Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I do this to combat the Major waswaas with intention for prayer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I do this to combat the Major waswaas with intention for prayer?

Aslaamu Alaikum. I have started doing something whereby I am hoping I can permanently get rid of this "intention problem". Some of you may think why I have such a problem with intention, probably the most minor effort thing in prayer. Recently I have had MAJOR waswaas which cause me to stand there and keep pondering on it. I then would keep going over it again in my head, acknowledging it is said prayer time, and acknowledging in my head, "Isha....salat.....fard....Isha..fard...obligatory ".

When it's Isha time, instead of thinking it "Isha Fard..Isha fard salat", I just want to simply acknowledge "Isha salat". That's it. Why do I need to use the word "fard" in my head. I already know, this is one of the 5 daily prayers at one of the 5 daily times, we all know it is fard. It is always stressed as fard by the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and by Allah (SWT) in the Quran. Is this fine (my proposed solution of just acknowledging the prayer's name alone)? Is this what you do?

When I am doing a fard prayer, I know for certain I am not praying a sunnah or a nafl or a witr salah (which is what I worry about being confused with, but perhaps it's shaytaan confusing me so I overdo it), so I'm certain I'm praying the fard, but to make things simple I just want to acknowledge "Isha salat" at Isha time, or "Fajr salat" at Fajr.

If I was doing a sunnah, I'd just know this is voluntary and is sunnah at know it is the certain time right now. But as of recent, because of my problems I have put voluntary prayers on hiatus.

And if I stand for prayer, and I know what I want to do deep down inside, but I still feel really confused and have no motivation to do the takbir, can I just resort to this, "Allah you know best. Allah has said many times in the Quran, there is nothing he isn't aware.Allah knows every little detail, he is all-knowing. There is no way Allah would be confused or not know my intention. There is nothing Allah doesn't know". And then just raise hands say Allahu akbar, whatever feelings hit my heart, ignore them. And then place my hands on my navel and start praying and finish, and simply hope Allah accepts. If I did do an accidental major mistake, then Allah will forgive me because there was nothing I could do because of this problem I have, and I never volunteered to have this problem.

So the most easy thing is that at Isha time, I raise my hands and now it is Isha salat I'm prayer. You may say, "it's Isha time! What else would be praying!". Good point.. But what if it's Isha time and I have to make Qada for Maghrib.

This is another type of intention I get problems with. When I make Qada for a missed prayer that I missed TODAY (like I woke up late for Fajr and the sun had risen) it gets more confusing. Because then I keep restressing in my head, "for TODAY's Fajr....Qada....today's Fajr....indeed I'm making Qada for the fard". I keep trying to stress it is the fard I want to make Qada for, as I worry it isn't sound enough. But I also acknowledge that they say "there is no Qada for a sunnah or nafl prayer. Only fard prayers who must make up for, though you shouldn't miss them in the first place".

Answers to the main question, "Can I do this to combat the Major waswaas with intention for prayer?", will be appreciated, may Allah reward you for your help.

Re: Can I do this to combat the Major waswaas with intention for prayer?

Originally posted by someone12 View Post
    Aslaamu Alaikum. I have started doing something whereby I am hoping I can permanently get rid of this "intention problem". Some of you may think why I have such a problem with intention, probably the most minor effort thing in prayer. Recently I have had MAJOR waswaas which cause me to stand there and keep pondering on it. I then would keep going over it again in my head, acknowledging it is said prayer time, and acknowledging in my head, "Isha....salat.....fard....Isha..fard...obligatory ".

When it's Isha time, instead of thinking it "Isha Fard..Isha fard salat", I just want to simply acknowledge "Isha salat". That's it. Why do I need to use the word "fard" in my head. I already know, this is one of the 5 daily prayers at one of the 5 daily times, we all know it is fard. It is always stressed as fard by the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and by Allah (SWT) in the Quran. Is this fine (my proposed solution of just acknowledging the prayer's name alone)? Is this what you do?

When I am doing a fard prayer, I know for certain I am not praying a sunnah or a nafl or a witr salah (which is what I worry about being confused with, but perhaps it's shaytaan confusing me so I overdo it), so I'm certain I'm praying the fard, but to make things simple I just want to acknowledge "Isha salat" at Isha time, or "Fajr salat" at Fajr.

