert, but from what I've been taught, and based on what my family, I guess I'm a hanafi.

But according to islamqa, the reality is that Islam doesn't really oblige the Muslim to follow a madhab. I agree, you have no right to force people to follow one of the four madhabs. Islamqa said that sure, a layman can use a madhab as a basis for knowledge.

Which is what I do, I mainly follow hanafi. Islamqa says that all madhabs are prone to correctness, and incorrectness. But at the end of the day, I should follow the Quran and Sunnah.

When it comes to the Witr salah, I have been praying it the hanafi way (like Maghrib). But I have found that with regards to how Witr is done, hanafis position is the weakest. Everywhere I go, the most sound opinion is that it SHOULD NOT be done similarly to maghrib. Rather it should be done with three continuous rakats with one sitting.

Surely, since this is the most correct opinion, no one can force me to staying exclusive to the hanafi madhab. My point is, the hanafi madhab has a weak position on this, and is likely to be incorrect. I as a muslim should follow what seems more sound and correct, because I at the end of the day am following Quran and Sunnah.

So surely, to ensure my worship is most correct, because my madhab has the least sound opinion, can I pray Witr in the way that has 3 continuous rakat with one sitting? So I can make that it doesn't resemble Maghrib?

I mainly imitate hanafi madhab, but I want to pray Witr in the other opinion that is more sound.

I no longer want to pray Witr as it is in the hanafi fiqh because in hanafi it is done like Maghrib, which in the most sound opinion is incorrect.

Furthermore, the most sound opinion is that Witr is a sunnah salat, not wajib like stated by the less sound hanafi. Again, I'm not obliged to remain loyal to the hanafi just because I am a layman. I use the hanafi as a basis, but because there is another opinion that is more sound, I can follow that which seems more correct to Quran and Sunnah?

Here is the islamqa link on the matter:

https://islamqa.info/en/21420

I would advise you to stick to a madhhab and follow what it says. Because it becomes easier for yourself and also the vast majority of us do not have the knowledge to look at the various sources and weigh them against each other. Or you can always have an alim you trust and ask him questions.

Regardless the whole discussion is ultimately about the difference in the terminology wasjib and fard. Both parties have their sources.
                No one who has learned Qurān and then forgotten it except due to a sin he has committed

Comment

Islamqa .info itself is not infallible. Also, adding 'This is the correct view' at the bottom line does not make it an absolute 'correct view'.
                  “You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!”

Comment

Originally posted by I See You View Post
                    Islamqa .info itself is not infallible. Also, adding 'This is the correct view' at the bottom line does not make it an absolute 'correct view'.
                    And the Hanafi madhab is, right?
                    You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
                      And the Hanafi madhab is, right?
                      Let's see, Hanafi madhab is not only Imam Abu Hanifah (fallible) but numerous great scholars to correct what's incorrect. So if someone tells me that their method of salah is 'incorrect', I won't buy that. Though I don't agree with their ruling :) One may ask, how is that ? Coz we have our proofs, they have theirs. Simple
                      Last edited by I See You; 02-01-16, 07:12 AM. Reason: fallible... I wrote infallible in error
                      “You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!”

Comment

Let's see, Hanafi madhab is not only Imam Abu Hanifah (infallible) but numerous great scholars to correct what's incorrect. So if someone tells me that their method of salah is 'incorrect', I won't buy that. Though I don't agree with their ruling :) One may ask, how is that ? Coz we have our proofs, they have theirs. Simple
                        Ever heard of ta'asub?

Ever actually read the books of fiqh of the Ahnaaf?

Ever come across statements like this?

“May the curse of Allah be upon those who do rad of Abu Haneefah”

Ever?

Also you called Imam Abu Haneefah rahimahullah infallible???
                        Last edited by Linkdeutscher; 02-01-16, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
                          Ever heard of ta'asub?

Ever actually read the books of fiqh of the Ahnaaf?

Ever come across statements like this?

“May the curse of Allah be upon those who do rad of Abu Haneefah”

Ever?

Also you called Imam Abu Haneefah rahimahullah infallible???
                          Sorry, that should be fallible. I corrected it.

I don't follow Hanafi madhab.

Comment

Sorry, that should be fallible. I corrected it.

I don't follow Hanafi madhab.
                            I know. Neither do I.

Comment

Can I ignore the hanafi madhab with regards to Witr

It depends who you ask that question.

Ask a Hanafi, and he will tell you no.

Ask a Shaafi and he will give you the following answer

Ibn Salah said: If a Shaafi finds a Hadith which opposes his Madhab, then if the criteria of Ijtihaad is present in him or in respect to that chapter or matter, he has the right to act on it. But if the criteria of Ijtihaad is not present in him and it is hard upon him that he is opposing the Hadith after having done research and does not find any satisfactory answer to the opposition then he can act upon the Hadith provided that an Imaam [who is a Mujtahid] has acted upon the Hadith and this will be an excuse for him in leaving his Imaams Madhab in this situation. [المجموع شرح المهذب]

Ask those who do not adhere to Madhabs, and you will get the green light without any stipulations.

Really, depends who you ask.
                              Watch those eyes

Comment

Working...
                              X