If I was doing a sunnah, I'd just know this is voluntary and is sunnah at know it is the certain time right now. But as of recent, because of my problems I have put voluntary prayers on hiatus.

And if I stand for prayer, and I know what I want to do deep down inside, but I still feel really confused and have no motivation to do the takbir, can I just resort to this, "Allah you know best. Allah has said many times in the Quran, there is nothing he isn't aware.Allah knows every little detail, he is all-knowing. There is no way Allah would be confused or not know my intention. There is nothing Allah doesn't know". And then just raise hands say Allahu akbar, whatever feelings hit my heart, ignore them. And then place my hands on my navel and start praying and finish, and simply hope Allah accepts. If I did do an accidental major mistake, then Allah will forgive me because there was nothing I could do because of this problem I have, and I never volunteered to have this problem.

So the most easy thing is that at Isha time, I raise my hands and now it is Isha salat I'm prayer. You may say, "it's Isha time! What else would be praying!". Good point.. But what if it's Isha time and I have to make Qada for Maghrib.

This is another type of intention I get problems with. When I make Qada for a missed prayer that I missed TODAY (like I woke up late for Fajr and the sun had risen) it gets more confusing. Because then I keep restressing in my head, "for TODAY's Fajr....Qada....today's Fajr....indeed I'm making Qada for the fard". I keep trying to stress it is the fard I want to make Qada for, as I worry it isn't sound enough. But I also acknowledge that they say "there is no Qada for a sunnah or nafl prayer. Only fard prayers who must make up for, though you shouldn't miss them in the first place".

Answers to the main question, "Can I do this to combat the Major waswaas with intention for prayer?", will be appreciated, may Allah reward you for your help.
    Wa Alaykumussalam

Brother may Allah s.w.t reward you for the struggle that you go through.

It could be Wasawasa, so keep making Du'aa for this to go away

I remember your other post about checking the time continually for prayers, have you heard of OCD before?

And regarding answering your question, I don't know the Islamic perspective, but i'll bump this and insha ' allah someone with more knowledge can answer.
    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
    [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

:salams

Hello there brother. I used to go through the same problem before . I did some research and to my surprise it was never recorded that the prophet Mohammad (saw) or any of his companions actually uttered the "intention to pray" before any prayer. Truth is, this is an innovation. Some people think it is a good one, others not.

Allah knows what's in your heart, and if the prophet didn't do it it should mean something. I find it that actually saying it out loud confuses you and brings these kind of problems.

You will be more than okay if you simply don't say anything.

Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by ielfakih View Post

Hello there brother. I used to go through the same problem before . I did some research and to my surprise it was never recorded that the prophet Mohammad (saw) or any of his companions actually uttered the "intention to pray" before any prayer. Truth is, this is an innovation. Some people think it is a good one, others not.

Allah knows what's in your heart, and if the prophet didn't do it it should mean something. I find it that actually saying it out loud confuses you and brings these kind of problems.

You will be more than okay if you simply don't say anything.

Peace.
        Walaykum salaam brother. Thanks for your reply. But my problem never involves uttering it. It involves thinking of the words in my head. You know how you talk to yourself in your head? You imagine your voice in your head? Well I used to think the words "I intend to to such and such" and found that this too caused me great hardship as using words, whether it was verbal or mental was confusing for me.

What I want to do, is just simply do a takbir with the knowledge of what I am doing, without having to go into detail about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
          Wa Alaykumussalam

Brother may Allah s.w.t reward you for the struggle that you go through.

It could be Wasawasa, so keep making Du'aa for this to go away

I remember your other post about checking the time continually for prayers, have you heard of OCD before?

And regarding answering your question, I don't know the Islamic perspective, but i'll bump this and insha ' allah someone with more knowledge can answer.
          Walaykum salaam. Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I had terrible OCD as a young child (but it had nothing to do with worship back then), but in this case it is waswaas with worship.

I do have another question. Recently I have found myself praying in jamats more at my college because they have a prayer room there. I have found this to be REALLY relaxing and a great solution. The problem reduces TENFOLD with a jamat because I know I am praying with 5-10 other people, so surely I should stop these silly waswaas. And alhamdulillah I have also found my individual prayers at home improving.

But to put my heart at ease, I want to know what I am doing can be correct. I am just going take it that if Allah knows what prayer I want to do (which means I also know) then I do not need to go into detail of acknowledgement prior to takbir, because if I do I will submit myself into a plague of waswaas from hell, whereby I'll stand there for a long time and not get anything done. So to combat this, I'll just think "Allah knows what I will do" and say takbir. And think about it, if I knew what I wanted to do, so much so that I am this obsessive about (enough to make a post online to this forum) then would I be held accountable for this reason on judgement day. Allah is just. So my imaan is making me incline to YES. I think I've answered my own question for this thread. The deen is easy. No way would it be hard, it's time I put my foot down and end this year of suffering.

Because easiest prayers for me to start is the jamats. When the imam says Allahu Akber, what do I do? Do I stand there and think in my mind "I intend....behind the imam....such and such", no I don't do that, I just raise my hands and also say takbir. Why? Because I without doubt know it is Zuhr/Asr/Maghrib time, and we are doing the same prayer, and we are praying the Jummah/obligatory zuhr/asr/maghrib.

Subhanallah. Yeah, I've just answered my own question.

Comment

Walaykum salaam. Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I had terrible OCD as a young child (but it had nothing to do with worship back then), but in this case it is waswaas with worship.

I do have another question. Recently I have found myself praying in jamats more at my college because they have a prayer room there. I have found this to be REALLY relaxing and a great solution. The problem reduces TENFOLD with a jamat because I know I am praying with 5-10 other people, so surely I should stop these silly waswaas. And alhamdulillah I have also found my individual prayers at home improving.

But to put my heart at ease, I want to know what I am doing can be correct. I am just going take it that if Allah knows what prayer I want to do (which means I also know) then I do not need to go into detail of acknowledgement prior to takbir, because if I do I will submit myself into a plague of waswaas from hell, whereby I'll stand there for a long time and not get anything done. So to combat this, I'll just think "Allah knows what I will do" and say takbir. And think about it, if I knew what I wanted to do, so much so that I am this obsessive about (enough to make a post online to this forum) then would I be held accountable for this reason on judgement day. Allah is just. So my imaan is making me incline to YES. I think I've answered my own question for this thread. The deen is easy. No way would it be hard, it's time I put my foot down and end this year of suffering.

Because easiest prayers for me to start is the jamats. When the imam says Allahu Akber, what do I do? Do I stand there and think in my mind "I intend....behind the imam....such and such", no I don't do that, I just raise my hands and also say takbir. Why? Because I without doubt know it is Zuhr/Asr/Maghrib time, and we are doing the same prayer, and we are praying the Jummah/obligatory zuhr/asr/maghrib.

Subhanallah. Yeah, I've just answered my own question.
            you are very welcome. Subhanallah you just answered your own question, you can't help the OCD affecting you, so do as you said brother, because insha ' allah that will be fine. May Allah s.w.t reward you for all your struggles and effort. Ameen.
            [MENTION=40692]ZeeshanParvez[/MENTION] - just so you can double check this please. jazakhallahu khairan akhi.
            And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
            [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Originally posted by ielfakih View Post

Brother, there have been some Jurists who have said it is Sunnah to utter it with the tongue and their evidence is that the mention of uttering the intention has come in narrations regarding Hajj, and so based on Qiyaas they have said one should do this in prayer. Just something I wished to share with you, not for the purpose of promoting it or getting you to do it, but to share knowledge. Hope you do not take it in the wrong sense. People get very defensive on forums!

Walaykum salaam brother. Thanks for your reply. But my problem never involves uttering it. It involves thinking of the words in my head. You know how you talk to yourself in your head? You imagine your voice in your head? Well I used to think the words "I intend to to such and such" and found that this too caused me great hardship as using words, whether it was verbal or mental was confusing for me.

What I want to do, is just simply do a takbir with the knowledge of what I am doing, without having to go into detail about it.
              When it's Isha time, instead of thinking it "Isha Fard..Isha fard salat", I just want to simply acknowledge "Isha salat". That's it. Why do I need to use the word "fard" in my head. I already know, this is one of the 5 daily prayers at one of the 5 daily times, we all know it is fard.
              Waswasa is a problem many go through. Do not worry about it. Here are some quotes from a Fatwaa which suggest that what you are doing is fine, in Shaa Allah

فإذا قمت إلى الصلاة وعلمت أنك ستصلي الظهر مثلا، فقد حصلت النية

When you stand up for prayer and you know that you are going to pray Zuhr, for example, then you have attained the intention. [This is what I see you are doing from what you have written]

ولو غابت عنك نية الظهر مثلا، ولكنك تعلم أنك ستصلي فريضة الوقت فقد حصلت النية أيضا في قول كثير من الفقهاء، وهو إحدى الروايتين عن أحمد

And if you miss the intention of Zuhr, for example, but you know that you are going to pray [the prayer] which is obligatory at the given time, even then you have attained the intention according to the majority of Jurists. And this is also one narration from Ahmad.

Reference(s):

كيفية استحضار النية في الصلاة والغسل من الجنابة
              Watch those eyes

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post

Brother, there have been some Jurists who have said it is Sunnah to utter it with the tongue and their evidence is that the mention of uttering the intention has come in narrations regarding Hajj, and so based on Qiyaas they have said one should do this in prayer. Just something I wished to share with you, not for the purpose of promoting it or getting you to do it, but to share knowledge. Hope you do not take it in the wrong sense. People get very defensive on forums!

Waswasa is a problem many go through. Do not worry about it. Here are some quotes from a Fatwaa which suggest that what you are doing is fine, in Shaa Allah

When you stand up for prayer and you know that you are going to pray Zuhr, for example, then you have attained the intention. [This is what I see you are doing from what you have written]

ولو غابت عنك نية الظهر مثلا، ولكنك تعلم أنك ستصلي فريضة الوقت فقد حصلت النية أيضا في قول كثير من الفقهاء، وهو إحدى الروايتين عن أحمد

And if you miss the intention of Zuhr, for example, but you know that you are going to pray [the prayer] which is obligatory at the given time, even then you have attained the intention according to the majority of Jurists. And this is also one narration from Ahmad.

Reference(s):

كيفية استحضار النية في الصلاة والغسل من الجنابة
                Thank you brother, and as for this part....

"

When you stand up for prayer and you know that you are going to pray Zuhr, for example, then you have attained the intention. [This is what I see you are doing from what you have written]"

So if we are defining terms, if one was to say Zuhr prayer, does the term Zuhr mean the fard prayer?

Do I make sense?

When we say "I'm praying Zuhr", that means we're praying the fard. The word "Zuhr" these days would refer to the fard prayer. I mean, you don't hear people at mosque saying "okay salaam, I'm going to go pray Zuhr fard now/asr fard/maghrib fard". So yeah, thanks for your help brother.

Comment

Thank you brother, and as for this part....

"

When you stand up for prayer and you know that you are going to pray Zuhr, for example, then you have attained the intention. [This is what I see you are doing from what you have written]"

So if we are defining terms, if one was to say Zuhr prayer, does the term Zuhr mean the fard prayer?

Do I make sense?

When we say "I'm praying Zuhr", that means we're praying the fard. The word "Zuhr" these days would refer to the fard prayer. I mean, you don't hear people at mosque saying "okay salaam, I'm going to go pray Zuhr fard now/asr fard/maghrib fard". So yeah, thanks for your help brother.
                  Yes, if you go at the time of Zuhr to the congregation with Zuhr in mind it would mean Fard.

If, however, the time has elapsed and you get up to pray it you know inside you that you are going to pray a Qadaa which is Zuhr. So, the thinking in your mind with specific words does not seem necessary but only contributes to Waswasa. I know I have had serious problems with it in the past. I wonder if I could even do it today, which I doubt.
                  Watch those eyes

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post

Don't worry about me getting defensive brother, I actually appreciate the effort. Jazaak Allah khairan. The thing is many people, like our brother and myself, get too tangled up in saying things so it becomes counterproductive. All I wanted to say to him is what you said later in your post: if you stand up to pray your dohor prayer, that by itself should define your intention.

Peace.

Comment

Working...
                    X